OCR01545 - EarthBound "Home Again"

djpretzel

2:32 to 2:34:...again'd and...

This is a beautifully sung and arranged remix, but as beautiful as it is, and how glad I am when this ends up playing on shuffle, this somehow distracts me for a moment. I guess in the sense that it literally means, it is a 'noticable flaw' and it distracts from the rest of the piece, but really, I've heard this probably 25+ times in the short(ish) time it has been out, and it is still a pleasure to hear it, which is something only accomplishable by only a handful of OCRemixes I've heard.

Great mix, especially for something supposedly 'thrown together'. n_n

• 1 year later...

Holy crap. I am not going to lie and say as I was first listening to this, I was like this is pretty good. Then I read in the brief that there was a vocal part at the end. I was like well there goes this mix.. But to my suprise, that is what made me love this mix! The only thing I hate, like what others have said, is that it ends soo abruptly. I wish North would think about going back and finishing this right. His vocal ability is unlike anything i've ever heard on ocr and I think it should be used more often! Wow this mix is good.

• 8 months later...

Some people may find this strange, but I think Polyanna is one of the finest videogame tunes that doesn't happen to resemble a videogame tune at all. It's pretty amazing that such a simple yet strong melody was left undiscovered by so many facets until SNES-era gaming. It could easily belong as the centrepiece of a film soundtrack or a soppy love ballad on an artist's record. I think it's a big win for gamers that we happen to have music that can hit it big with the rest of them.

Anyway, enough about the actual source tune, onto the mix.

I disagree with absolutely everyone saying that the vocals should come in earlier or get extended a little more. For me, that wpuld ruin the whole point of the mix. The vocals are the final burst of all the good and warmness that the track (and the album) represents, and to play that burst too long would take from its effectiveness. For me it is the highest peak of a pretty stellar rendition of the theme, and that's because it was an exclamation point to the mix as a whole. Brief but brilliant.

There is a boy-band sunny ballad vibe with the mix, which usually conjures connotations of overproduced mainstream junk. But quite the opposite, despite having that sort of sound, there's a nice restraint here. Things sound clean but not glossy, sweet but not sickly. Basically, if boybands sounded more like this, I wouldn't have as much against them.

As far as doing one of my favourite game tracks justice, I consider this a huge success. As far as creating a great sounding standalone track and a resonant finale for a project album, it's an even bigger success. Very lovable stuff.

• 3 months later...

Short & sweet, just like this review. jkjk :razz:

This reminds me of something I might here on St. Valentine's Day.

It's just so sweetly heartwarming. Also North's vocals are Amazing.

I can't really think of much criticism for it, it's just so... so... innocent.

Simply, just go listen to it; it really is astounding.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dale North - A great remixer and I'm so glad you returned to post this awesome tune! Seriously too bad you're not posting anymore, totally awesome!

- - -

The source material is my favorite song of all time. It just seems to be so much more than generic game music. That said, this remix stays so beautifully true and a piece that really just needs to be played. I've had this track on my ipod sense it was released and thanks to it I can now sing the first verse to the song as well! 10/10 - My favorite mix on the site.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been a lurker on OCR for a good six years or more, but I had to register to post a comment on this remix. It's. Amazing. The (stunning) vocals were an incredible surprise: I felt like a kid suddenly handed Christmas morning! And then it ended. And I felt like a kid suddenly deprived of my Christmas morning—and next year's Christmas, too. Can I beg for an encore?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't even believe how much I've been listening to this song on repeat. It is beautiful, nostalgic, and heartrending. I do wish that Dale North had made a separate track, a full vocal version of this song. Nonetheless, this remix is perfection and always leaves me wanting and wishing for more.

He can say how much he hates this song, and that this was just slapped together, blah blah blah. He has an amazing voice and I wish we could hear it more. This song has become my favorite remix ever.

• 8 months later...

This is beautiful man. Seriously, that piano and the guitar as well as the other instruments were fine on their own, but then Dale's voice comes in and just blows everything out of the water. While having one verse at the end kinda makes me wish he just went ahead and at least started a little earlier because it makes you want a little more, it's nice for a replay effect when you don't see it coming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01545 - EarthBound "Home Again"