OCR01547 - Dr. Mario "Burning Up"

djpretzel

Damn. This is just plain awesome. I've always been a huge fan of all of Dj Redlight's songs (especially his original stuff on his site), and this one definitely goes right to the top of my fav's from him. There's just so much cool stuff going on in there (which really works well with the souce), making this extremely fun to listen to.

Excellent stuff!

My mom's favorite old NES game. Appropriate it gets posted to OCR on her birthday!

Not duly impressed - I like the synth and the interpretation on the melody is fresh - but its lacking a certain depth. Maybe I was expecting too much from music from a puzzle game? Also, the abrupt pause at the end of the first repeat of the melody is noticeably missing - a integral element of the tone of the piece, in my opinion. Again, though, I find the remixing to be very imaginative and appropriate while maintaining the integrity of the original.

It's no wonder djp direct posted this.

Those familiar with Redlight's previous mixes immediately recognize the main synth used. In the case of myself, I rather wish some other sample was used since it reminds me of his sad and lonely Descent mix. Placing it in this extremely hyper song is a bit weird since it sounds like a sad and lonely synth, perhaps simply just from hearing that other song.

Some parts are way more enjoyable than others. Maybe putting it in my car won't seem so bad. It seems to have a bunch of integrity to keep it from losing taste in such a situation as a car-drive. Then I could crank it loud and feel those RHYTHMS AND BASSz. Speaking of which, I just noticed that behind all the insanity is a lone repetitive bass kick and snare drum. Maybe it was like that in the original? Regardless, I would have liked some more insanity from it (or at least variation).

Speaking of which, I just noticed that behind all the insanity is a lone repetitive bass kick and snare drum. Maybe it was like that in the original? Regardless, I would have liked some more insanity from it (or at least variation).

What drives this song is the high energy effects on that D&B loop. Yeah, the loop isn't that great, and could use some fills in a few spots, specially towards the end. However, it doesn't really matter, as the song still freaking RULES!

and yes...that IS an organ solo...I was just howling when I heard it :D

Thanks for the great reviews guys.

As far as samples go, the b3 sample set came from the awesome (and free) electromechanical refill from www.propellerhead.se, which i think sounds great. The refill includes a whole bunch of multilayered sample sets of classic electric pianos and organs (b3, whirley, rhodes). The other samples i used were some recordings of the original Doctor Mario sfx from my NES, which i was stunned to find it still actually worked, and that "is there a doctor in the house?" thing, which was me! :P i recorded and vocoded myself using reason's vocoder.

Everything else was synthesized using reason's synths, malstrom and subtractor.. (mostly subtractor, <3 subtractor). I program all of my synth sounds from scratch and its a major part of what inspires me musically. Using samples and loops doesnt really give me that same satisfaction, So i pretty much stick to single hit percussive samples, multilayered musical instruments and anything i record live.

And as for things rotting on my hd, i'm shocking like that. I have a 'my shit' folder with years worth of half finished ideas, 10 minute mess abouts and absolute rubbish i produce just for a laugh including songs about canned pears and midgets.

Thanks again for the comments everyone :)

Ashley

This mix makes me want to go bulldoze something-probably because the organ makes it seem so Blast Corpsian (anyone else get that feeling?). This is one of the best mixes I've heard in quite some time. Nice use of the "game over" music at the end. I'd like to hear an extended version of this sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01547 - Dr. Mario "Burning Up"