OCR00616 - Mega Man: The Wily Wars "Break the Beat in Half, Dr. Wily (Extra Pie Mix)"

orkybash

Mega Man: The Wily Wars 'Break the Beat in Half, Dr. Wily (Extra Pie Mix)'

Well, this mix has an interesting title, but I guess that's to go along with the interesting sound. This definitely takes some getting used to - the first time through it sounded a bit too messy to my ears. It's grown on my, though, just as it will on you once you realize how creative Shael Riley can get even when his groin isn't involved. There's so much going on in this mix that I can't even begin to describe it, so I'll just say get it. Even if you don't end up liking it, it will be the most interesting (as in "different") mix you'll hear on this site in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

First off: this one isn't to my taste. Really well done, but it stutters off and on too much at times for me. The stuff in between the stutters is gold though. The track is almost worthy of two versions- stutter and non-stutter. :¬)

About halfway through the first listen I realized what the stutters reminded me of- a cheat in the original MegaMan game(and, coincidentally, the only way I beat that gold-golemish boss). the cheat played off the "game freeze" pause that the select button activated. Elecman's weapon would hit the enemy it was over once each time the game was unpaused like this. It froze the music in much the same way as in this track...

Second(third?) thing that impressed me- if I'm not much mistaken, the voice bits(most of them anyway) were sampled from the megaman cartoon show(and man, that's a trip too). Twas nice. :¬)

I guess I do actually like it... I just don't think I could listen to it repeatedly. Worth at least one listen... just stick it out through the stops.

*honk*

• 9 months later...

To be completely honest, I'm surprised to see something this "normal" after hearing the Groin Incident. I use the word normal very, very loosely.

As for the song itself, I definitely agree with djpretzel's use of the word schitzophrenic. It does have more awkward twists, turns, and cd-skip-like halts (more like crashes) than anything else I've ever heard anywhere.

The use of voice samples was... shall we say... unique. I never imagined that the MegaMan cartoon would find its way onto OCR. And the way that the voices are mixed can only be described as dizzying. But one thing is for sure, they set the mood perfectly. I knew what I was in for the second I heard "Now I've got your power!"

This is a very entertaining mix. That's really all there is to say about it. I look forward to hearing more from Mr. Riley on my quest through the site.

And I doubt that there's anything of Shael's that won't get this award...

:?=Stamp of General Weirdity= :?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

At first, the clips from the cartoon sort of bothered me. Then came all the Protoman clips--especially "Give me that! You robotwit...". Suddenly, it was all worth it. Makes me want to break out my tapes. :lol: The actual music pops in and out quite a bit, so if you don't like interruptions, you may not like this. I personally like the song that was remixed, though, so even with all the jumping around, I still like this.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy this mix alot. I do not find it to be schitzophrenic... or suffering from any other mental ilness. My favorite element of this song is the sudden cut-aways to silence... or near silence. This has the effect of turning everything happening in the moment into a single instrument.... like a perverted orchestra hit. It makes what ever rhythym patterns that take place in these spots have 10 times the impact that they would normally have. Definitely one of my favorites on the site.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you would call this remix different, that wouldn't be enough. This is one of a kind. This is one of the weirdest thing mankind might ever heard of. This is an endangered specie that's the only in its kind that killed itself by driving themselves crazy by using many diffent kinds of voice and game samples together with gaps all over the place.

But I did strangely like most of it. Got a little confused by the opening line, but the introducing synh was actually darn good. The occasional monkey sounds and random places of vacuum actually help this remix to create a weird and freaky atmosphere. The latter continued with it's baffling and unexplainable rhytm with an another interesting synth. So as the music in question I think it was good. Unfortunately all those Megaman voices in the middle of the arrangement destroyed my will of downloading it, the line ”Protoman to the rescue” got reallt disturbing after some listens. Shael has created a monster, but it was one funky remix.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Man, a lot of haters on this one. :-(

I'm inclined to disagree, this is some pretty cool stuff, and though in the vocal breakdown there are a few seemingly dropped beats, the rest is solid and very creative. Maybe ahead of it's time? It's super catchy and the breaks make it really interesting. They pretty much demand your attention, so as a way to encourage (ok require) active listening, it's really ingenious.

I could live without the vocals, but it makes the mix pretty funny, so no worries.

This mix is all about taking one idea so far (silent stops) that it actually becomes the focal point of the song itself. Imagine the song without the breaks, and it's a lofi synth version of the theme, but with them, it's way more than that. It's very experimental, but unlike some other "out there" tracks, this one works.

Are you a bad enough dude to appreciate this inspired mix?

• 1 year later...

The production feels free to color the vibe how it wants, when it wants, creating one show-stopping number after another. Sometimes it tweaks the arrangement by pitch bending notes on the leads (0:42, 0:54) or by adding rubbery countermelodies ( 0:14, 0:22, 1:08 ). Panning consciously distinctifies each player during the mainstream sections and polarizes the timely percussion hits. In-game sound effects work best when they segue into new sections (it occurred to me that the Mega Man 2 boss intro bears a passing resemblance to the start of the source tune. Maybe that's why the mix starts out that way and then detracts going "Wait, wrong source!"). While a few sound effects have a dose of reverb or are briefly chopped up, most of the cartoon voice clips are manipulated more liberally (splicing "Oh my" and "Boy, that's gratitude for you" is welcoming at 2:53). And the trigger-happy gating effectively bottles, builds, and bursts with energy as it silences one or more channels at a time.

Some of my favorite moments:

1:24 - The explosion sound epitomizes the aforementioned release of tension like a cork popping off a champagne bottle.

2:01 - A spotlight on the drumwork is an easeful break like the wind+guitar section later.

2:10 - Viciously sped up "Proto Man" = LOL

2:44-2:48 - The vocal pitches in the unchopped " 'You're welcome!' 'Boy, that's gratitude for you' " echo the mood of the notes played, amusingly.

Overall, it's malleable while it maintains a cohesive flow. "Works for me." :P

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00616 - Mega Man: The Wily Wars "Break the Beat in Half, Dr. Wily (Extra Pie Mix)"