OCR00608 - Super Thunder Blade "Overdrive"

orkybash

Super Thunder Blade 'Overdrive'

Pretty solid techno from Beatdrop, though I felt like this went on about twice as long as it needed to get it's point across. Also, I could have done without some of the phasing (although for the most part it was used tastefully). Overall, this might kick ass if it wasn't so repetitive, but as it is this just plain drags.

• 10 months later...

Can't say I thought this was too repetitive, since I didn't really want this one to end, and I thought that switching the order of the opening music and the chorus part from the original Level 1 theme was a great idea that carried over well in this mix. I heard this mix first and listened to the original GYM later, and I felt that Beatdrop swtiching those areas up made for a better song. Definitely techno with a lot of depth, with Beatdrop switching it up with a good amount of variation. This one's surprisingly danceable too.

• 4 weeks later...

Well! For starters, I'd like to say that this is one of my favourite mixes on this site. Even if it's Techno, and I hate techno. I owned this game in actuality, therefore, I remember the songs clearly, and this does a great thing with them.

The transitions work wonderfuly well, and everything links correct. And, oh, excuse me, but that thing is NOT a fugue. It's not even in counterpoint, much less is it anything like a fugue at all. Hell, it doesn't even look like one unless you don't know what a fugue is-sounds like.

Besides this, I believe that this remix covers more than one theme, but it works really really well in going places, enough not to bore me superquick (which most techno does). Good work, thumbs up!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I listened to this again years after downloading. It still has that simplistic and fun charm to it. I don't know if many folks here would see this as lacking by today's standards (I don't even know what that means), but this is a very catchy piece. I dig the turn in the song around 2:50'. For some reason, this song makes for superb background material when you're typing something or using another application. Heck, I'm not even familar with the source. Fun song.

• 5 months later...

A good deal of variation throughout this one, but I don't really like the source. To be fair, Beatdrop made a pretty mundane track into something that really moves, but those skillz can only go so far when the melody is dull.

There are some great effects created with the synths, and the triplet breakdown gets my attention everytime.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thunder Blade was great in the arcades. Damn it was amazing. Can't remember any music, though. :)

This piece doesn't quite gel.. I like the sounds a lot, but they seem to work against each other at some points. I like the material, it has a lot of energy. Powerful bass lines, and that first soaring melody. Great stuff! But the piece feels a bit long, there's a lot of ideas but they're not used to their full potential. I feel the notes clash a bit here and there, with bass especially in some parts, which makes the piece sound like "close.. but not quite.."

I like it, but I get the feeling it could have been great. Keeping it in any case.

--Eino

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00608 - Super Thunder Blade "Overdrive"
  • 1 year later...