OCR01587 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Dignity Ark'

Liontamer

As far as I know, our first legit submission from an established Japanese doujin VGM arranger since U-ji - LT

Nice to meet you.

I manage the Music Lion'Otozisi' Web site in Japan 'Ryo Lion'.

name⇒Ryo Lion

E-mail⇒  spfw64k9@biscuit.ocn.ne.jp

Web site⇒ http://musiclion.web.fc2.com/

English is translated.

Can you read?(^^)

I want to submit this music to 'OC'.

An original tune is 'Chrono', and those who compose are Mr. Mitsuda.

The sounds of the guitar are all midi.

Composition machine⇒EASTWEST COLOSSUS&Cubase SX 3

I hope^^

--------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Chrono Trigger" (ct-1-02a.spc & ct-1-02b.spc)

Though your instrumentation is distinctly sequenced, there's a lot of personality and flavor behind the sequencing and delivery. Excellent percussion and bassline writing, and I loved the subtly panned acoustic guitars in the left channel from :37-:56. The textures here are all pretty slick; lots of synergy in terms of the sounds working together.

The lil' vox embellishments first used at 1:15 sounded REALLY cheap; way too dry-sounding and terribly exposed first from 1:18-1:19. Aside from that, I liked how the percussion writing and other sounds continued to evolve, the sexy panned guitar returning at 1:34.

Got a little worried at 1:48 with the arrangement possibly falling back on a conservative Zeal adaption, but at 1:57 Ryo instead referenced back to the original writing from the intro and then greatly expanded on it for a nice guitar solo section until 2:37. Retread :52's section at 2:37, but finished it off a little differently at 2:57.

Switched over to a more exposed string-focused section at 3:00, which was a weak point, but the percussion joining back in at 3:21 offset that a bit. 3:36 reached the conclusion based off the source tune. That last note from the lead at 3:57 decayed too quickly and made the ending ultimately feel underwhelming. It should have resonated much longer for a stronger close. In any case, some damn fine sequencing, and an interpretive but easily recognizable take on "Chrono Trigger". Very stylish.

I wish more Japanese amateur game music arrangers knew about OC ReMix and would be willing to submit their music here. There are so many great doujin arrangers that the community-at-large has never heard of. Must be a language barrier issue, I don't know. But hopefully through Ryo Lion, we can get the word out to more talented artists from across the ocean.

YES

• 1 month later...

The sounds of the guitar are all midi.

Heh. No shit.

In spite of that, the guitars don't actually sound bad. They don't sound real, but they don't sound bad. The sequencing here is fantastic. The arrangement, while not a great leap in style from the original, certainly has a degree of complexity and depth that the original lacked. Reharmonizations work really well.

YES

Very interesting production choices here. The closest thing we have to this style on OCR is Vurez' material, but even that isn't too similar. I really like the ethnic percussion in particular. There were only a few weak points in this area. One was the strings/choir/violin at about 3:00 - they didn't sound so good exposed. Likewise, when the acoustic guitar and bass were more or less alone at 1:52, their sampled nature shined through a little too much for comfort. I also feel like a lot of the instruments could have used more reverb/delay to make the mix more spacious. However, it's not a big deal.

In terms of arrangement, the combination of material from the main Chrono Trigger theme and the little Zeal quotes here and there really added up and made this enjoyable to listen to all the way through. I loved the variation of the chord progression and the addition of original material. Nothing felt forced or pasted on haphazardly; the mix really flowed naturally. Great job.

Awesome to see an actual sub from a doujin remixer. I hope we get more!

YES

YES

Confession #1: I YES'd this mix without hearing it.

Confession #2: I only did so because I was have Japanese doujin bias.

Confession #3: The previous confessions are all a farce.

Confession #4: I liked the MIDI guitar. I thought it was well used and had no inhibiting effect on the rest of the mix. I love the sitar. I also dig the rhythm and percussion.

Highly interpretive and moving take on the CT theme. Great stuff! I echo Larry's hopes that our friends from afar off in the east will somehow find a way to get more involved in the OCR scene here.

Keep 'em coming!