OCR01553 - Tetris Attack "Final Panic"

djpretzel

The song is a mixture of percussion inspired from Tan Dun and orchestration from Klaus Badelt.

Man, is that true! I can hear both, plain as day - and what a pleasant blend of seemingly amalgomous ingredients. Even though I am unfamiliar with the source piece, the end result is knock-you-on-your-back dramatic and blessedly lacking of the abused atonal high strings in most pieces of similar genre and mood. The melody is there, and the harmony is supportive. This piece has all the good stuff - a quality submission.

Wow. I didn't know what to expect when listening to this, but when it got started I was amazed. Probably the first clever over-dramatic symphonic super film style arrangement I've heard of a video game tune. In fact, this piece is very well done. There's a lot of originality in this.

I'm not too keen on the ending, though. It's too abrupt, but that's probably just my desire to hear more speaking.

Ahh, this bring back old memories. But this time, the music has grown up. You've turned it into something truly serious and suspenseful and you never let up as you continue to build your idea up to 3:15 where things really pick up. This sounds like something straight out of a good RPG dungeon where you explore and finally get to the boss battle.

Great work and don't stop mixing!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work. It really does have a movie-score-ish atmosphere to it, and I can definitely see why you would associate the music of the far east with it.

However, the first point I mentioned is also the song's weak point. Movie scores (usually) tend to stay in the background, improving the atmosphere. For a stand alone song, however, this doesn't really work.

What I want to say is that I really miss some kind of climax in this one. Which is really sad, considering that the drums had a lot of potential for some mad crescendo...

• 3 weeks later...

This was fantastic!

I'm a huge Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon fan (barely edged out the beloved darling in a best-of-9 brudge match yesterday) and when I saw that this was a remix of the final boss stage, I couldn't imagine how anyone could get anything out of the original music, which is very mediocre compared to the rest of the tunes in this game. But wow -- this really does have that ancient-China vibe going. Love it.

Now how about remixing the Phoenix (Magikoopa? First boss) and Selene (can't remember the TA name; lunar background) music? Those are great!

• 1 year later...

The production on this is really nice, with several levels of texture , and plenty of space for them all to peek through. The sound is nicely balanced, and the space is well defined through panning. Some of the woodwinds and piano seemed to be a bit mechanical in regards to the velocity and could have been smoothed out, most noticeably the flute during it's 8th note run at 1:54, but that things sounded nicely organic. The layered percussion was excellent.

Interpretation was very strong and personalized, with some really good additions to the source. Theme and variations can oftentimes get drawn out, but everything here is kept exciting throughout the instruments, and the varied intensity is a big reason.

Ending was great, it was a very satisfying and exciting finish.

Recommended. :-)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Woah, very out-of-left-field approach to this one. Always a good thing.

I liked the Eastern instrumentation a lot more than the grander, symphonic stuff just because the Eastern stuff sounded a little more authentic, or at least more distinct from similar, better samples out there today. Horns and strings didn't really sell me on the mix, whereas the woodwinds and percussion really did.

So it's definitely not a consistently impressive mix, and yet its perfectly competent and easy to listen to. I appreciate what's been done with tempo and arrangement, but this is ultimately a debut mix that fails to break through the ceiling of 'not-badness'.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01553 - Tetris Attack "Final Panic"
  • 2 months later...