OCR01606 - *YES* Castlevania 'Vampire Spanker'

Liontamer

Remixer names: Danneman & Silverknekt

Name of the original tune is Vampire Killer, from Castlevania of course. We're calling our remix Vampire Spanker 'cause (insert some deep and meaningful reasons), but really for lack of imagination and low humour. It's purely an acoustical version (except for the bass though wich is an electric bass) of the classic tune with some extra stuff thrown in. Silverknekt on the nylon guitar and bass, and Danneman on the steel guitar. We like it and hope you do aswell. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/castleva.zip - Track 2 ("Vampire Killer")

Checked up on this sub after that pro arrange album slipped by us. Was on the WIP board and this track and the other ones on Danneman's ACIDplanet page checked out. Nonetheless, we could look into any primarily acoustic guitar takes on this source on pro arrange albums. The track cuts off pretty badly at 3:29, so we'll need a fix on that.

Short and sweet. The duel guitars are performed well and mixed well. For my personal view towards judging, live performance arrangements always get more "leniency" on interpretation in lieu of personalization and the need to actually learn the parts in order to perform them. A live performance arrangement has more room to border on the cover side, but the style needs to be different, there have to be meaningful modifications in the structure, and original part writing and melodic phrases help any submission seal the deal. This has all of that in spades. Nice work, bros; I hope we hear more from you.

YES

• 1 month later...

Not a straight cover, but a stylistic cover. All the way through, I found myself expecting that the track would suddenly kick up the energy, but it never did. Oh well. The arrangement is straightforward, and this is only passable thanks to performance 'liberties' as it were. The performance is very good though, and the track is very enjoyable.

YES

Yeah, my first impulse was "hmm, crud. Gonna be a cover..."

Not so!

This is really awesome to listen to! Very enjoyable! I'm an acoustic guitar man, and you've put this one together very nicely. I love the crystal clean production. The ending definitely needs to be fixed. This track is way too enjoyable to be scarred by that unfortunate blemish.

Conditionally so...

YES

The intro threw me off a bit - the playing seemed a little on the sloppy side and not as tight as it could be. Some of the chords/harmonies throughout the mix didn't sit well with me, like :41 and 2:06. I do feel like the arrangement was generally too close as well, but the material from 2:33 pretty much saved it. Without that stuff I don't think the preceding level of arrangement would be passable. However, looking at the big picture, there's a solid performance, good recording, and some very creative arrangement ideas in the later part of the mix. Plus, it's in a rather unique style. I do agree that the ending is lame.

A fairly lukewarm

YES

from me.