WIP - Assault on Kefka's Tower Revised

Hal_Emmerich

Alright! This is more like it. A hell of a lot less MIDIish. Right off the bat, I'd take the percussion back and bring out the melody a little more. It's too quiet through the whole song. Ew...ok that harp or whatever at 2:28 is just gross. Waaay too sharp. Other than that it sounds really good though. HUGE improvement. Keep it up!

Thanks, glad its an improvement heh. As for the percussion, I'm a bit torn on that. Some people say the timpani was overused and unrealistic (since you couldn't have a timpani play that many notes in a song realistically). I kind of liked it, but I can see it being too much timpani.

www.stfx.ca/people/x2004/x2004cja/ktower-V2T1.mp3

This is a song with the timpani. It also has a crappy brass I removed in the second take, but it gives you an idea of what the timpani was like.

Hmmm...It is a bit much timpani. I don't think it sounds unrealistic, just too much. I mean, hey, it's possible to play if you have that many timpanis and can play them all >.>. Same prob in this one too, btw. Not enough melody. That brass actually doesn't sound that bad imo. Just out of tune. If you could fine tune each note (annoying, I know...) it wouldn't sound bad. I think the main thing you need to take back in the percussion (in the version in the first post) is the snare. But only a tiny bit. And def bring out the melody a lot more.

I've only submitted once and it got rejected (understandably, considering it was my first attempt at FL ever and I didn't even know that effects existed >.>) so I'm pretty new here in the community. I don't know much about the standards and what would make it and whatnot...but I definitely like where it's going. I think w/ a little more work it could stand a chance imo (with what little knowledge I have of how everything works lol)

I'm glad someone finally remixed this.

1) I like how it gets creative towards the end and you mix in a bit of the traditional Kefka theme.

2) Cymbals are way too loud, but like the other percussion.

3) Maybe throw in a little more bass? I liked how the original version sounded robotic.

4) Maybe a little more creativity early on, like a pause between the first four beats and the last four in the refrain around :41 and elsewhere

ok lol. I found it myself here - http://people.stfx.ca/x2004/x2004cja/Assault_On_Kefkas_Tower_Final.mp3

Anyway, it's great. However, from 1:09 - 1:15 I don't hear any background. It sounds like it's only melody. And the cymbal at the end begins to rise again and then gets cut off by the song ending. But other than that, I love it dude.

its very very well made, it sounds like a professional video game soundtrack from final fantasy tactics(something like that). in some parts i would say it got a little too chaotic that i think the judges might count it as a serious problem and might reject it for. my suggestion, while you want to have a few instruments flowing with each other, you dont want to have too many instruments at the same time(especially those that dont fit well with it which a few of i noticed) so work on that and you could easily get it passed. great job! -The Lone Ranger

Thanks. And yeah, I do know what you mean about a few chaotic parts, where the melody kind of fades away and everything plays at once. I was trying to make those more of a harmony.

I'm hoping it passes, but its my first remix, and I didn't really expect it to. I more wanted the experience in it, and also the advice from the judges. And who knows, it may pass :)

I like this latest version; it's a decent remix of an amazing song, but still needs some bass and maybe some drums or other strong percussion.

Also, not sure how much it matters but I've noticed most of the songs here have more creative titles, to the point that someone who's only passively familiar with the game or has only heard the .spc set might not be able tell where the song is from. I'd personally name a remix like this "Seeking the Goddess Statues" or "Minerva's Armor."