Final Fantasy 6 'Rachel'

tekcoh_top

Recorded with a km184 and a shure sm58 (to closemic and get a nice bassy sound). Overdubbed, added a bit of eq (increase lower frequencies by about 6db), and reverbed.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/83254/reverbed%20and%20done%20i%20think.mp3

right now, i'm not exactly happy with the sound i'm getting from my guitar; the sounds are too thin in my opinion. If anyone can help solve this through eq, that'd be nice.

tell me what you guys think

hmmm i def think this is a song that def fits your style.

The sound quality def sounds off. IMO i think it's a lil bass heavy, I have to stuggle to hear the high notes. On headphones they through a lil better but on speakers the high notes seem to be more muddled.

I think the high end needs some added clarity. With this source tune a boost 10khz and above would give this a nice airy feel. If you have any type of generic overdrive or dynamic tube type of plugin I'd try using that on the higher notes. That would give them some clarity while keeping the feel of the low notes intact.

Hopefully an actual guitarist chimes in to give you some more specific advice. Besides that jazz this is a damn good song as usual, the melody is beautiful I hope you can find a way to make it stand out more.

thanks a bunch for the suggestion. I'll definitely lay off on the eq for boosting the bass. however, what did you mean specifically for "besides the jazz"?

lol or maybe you just meant jazz as in what you said earlier. haha sorry, my gig partner is a jazz guitarist, so i've been influenced by jazz. thought you were pointing out some jazz-influenced thing that in the song.

This is reminiscent of Romantic-era music performed on an acoustic guitar. I'm not sure if anyone else has heard it before (as it's becoming increasingly rare), but they record the guitar to sound just like it is in this song. The light high notes and more dominant bass notes are a stylistic choice on their part, and one that -in my opinion- is best able to capture the genre. I'd have trouble believing that you've never heard an example of that before, listening to this. It's perfect. Make more songs like this.

I will sorta agree with Altus here. While I did not consciously make the decision to make it sound like it came from that time period, it definitely is a sound I prefer to the rather flat sound I was getting before. Still, though, I think I will follow Avaris's suggestion to some extent, since there are some spots that are dangerously near clipping, and the harmonics are sometimes hard to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should. Or at least update so we can see the difference before and after the changes.

You should submit soon though, lest my pent-up adoration for this track manifests into a mindless schizophrenic killing spree of unaware pedestrians whose only crime against me is perpetuating the ability of recording artists to make crappy music by buying said crappy music rather than listening to something of this caliber.

Submit this track - save a life.

very peaceful and calm, it is high quality but there isnt much to rearrange, not much there. also its kind of plain(some people might not mind that nor is there really anything wrong with it), though i still think its a good mix, it definitely needs some work. but i think i can understand what you're trying to do with this mix. great job!

there isnt much to rearrange, not much there. also its kind of plain(some people might not mind that nor is there really anything wrong with it)

There isn't much to rearrange? What? The original has enough material for a wide variety of rearrangements. And "plain"? You've obviously never heard classical guitar. It only wishes it could sound like this. Calling it plain is like looking at a Picasso and saying that it's anatomically incorrect. You can't always apply the same rules to different styles.

though i still think its a good mix, it definitely needs some work.

What does it need specifically? I must know. Anything more would kill the dreamlike emotive quality he's painted and detract from the song as a whole.

This one of my favorite game songs of all time, so forgive me if I'm real hard on it.

I really dig the arrangement and concept, you play classical guitar beautifully! This mix reminds me of another I've heard with dual acoustic guitars in this same style. I can't remember which song, but I'll venture a guess you're the same remixer. If you are, I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed to not hear something..."new"...outta the mix. I really thought the emotional momentum of the piece could use a real good build, like more tracks added slowly, or some subtle underscoring, etc. Perhaps the static laid back thing is your style tho...I know some people like it.

The only other things that bugged me was the micing of the guitars. It sounds a little too honest to me. I think you should consider the room you're in and try some omni's to capture room ambience, the synthetic reverb helps but I can still hear a lot of fingers and frets sticking and moving more than I like (kinda like the guitar piece in Will Ferrel's "Stranger Than Fiction", that crap seriously raked at my ears).

I think a good mix of close micing and distant micing would soften up the piece a bit and give it more of a "fantasy?" kind of feel. Just my thoughts. ^^ Great work!

thanks for the honesty jamesgeorge. I should really reevaluate my obsession with sticking with 2 guitars no matter what. It's just that I've played gigs in a duet for over two years now, and so I see any more than 2 guitars both as a distraction (too cluttered) and as a cheap way of filling in any blank spots. I would prefer both guitars being quite distinct from one another.

But i will probably rerecord with your suggestions; i'll probably find a room in my church with decent acoustics so that I don't have to mess with artificial reverb and eq.

i have a sm57, km184, and some random ~100$ condenser mic (dr-cx1). I can only use two at once. Which ones do you think I should use, and where should I place them?

Fret noise doesn't really bother me much...but that's just a matter of taste. Some people don't mind, some people hate it. To me that sort of noise just gives more feeling to the song.

Can't really bash the two guitar thing either, but to me adding more parts to it without changeing what is already there a bit would probably just make the peice feel overworked and cluttered.

As far as the "thin" sound to it, try retuneing your instruments. I'm not really sure if it can apply to strings like wind instruments, but while I was in band the directors always said and also demonstraited several times that ones sound would "open up" when tuned correctly.

Otherwise the song is very nice, bit on the muddy side, but you say you're rerecording it so the muddyness is pretty moot.

As far as the "thin" sound to it, try retuneing your instruments. I'm not really sure if it can apply to strings like wind instruments, but while I was in band the directors always said and also demonstraited several times that ones sound would "open up" when tuned correctly.

Not a bad idea, just be careful because from some of the freq. response charts of those mics aren't razor flat, so certain freqs. are already being boosted and with retuning you might boost sounds in the guitars you don't want to. Bring headphones/monitors to your recording session and play around until you get the exact sound you want since you'll only get one shot at it.

Well hard to really recommend anything that I know would work for sure, you probably know your room and equipment better than I would. I would just monitor your sound live before you hit the record button. I hope your church hall has adequate diffusion or absorbtion; you don't want a square room with dead spots or a gymnasium sound.

You mentioned wanting to make the guitars sound different, so you might consider different mic combinations, placements for each. Since you don't have omnis, perhaps a near coincident pair of two mics at a prefered distance for verb would work? The stereo image could sound odd with two differet mics, but sometimes it works. If you mix it to mono just be careful of phase cancellations.

There's other stuff to try I'm sure, but I think you'll have most success with trial and error. Good luck! can't wait to hear.