Improvisations on 600 AD - Chrono Triggar

DrumUltimA

honestly, it doesnt even sound like the original. it has only one instrument, nothing to compliment it. it probably wouldnt get passed by the judges just because its lacks so many things. its ok i guess, but its nothing special, might want to give a more unique perspective, use more instruments that flow along with it. great job though!

honestly, it doesnt even sound like the original. it has only one instrument, nothing to compliment it. it probably wouldnt get passed by the judges just because its lacks so many things. its ok i guess, but its nothing special, might want to give a more unique perspective, use more instruments that flow along with it. great job though!

I disagree with that. When solo pieces are done well they really don't need any accompaniment. Being a percussionist myself, I might understand it more. It's clearly 600 AD.

It's very nice sounding (especially for being improvised) and I definitley think that if you polished things up, possibly shortened it a little, and got a hold of better recording equipment, it'd have a chance against the judges. If they accept solo piano, why not solo marimba?

Good job man. Makes me wish my 4 mallet playing didn't suck. :-|

• 1 month later...

I could not disagree more with the lone ranger. I think you could put in mix #2 right now and have a winner. This is unlike anything else on the site, its completely unique, and it sounds great. Its completely overworked by your improv, but its still very easy to see what it is. which is exactly what you want. LOVE IT.

Since I really want to see this posted, I'll point out my qualms:

0:00 - I thought that first bit was some kind of Windows error sound at first, but looking at it, it adds to the live feel. Not really necessary though.

1:27 - Probably nitpicking, but that last note on the arpeggio to top it off seems delayed by a split second. May be just me.

2:34 to 3:10 - The lower notes are noticibly scratchy. Easy fix, right?

4:03 to 4:05 - Scratchiness again

5:00 to 6:00 - You seem to go on a major tangent with some tempo variation to the main theme, but it comes off as disharmonic in some parts rather than artistic.

Otherwise I loved it. Strays enough from the original to be new, but doesn't go too far. Good work.

This was a really nice, feel-good piece. I think you humanized it just enough IMO without making it unstructured. I agree about the scratching effects, Im sure you can quite easily fix those though. Also it seems like at some points, the reverb is a little short to me, which by itself wouldnt be an issue, but it seems out of place with the overall quality of the song. I think this is actually OC worthy as-is, but some better recording apparati would turn this from a good OC remix to a great one.

This is amazing. And it's amazing that it's improvised. You have talent, that's for damn certain.

I agree with those who think this is OCR worthy. Polish it up and submit it. I look forward to seeing it pop up on the home page!

Edit:

In response to your question, I would have to say that I prefer the low note drumming of the second take.

whoa, 15 replies! For sure you know how to drag people's attention!. Now about the mix: ok, marimbas nicely played, some mistakes in some places... but i think this looks like the original way too much. You should try to invent something here, there's a lot of room for experimentation here, so, hey, why don't you give a try to adding more stuff? :-)