FLMC - Fruity Loops Music Competition 6: Power Plant

DDRKirby(ISQ)

oy. first off, you guys suck =p

@ DJ Nightmare: I don't have a real problem with you posting a song, but I don't really see the relation to this thread. I would recommend just putting it in the WIP forum, since no one is interested in this thread anyways, eh?

Did I really screw up FLMC that bad or did you guys just stop being motivated?

I think the main problem is this forum. NOBODY checks it.

Even I utterly forgot about this until tonight.

Though, even before this, it was getting really slow. I dunno guys, maybe it's time we give FLMC a break.

yes, FLMC was never really that big--i rememeber Prophecy and GLL and BGC were into it but they've all kinda disappeared. The last one kinda hung in there somehow, but I guess the migration out of GenDisc might have been the last straw. bleh.

kudos to Xela, though, your song was pretty sweet, what with the drum processing and whatnot.

I've been pretty busy lately too, but I managed to put together a WiP.

http://elpollodiablo125.googlepages.com/flmc6_wip.flp

Comments/criticism/more mastering tips?

sweet. I had actually pretty much given up on FLMC6 ever happening =X

Of course I'm no mastering expert myself--most of the mastering on my -own- tracks consists of a light parametric EQ which half of the time ends up making things sound worse, and a soft clipper with default settings.

'nuff said.

-first thing's first: for your 303 synth, I was really confused at first at why you had it going to a send FX channel with a compressor that wasn't doing anything. then I remembered that Fruity Compressor introduces a tiny bit of latency, so i'm now assuming you did that to create a nifty phasing effect, which is snnneakkkyyy ;)

-the higher resonance on the 303 sometimes gets a little too buzzy for my taste.

-intro was pretty sick--you pretty much had me sold with that, i was really digging it.

-i dont really appreciate your kick though. You used a layered kick, which can work out well sometimes, but in this case i think it didn't. Layering kicks you have to be really careful because you can get into phase cancellation problems--specifically, the hip_kick_8 and the dnc_kick...just listen to the dnc_kick solo'd, then add in the hip_kick_8 and see how whimpy it gets...of course you also distorted those kicks to hell, so i dunno what that might have done =p

-your layered bass was more okay though, that works, although the bass arrangement is pretty busy, but it's okay i think.

-once things get going everything clashes a bit. listen to the kick at the beginning and compare the power it has there to when everything else is playing. notice the difference? the main culprit here is the "generic synth" which is driving the FL mixer meter crazy, although the 303 gets a little heavy at times too and the snare is a bit too overpowering IMHO.

-Nice hi-hat pattern, good to see something other than nnst nnst nnst all the time. although, it got squeezed out of the mix by the huge wall of synth sound...

-arrangement-wise I know it's still just a WIP but make sure you actually go somewhere with the song--neat melody maybe? Breakdown? Change it up, dont just cruise along at the same level the entire time.

-crash is rather GRRAAAAAAAAHHH--rather than punchy.

-I lol'ed at the thumbs down icon on the master channel.

-I didn't really look at the individual channel FX (like compressors, reverb, etc.). if you dont have a good idea of how to use compressors, well....i struggle with it sometimes myself, so you're not alone.

-overall, once I muted the generic synth and toned down the 303, it was pretty neat! ;)

feel free to disagree, of course.

alright people, here goes.

Official revised deadline is -=MAY 5th=-. got that? that's cinco de mayo. Gives you a little less than 2 weeks, cause frankly I want to just get this over and done with.

on may 5th i'll post an update regarding voting. I'll also post everyone's flp/zip and an mp3 version (probably using a combination of googlepages and yousendit). If you upload your own mp3 version then I'll use that--otherwise, i'll just render myself.

until then, work on, modify, etc. your songs, blahblahblah and post them in this thread.

yes, FLMC was never really that big--i rememeber Prophecy and GLL and BGC were into it but they've all kinda disappeared. The last one kinda hung in there somehow, but I guess the migration out of GenDisc might have been the last straw. bleh.

kudos to Xela, though, your song was pretty sweet, what with the drum processing and whatnot.

a bit of an overstatement, i think i participated in FLMC3, but other than that, i haven't really participated much :P

i probably would be inclined to participate more, but it's a time issue lately.

Updated my WiP a bit:

http://elpollodiablo125.googlepages.com/flmc6_wip_2.flp

-first thing's first: for your 303 synth, I was really confused at first at why you had it going to a send FX channel with a compressor that wasn't doing anything. then I remembered that Fruity Compressor introduces a tiny bit of latency, so i'm now assuming you did that to create a nifty phasing effect, which is snnneakkkyyy ;)

Yep.

-the higher resonance on the 303 sometimes gets a little too buzzy for my taste.

How would I fix that? Should I bring it down an octave, or just not make it so resonant?

(Note that I accidentally brought it up an octave, so I may end up bringing it back down anyway.)

-i dont really appreciate your kick though. You used a layered kick, which can work out well sometimes, but in this case i think it didn't. Layering kicks you have to be really careful because you can get into phase cancellation problems--specifically, the hip_kick_8 and the dnc_kick...just listen to the dnc_kick solo'd, then add in the hip_kick_8 and see how whimpy it gets...of course you also distorted those kicks to hell, so i dunno what that might have done =p

Fixed this, I think. I got rid of the two sampled kicks, went with the Fruity Kick, and brought up the gain on the compression a little bit.

-once things get going everything clashes a bit. listen to the kick at the beginning and compare the power it has there to when everything else is playing. notice the difference? the main culprit here is the "generic synth" which is driving the FL mixer meter crazy, although the 303 gets a little heavy at times too and the snare is a bit too overpowering IMHO.

I toned down the generic synth and 303 some. Also, I'm trying out panning the 303 with an LFO, rather than just having it in mono.

-arrangement-wise I know it's still just a WIP but make sure you actually go somewhere with the song--neat melody maybe? Breakdown? Change it up, dont just cruise along at the same level the entire time.

Right, I did a breakdown. I'm still pretty terrible at writing melodies, so I went the cheap way and used pads + arps. I'm also not sure about the highpass at the end of the breakdown, but I'll listen to it both ways and see which I like better.

Thanks for your help so far.

Updated my WiP a bit:

http://elpollodiablo125.googlepages.com/flmc6_wip_2.flp

Yep.

How would I fix that? Should I bring it down an octave, or just not make it so resonant?

(Note that I accidentally brought it up an octave, so I may end up bringing it back down anyway.)

Fixed this, I think. I got rid of the two sampled kicks, went with the Fruity Kick, and brought up the gain on the compression a little bit.

I toned down the generic synth and 303 some. Also, I'm trying out panning the 303 with an LFO, rather than just having it in mono.

Right, I did a breakdown. I'm still pretty terrible at writing melodies, so I went the cheap way and used pads + arps. I'm also not sure about the highpass at the end of the breakdown, but I'll listen to it both ways and see which I like better.

Thanks for your help so far.

One quick comment (might possibly make more later)--your gated pad, for the first section of the breakdown where it's not gated at all (just sustained) it's actually getting a "fuzzy" quality.

this is because the "pad gate" 3xOsc isn't actually producing a constant volume--instead it's wavering because the "pad gate" is using the default 3xOsc settings, which is 3 sine waves at different octaves. So if you want to fix that, have "pad gate" only use one oscillator. it doesn't really matter what waveform (i use square waves just because) as long as it's just one osc.

Of course, if you LIKE that fuzz effect, then go ahead and keep it as is. =p

Oh come on, those aren't the words of a good sport.

If you quit now, you'll never get better.

I don't think it's good,

but this contest is created to improve the mixing quality from the remixers/participants, so those comments will help to make the mixer better.

Personally I prefer these comments posted after the Song Deadline and after voting, like in ORC/PRC and other Contests.

Oh come on, those aren't the words of a good sport.

If you quit now, you'll never get better.

I see what you're saying and I completely agree.

It's just that this is meant to be a serious competition at the end of the day. We do have WIP and remixing help forums here on OCR. Surely the best place to post WIPS and ask advice is not here. At the moment this thread looks more like some sort of a project than a competition.

I see what you're saying and I completely agree.

It's just that this is meant to be a serious competition at the end of the day. We do have WIP and remixing help forums here on OCR. Surely the best place to post WIPS and ask advice is not here. At the moment this thread looks more like some sort of a project than a competition.

interesting point. i dunno what to think anymore...

but, there's 5 days left and it hardly matters anymore, at least for FLMC6. and at the rate things are going, i dunno about starting up FLMC7 right away. =I'm= not gonna do it.

I have a WIP too--I wasn't actually planning on making anything for this, but heck, i was messing around and decided to try something with FL defaults again.

Once again, I have failed to actually follow the theme of the contest. It doesn't sound like a power plant at all. D:

eh, it was more of an experiment by me, just to see how things would turn out.

I'm going to be out tomorrow night, but i think after I come back I'll update and hopefully be able to post/update everything.

So far I have entries from Bundeslang, UserFormerlyKnownAsXela, and El Pollo Diablo. I guess I can post my own WIP too but I don't think you'll be allowed to vote on it. lol, it's only a WIP anyways.

Voting Stage

This time around we have 3 entries:

Bundeslang - Power Alarm

UserFormerlyKnownAsXela - Welcome to the Power Plant: all your brain are belong to us

El Pollo Diablo - NoobMusic2

For my (and your) convenience I've packed all the projects (plus a bonus WIP I worked on) into a zip file that you can download at one of the following URLs:

http://ddrkirby.googlepages.com/FLMC6projects.zip

http://download.yousendit.com/D7B293E75F2524D5

The mp3 versions can be downloaded here:

http://download.yousendit.com/F104CB4F183E8095

Voting starts now and ends officially on May 26th.

Choose one entry for each of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. 1st place votes will receive 4 points, 2nd place 2 points, and 3rd place 1 point. You can vote for yourself.

PM all your votes to me, DDRKirby(ISQ).

Your message should look something like this:

=====

1st place - Vicks

-OMGWTF THIS mix pwnzor't l33t h4x w/teh UNST UNST UNST!

2nd place - Wedge

-RLY GOOD KTHX but not quite as awesome as 1st place because the bass was too loud and it didn't have the UNST UNST UNST!

3rd place - Biggs

-Ya good try should do better next time too much high-end.

=====

Please note that unless you direct me otherwise, I will post the entirety of your PM in this thread for feedback purposes.

...got it?