- Tim Follin's homepage: http://www.timfollin...ueyonder.co.uk/
- Tim Follin's near-complete discography: http://wiki.sotw.inf...lin_Discography
- Tim Follin @ OC ReMix: http://www.ocremix.org/composer/id/70/
- Tim Follin @ Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Tim_Follin
- Tim Follin @ MobyGames: http://www.mobygames...eloperId,56818/
- Tim Follin @ MusicBrainz: http://www.musicbrai...36792d6b40.html
- Tim Follin music hosting project: http://www.gamingfor...discussion.html
Browsing around the old GamingForce Audio forums last year, I learned that Tim Follin decided to stop composing music for video games, citing the inability to make a steady income from VGM compositions. Those of you familiar with Follin's work in video game music know the man is an exemplary artist.
Even before I specifically knew who he was, music of Follin's from Spider-Man & The X-Men for the SNES caught my attention, followed by other games like Silver Surfer, Solstice, Treasure Master, and Plok! Stepping up beyond the sound limitations of older game systems and working with real-sounding instrumentation, his work and his creativity continues to be impressive.
Song of the Week staffers and friends Kaleb Grace and 'Ili "CHz" Butterfield were talking about Follin's decision when Kaleb came up with the idea of doing a tribute remix project of Follin's work. Damn good idea, as there are a lot of people who are fans of his work. If you're a fan of Follin's music, join up and let's make a tribute.
We're gonna make this pretty simple. This is a community-wide project, very Hands Across America. Any talented artists that are interested are open to join up: OCR, VGMix, OUS, DoD/TheShizz, OLR, R:K:O, AMIGAremix, VGMusic, 2A03, hell even some doujins, everybody. No one is disallowed from participating due to any history you have with anyone else; all are welcome with me. If you have some internet drama that prevents you from participating, fuck you in advance!
The only standards involved here are to produce quality music. Provided a bunch of you don't somehow pick the same material, any track originally written/composed by Tim Follin, video game or non-video game, is fair game for you to choose within this project. Aside from mere ports he's done of others' tunes, pick anything. We'll be checking to make sure whatever you pick was written or at least arranged by Follin, so provide specifics here on what you're choosing as soon as you know. Stuff that happens to be written by Tim's younger brother Geoff Follin is fine as well.
The quality control will be fairly strict. If I don't know you, I'll ask to hear samples of your recent work or research you myself. If you're not completely capable of what you're doing and aren't a solid artist in the community yet, I will tell you point blank here that you likely don't qualify, and you likely shouldn't waste your time trying to participate. With that said, collaborations are heavily encouraged. Tracks featuring live instrumentation are also heavily encouraged, as Follin wished he knew how to play real instruments.
There will be no WIP deadlines; whoever's going to come through will come through. We are shooting for at least 80 minutes worth of music and a minimum of 12 tracks, preferably 20 or more arrangements.
We've got a near-full discography of Tim Follin's work here in order to help anyone who may need to look around to find material to arrange. Even if you're unfamiliar with his work, chances are you will find something of his that appeals to you. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to post your interest in the thread here and let people know what you'll be doing. Provided you guys come through, there are other plans for this project that will be put into motion.
On behalf of co-directors CHz & Kaleb Grace, speaking to anyone and everyone from around the world who contributes, thank you in advance for your participation.
Take a look at Tim Follin's near-complete discography: http://wiki.sotw.inf...lin_Discography
Play the music in Winamp with these plug-ins:
- Amiga/MOD & Spectrum/AY - http://www.deliplaye...dir.php?obj=dp2 (STANDALONE PLAYER)
- C64/SID, Gameboy/GBS, Genesis/VGZ, NES/NSF, SNES/SPC(RSN) - http://www.chipamp.org/ (Plug-in bundle)
- 1. Ryan8bit - Solstice, Title Theme - "Catacombs Beneath the Twilight" - http://dod.vgmix.com/past/janfeb06/
- 2. Xoc - Magic Johnson's Fast Break & Super Off-Road - complete, but private until release by Jason's request
- 3. Binster - Ghouls'n Ghosts (C64), subtune 10 - "Poltergeist Mix" - http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01478/
- 4. Romeo Knight - Bionic Commando (C64), subtune 5 - "64 Bacardis" - http://www.remix64.c...une_312000.html
- 5. Makke - Qix medley - "Baggy Pants Mix" - http://remix.kwed.or... Pants Mix).mp3
- 6. The Orichalcon - Pictionary, Track 3 ("Let's Draw a Picture") - "Person, Place or Groove?" - http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01548/
- 7. Ryan8bit - Target Renegade, medley - "The Fuzz Scuffle" - http://dod.vgmix.com/past/jul06/
- ***Bonus/Previously-created: Shnabubula - Solstice, NSF track 2 - "Pegasus Boots" - http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01405/