Tim Follin: Dirge for the Follin - Musician Recruitment

Liontamer

Community recruitment threads: VGMix / OneUp Studios / Remix.Kwed.Org & AMIGAremix / The Shizz / OverLooked ReMiX / VGMusic / 2A03

Browsing around the old GamingForce Audio forums last year, I learned that Tim Follin decided to stop composing music for video games, citing the inability to make a steady income from VGM compositions. Those of you familiar with Follin's work in video game music know the man is an exemplary artist.

Even before I specifically knew who he was, music of Follin's from Spider-Man & The X-Men for the SNES caught my attention, followed by other games like Silver Surfer, Solstice, Treasure Master, and Plok! Stepping up beyond the sound limitations of older game systems and working with real-sounding instrumentation, his work and his creativity continues to be impressive.

Song of the Week staffers and friends Kaleb Grace and 'Ili "CHz" Butterfield were talking about Follin's decision when Kaleb came up with the idea of doing a tribute remix project of Follin's work. Damn good idea, as there are a lot of people who are fans of his work. If you're a fan of Follin's music, join up and let's make a tribute.

We're gonna make this pretty simple. This is a community-wide project, very Hands Across America. Any talented artists that are interested are open to join up: OCR, VGMix, OUS, DoD/TheShizz, OLR, R:K:O, AMIGAremix, VGMusic, 2A03, hell even some doujins, everybody. No one is disallowed from participating due to any history you have with anyone else; all are welcome with me. If you have some internet drama that prevents you from participating, fuck you in advance!

The only standards involved here are to produce quality music. Provided a bunch of you don't somehow pick the same material, any track originally written/composed by Tim Follin, video game or non-video game, is fair game for you to choose within this project. Aside from mere ports he's done of others' tunes, pick anything. We'll be checking to make sure whatever you pick was written or at least arranged by Follin, so provide specifics here on what you're choosing as soon as you know. Stuff that happens to be written by Tim's younger brother Geoff Follin is fine as well.

The quality control will be fairly strict. If I don't know you, I'll ask to hear samples of your recent work or research you myself. If you're not completely capable of what you're doing and aren't a solid artist in the community yet, I will tell you point blank here that you likely don't qualify, and you likely shouldn't waste your time trying to participate. With that said, collaborations are heavily encouraged. Tracks featuring live instrumentation are also heavily encouraged, as Follin wished he knew how to play real instruments.

There will be no WIP deadlines; whoever's going to come through will come through. We are shooting for at least 80 minutes worth of music and a minimum of 12 tracks, preferably 20 or more arrangements.

We've got a near-full discography of Tim Follin's work here in order to help anyone who may need to look around to find material to arrange. Even if you're unfamiliar with his work, chances are you will find something of his that appeals to you. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to post your interest in the thread here and let people know what you'll be doing. Provided you guys come through, there are other plans for this project that will be put into motion.

On behalf of co-directors CHz & Kaleb Grace, speaking to anyone and everyone from around the world who contributes, thank you in advance for your participation.

--------------------------------------------

Take a look at Tim Follin's near-complete discography: http://wiki.sotw.info/index.php?title=User:Liontamer/Dirge_for_the_Follin/Follin_Discography

Play the music in Winamp with these plug-ins:

In-progress tracklist:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back when the OCR forums were moved over to vBulletin, the forums were pretty agressively pruned. This one missed the cut by 2 days, so I've remade it.

Had some personal issues that kept me from coordinating this for a little while. Got some emails wondering what happened to the project thread, but everything's cool. Aside from judging, lots of my work at OCR and the community dropped off for that time. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to working on this, as well as some other projects, now that I've gained some more personal time.

With that said, let's continue!

I'm still around and ready to contribute where needed, provided I don't get super busy with something. Follin deserves a finished, quality project.

That website design might take me some time, but I may have some added motivation to do it since I'm currently trying to look for a job with a graphic design spin on it, and my portfolio is pretty pathetic as is. However, if someone else wanted to jump on it (or work together with me), that would be very welcomed.

This sounds like a fun idea. I don't know if I qualify though. I have a song in the judging cue at the moment that you may have heard already (its called "Battle Of The Badge" if you haven't). I spoke to zircon and he said it was pretty good, what do you think LT? If not, thats cool; just showing my interest.

EDIT: If i'm in, Track 1 off Silver Surfer, for the love of god. That is the most awesome thing I've heard like ever. I'd frigging love to do that track. I'm gonna do it regardless of wether or not I'm in.

I'm still around and ready to contribute where needed, provided I don't get super busy with something. Follin deserves a finished, quality project.

That website design might take me some time, but I may have some added motivation to do it since I'm currently trying to look for a job with a graphic design spin on it, and my portfolio is pretty pathetic as is. However, if someone else wanted to jump on it (or work together with me), that would be very welcomed.

I'm fairly busy, but don't be afraid to come find me if you need any help, Kaleb.

If you & Chad are willing to take a raincheck while things continue moving on the music side, I'd love to speak with you together about the site design. I'll flag y'all down as things get closer.

I'm still on for Akrilic from Plok! I think.

But it's been a long time, I feel bad :[!

Not a problem with me, Scott, so don't feel bad. I definitely wanna hear what you'd come up with. Post WIPs in this thread at some point, even at just a sketch level so I can see what direction you're going in.

I'd like to sign up! For the "Gambit theme" from Spider Man & the X Men on Snes!

I definitely wanna hear a WIP of that, David, as it's one of my favorite themes. Hope you take it in a great new direction.

Maybe the question I should ask is what is your e-mail address? I sent it to your ormgas one, but I'm assuming that was the wrong choice...

That's "right" per se, Ken, though you're more likely to get me at Liontamer.VGF@gmail.com. I saw your Equinox mix at both boxes. Overall, the mix sounds great. I think the production would need to be refined a bit, as some of the frequencies seem a bit piercing. I'll try and run it by some Js for the opinions of some different ears, but as is, this is very close to being called a done deal. I really appreciate you coming through like this, bro; this'll be a nice addition to the project!

maybe.........

Always in sell mode, this is a really unique project in my opinion, Doug. It'd be a priviledge to have you on board if you're feeling anything from Follin's discog. Lemme know if you'd like any suggestions or anything of the sort.

This sounds like a fun idea. I don't know if I qualify though. I have a song in the judging cue at the moment that you may have heard already (its called "Battle Of The Badge" if you haven't). I spoke to zircon and he said it was pretty good, what do you think LT? If not, thats cool; just showing my interest.

EDIT: If i'm in, Track 1 off Silver Surfer, for the love of god. That is the most awesome thing I've heard like ever. I'd frigging love to do that track. I'm gonna do it regardless of wether or not I'm in.

You remind me of Israfel, Cain. Too modest. Of course you qualify, bro, and yes I've heard your Pokemon sub. For the record, I hate Pokemon. Silver Surfer, track 1 is a hugely popular choice. Definitely take it on, bro.

You remind me of Israfel, Cain. Too modest. Of course you qualify, bro, and yes I've heard your Pokemon sub. For the record, I hate Pokemon. Silver Surfer, track 1 is a hugely popular choice. Definitely take it on, bro.

Cool :D. I'll get straight to it.

EDIT: And I did: http://fishy.escariot.net/public/SilverSurfing.mp3

In 1 hour 34 minutes, I made this AND ate lunch. Got that riff in the bag already.

When this first was announced what, like a year ago, i wanted to sign up, but was told by LT that my stuff wasnt good enough. Given the VAST improvement in my ability (and an actual name to release under), I'm retrying out for this. I'l see what i can spit out for Scumball, ALL TRACKS!! :o

Will post a WiP link within 24 hours

Hey, me too!

ooo, you submitted a WiP for Scumball? Looks like we have a good ol' fasioned mix-off 'ere....

May the best man win!

*play pity card*

I just hope my kids get to hear the music dedicated to my dead wife which I wrote with my nose (because I have no limbs) before I die of AIDS, in this third world country...