OCR01607 - *YES* Great Giana Sisters 'Giana's Homecoming'

Liontamer

Remix Name: Giana's Homecoming

Original song: Giana Sister's (High Score)

Remixer Name: Polar-, 23 year old male, Norway

Hello good people! I was supposed to submit this tune some months ago, but it ended up taking up space on my harddrive until recently when I decided to add some touches to it. I feel it's now ready to be submitted, and I hope you like it :)

Giana Sisters was one of the first games I got for my c64, and I remember being fond of this melody when I was a kid.

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/C64Music/MUSICIANS/H/Huelsbeck_Chris/Great_Giana_Sisters_PSID.sid - SIDtune 2/8

Source tune is only about :48 seconds long, so there was loads of room for expansion. I thought the track felt texturally empty at times, but the overall creativity of the arrangement carried this one over the line.

Interesting opening (I say that a lot, but I love hearing something different, and many submitters tend to deliver). Good phatty bass and solid, understated percussion. Whatever instrument that was at :24 was flooding the soundfield a bit along with the pads. Nothing that was a dealbreaker, but the effects there could have been scaled back a bit.

Good addition of the delicate piano at :56. Some vocals quietly entered at 1:44 along with an electric guitar and crystalline...e-piano? By about 2:10 when the guitar took center stage with some liberally arranged material, I felt it could have been bumped up a bit, but you're going for something more consistently chill. Thankfully the percussion & pad groove changed at 2:16 and again at 2:32, as the previous pattern was wearing out its welcome fast and would have made the track feel dynamically flat.

Very serene vocals entering at 2:48. Started to get pretty far away from arranging the hi-score theme, in terms of interpreting the melodic content. I would have liked the source melody to still be referenced somewhere, perhaps with the acoustic guitars, to ground the final few minutes more with Giana Sisters, but the first half took care of the interpretation matters, while the second half meshed seamlessly with the first. Very smooth, bro.

YES

• 1 month later...

You have fine pitch and good ears. To be able to keep your voice and guitar so perfectly in-tune.

This is a beautiful track, Unfortunately my download constantly cuts off at 3:27 so I'll have to get the full file from Larry. But I've heard enough of it to know I'll pass it.

It started off shaky with the flooding that Larry mentioned. But from the point the guitar came in, the track was serene and professional. Kudos to you.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately my download constantly cuts off at 3:27 so I'll have to get the full file from Larry. But I've heard enough of it to know I'll pass it.

Bad call; at the 3:30 mark the music abruptly cuts out and is replaced by an old woman making a string of profane threats to the Jewish community.

The track is a tad...boring. It's nice, to be sure, but it starts slow, and stays that way. I think it would be twice as good if it were just a minute shorter.

The vocals are fantastic, but the drums are monotonous. I think the monotony would be more tolerable if they were a bit less busy. not that they are terribly busy now, but if they required less attention, I wouldnt mind that they are so repetitive.

I have no problem if this passes, but I really think the track could benefit from a bit of fat-trimming.

NO

That is a very big, deep kick sound! Very laid back and relaxed - this is not a sound we get often, which gives you extra points. The transition between notes on the vocal sounds a little strange, could be auto pitching, but then again I could be wrong. Not much else to say really. Very enjoyable.

YES