Metroid (Prime) Title

aeron

I've been working on this remix for a couple days, it's the title theme from Metroid. I wasn't sure whether or not to submit it, I didn't start putting it together thinking I would come here in the end, but I've been meaning to check this place out for a long time, so here goes nothing.

Download

I read through the guidelines and stuff, and after doing so I wasn't so sure how much constitutes a remix. I know, it said check around and hear other remixes, but I guess I'm just not that do-it-yourself kind of person because it didn't help me at all. I'm still shady about where the line is exactly.

So I guess part of this is I want to get an idea of your acceptance standards in relation to my physical ability. Well, in this case, my computer's physical ability. The way this song is going, if I add too much more I'm afraid my cpu might internally combust. (Okay, maybe not, but it lags like no other.)

Anyway, just throw some feedback at me, criticisms welcome.

Um, yeah.

I covered the mprime2 theme too so it's cool to hear a similar theme. I took a much ambient approach.

A few things the judges might get you on:

1. Reinterpretation of the main melody. Sounds like your playing back the main melody exactly the same.

2. Structure, the song kinda just ends. Where is the climax. Trust me trying to add structure to an intro song ain't easy.

3. Lack of a bass, this should def have a booming bass with some presence. Currently it's lacking in that department.

They'll easily reject the song for 1 and 2. Besides that I really like this, alot of the sounds very polished. Although there seems to be a lot of res on some of the leads. In some breakdowns it's ok to have them like that, but they are present throughout the song, and having so much res will degrade the listener's ears. Either tone down the res or the volume on them. Also make sure to go through and make sure all of your percussion has it's own sonic space, you have a lot of lil sounds goin on but they are not coming through as clear as the should in the main parts.

Def liking what you have so far.

well, the style's neat and it sounds great. But it's lacking originality and interpretation. You pretty much just took the notes and put a different background to it. Don't just change that, though. Throw something else in there. Change the melody up a bit if you want. Completey eliminate it for a bit and go off onto your own thing. The original still has to be apparent in the song in places, but not throughout the whole song.

Still just a newb here at OCR so I could be wrong about something I just said. If there is, I'm sure it'll be corrected soon enough. :)

Second what Red Shadow said about bouncing tracks. And if you have a lot of effects going on, try using sends creatively instead of inserts.

Anyway, to the actual song: drums are excellent, use of effects is great, tons of little ear-candy things in this, and I love the synth sound design--it really captures the sound palette used in the Metroid Prime OST. Great WIP overall! Gotta agree with Avaris like usual, this just needs more personal interpretation. Good call on the resonance of the high-pitched leads too.

In its current state I think this would very likely be criticized by the judges for not being interpretive enough, but you could fix that by adding new sections instead of necessarily having to rewrite what you've already got. Throw in some more breaks and transitions, maybe write a new section changing the main melodic line or adding new harmonies to it, whatever.

Great start, keep going with it. :D

To echo what everyone else has said, it sounds good, but its just the same old song. One thing that I thought would sound awesome in my head was during the held notes of the melody (of which there are many) i think you could put in distortion guitar riffs. this screams to me rock song, so maybe some guitars and improv are in order? great sound so far though.

Man, what a fun style. I'm impressed at how much variation you were able to pull out of the title theme. I'm afraid I'm not musically inclined, as far as arrangement and soforth, so you'll have to listen to everyone else for actual advice. But from a Metroid fan's ear, this sounds crisp.

I don't know anything about making music (I just listen to it) so if you don't take my comment seriously I understand. However I must say I really like the mix. I have been waiting for a Prime theme mix since I first heard the original song. Anyway that is my personal opinion because I tend to like songs that tend to stick to the original more. Although I would have to agree with avaris on the fact that the song needs structure. It sort of does end to arruptly for me. A more dramatic ending would help. Also consider making it longer. Other than that, I like it.