31 replies to this topic

#21 DarkeSword

DarkeSword

Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

I agree with Coop. I think that making your own podcast about OCR is a great way to start getting involved with the community in the first place, and a "fresh perspective" is definitely needed; a podcast about OCR should be accessible to people who don't frequent the site, and having a host who is discovering things about the community makes it that much more real.

Don't worry too much about getting involved with the "community" first. Just do it and keep doing it. If you do a good job and people like it, then all the better.

#22 siven7

siven7

Dan Hibiki (+75)

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

I agree with Coop and Atmuh especially, but I think that it's really key to distinguish between A SINGLE OCR PODCAST and a slough of other podcasts that beef up and feature OCR all the time. I have a video game music podcast (http://www.songofthefates.com) and while asking permission to play people's remixes, they're almost always OCR ones - OCR is like the Oxford or Cambridge of video game music and the remixers/composers/arrangers are the up-and-coming (if not already established) scholars in the field. Lots of video game music is considered art music and art music has been studied for centuries.

Another example is the Super Koopa Troopa Show, who often had OCR remixes on (especially when Chrono Symphonic was released). The podcast knew where game music is, where it's going and who to turn to for high-quality reinterpretations of music that VGM fans love. The answer: right here.

OCR has a big presence in VGM podcasts, but the problem is not the quantity of OCR on other podcasts, but just the small volume of VGM podcasts out there, with VGDJ being the top of the food chain until January.

I'd be totally up for listening to some new podcasts and to keep plugging OCR on mine, but yeah, the line between "a single OCR podcast" and "a podcast that plugs OCR" is a pretty important one.
Posted Image

#23 Arek the Absolute

Arek the Absolute

Milky Way Wishes Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Well, I am very serious about doing the podcast. In my mind, larry would probably be the best person to do it with. Two non remixers, yet who have been around for a while would be able to give a different feel than what we have had before compared to aurora/rayza and pixietricks/wangless/zircon.

It would be like a weird "FUBU" that felt more at home with those that aren't remixers, yet who come here anyways.
And ya, my quarrel with the site is pretty much gone, but I still dislike offtop. Not the people there, just the sub forum itself.
Posted Image
~*~

#24 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,539 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

I'm a one man show! :tomatoface:

#25 atmuh

atmuh

M. Bison (+7000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,567 posts
  • LocationI wish I wish I was a fish

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

Well whatever happens I eagerly await it.

#26 Arek the Absolute

Arek the Absolute

Milky Way Wishes Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

oh no u iznt
Posted Image
~*~

#27 Fire in the Hole

Fire in the Hole

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:27 PM

I might actually listen if someone like Arek did it, plus Larry groove bias equals hilarity.
Posted Image

#28 retroactive

retroactive

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOn my chair behind my computer.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

I agree with Coop. I think that making your own podcast about OCR is a great way to start getting involved with the community in the first place, and a "fresh perspective" is definitely needed; a podcast about OCR should be accessible to people who don't frequent the site, and having a host who is discovering things about the community makes it that much more real.

Don't worry too much about getting involved with the "community" first. Just do it and keep doing it. If you do a good job and people like it, then all the better.

That's a really good way to put it. That's exactly what I want to do.
Posted Image

#29 siven7

siven7

Dan Hibiki (+75)

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

Well whatever happens I eagerly await it.

Me too, another VGM podcast would be amazing, especially if it highlights OCR :)
Posted Image

#30 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shovel Knight (+16000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,021 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

You had a lot of recurring "backup" characters [like "Mustin"]. I dunno if VGF would've been as memorable without... wait, I can't remember that one dude's name. Southern accent guy, you know? SUPPORT HAS FALLEN

Seriously though, fuck podcasts, those are too canned. I want LIVE RADIO ACTION again.

#31 The wingless

The wingless

Ryu Hayabusa (+2300)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:33 AM

get wingless back

goddamn rabid fans. Leave me and Linsey alone to do our dirty, sinful business!
WWW.THEWINGLESS.COM
Posted Image Posted Image

#32 watkinzez

watkinzez

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast NSW Australia

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

Seriously though, fuck podcasts, those are too canned. I want LIVE RADIO ACTION again.

I'd seriously doubt a VGF podcast would be able to keep to a reasonable running time on a weekly basis anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums