*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Resurfacing Evil'

djpretzel

hey DJP,

this is my first remix that I feel might be even close to worthy of submission.

the name of it is 'Resurfacing Evil'. It is a remix of the Black Omen song from chrono trigger.

This is my third attempt at remixing the black omen song. and the first two were definately way too default fruityloops sounding, but this one I feel is a great improvement.

I don't know if you can classify this song, but the first bit is kind of ambient, but then its sort of a heavier track with some hip-hop-ish drum-loops.

let me know what you think.

you can find it here:

yeah, the site is a pain in the ass, but it works.

also feel free to check out the other stuff on there.

peace

-suzumebachi

PS- Did you get the dates I sent?

Well, some of your samples (like that organ) don't seem to fit in well. And I'm kinda not liking the way it loops twice without much variation, if any at all. As a result, the song doesn't hold much interest. Change things up a bit and things will be much better.

On the plus side, it did a good job enhancing the mood of the original, and the sound quality was mostly good (except of course for the organ).

I'm gonna say No here, to let the artist go back and put some more work into it and basically make it interesting.

And just one last note, be sure you crop any silence from the end of the file. There was about 15 seconds of it at the end here, which in my book is way too long.

I like the way this is done, although that organ sound is a bit lower quality than the rest. I'm going to say NO, because if the remixer worked on this a bit, reverb levels, etc. the mix would sound a lot more 'together', the instruments just don't gel at the moment.

Erm, what's with that FAT gap of silence at the end?

Are those violins at the beginning? Cus I don't like them.

The piano sounds good, although nothing remarkable or different from the original.

The drums right at 0:50 are boring. With the way the bass and the piano is going, it should have been a little more exciti- WHOA! Ew, that organ is gross man. I don't like that at all. Aww, then the violins come back. Then they go away. Hmm, then we basically have a shampoo song: Lather, rinse, repeat. ;)

Okay, my suggestions: Do something about the violins. I don't know what, but something. The organ, it just sounds sickly. A better sample should clear that up just fine. Do something exciting with those drums at 0:50 too. "Bam-piff, bam-piff, bam-piff" for close to half a minute is grating.

Sorry Suzu, I know you've been working on this for a while, but I'm gonna say no here.

Vote: No

I like this mix...but:

It's a little bland and the 15 second silence MUST be trimmed. The mix itself is very well pieced together. However, its faithfulness to the original is what kills it. I'd say keep it is as is for the first loop and maybe do a little something different to the drums for loop 2. How does that sound? Originally I was gonna vote yes, as I didn't see that as tooooooooooo big of a problem. I'd just let the reviewers give you hell. But that 15 seconds of silence has GOT to go, so no.