OCR00731 - Crystalis "Calming the Angry Sea"

orkybash

Crystalis 'Calming the Angry Sea'

Though I never played Crystalis, I *do* know that it is probably the most requested game (except, of course, Terranigma), and this remix should appease those requesting it, at least for a while. It's simple - guitars and seagulls - but it works well. I do have some beefs with it - Coulda used more reverb, for example. But overall it's well arranged, and well worth a download.

The fact that this remix is composed entirely of the guitar, paired with the seagulls and ocean waves, brings a sort of a reminiscence to the feel of the song. I've never played Crystalis, but I did like the song. It's simple but enjoyable, and definately worth the download, especially to fans of the game.

All you non-Crystalis players should be ashamed of yourselves! :D Err, but anyways...a very nice song, composed of, well, guitars and seagulls, as said in the other reviews. This song is much slower than the original which makes it cool. Not much else to comment on...well arranged and recommended

I found Ryan8Bit's remix to be very well arranged. I especially enjoyed the fact that it has been slowed down considerably as compared to the original tune; this changes the frenetic pace of the this part in the game (your character is riding on a dolphin, fighting off octupi and mermen) into a much more relaxed and laid back mood. The use of nature sounds (seagulls and waves) helps set the mood as well, yet they are not used excessively and thus do not detract from the music. I know I'll be listening to this remix every day when I come home from work! :P

Thanks for some of the complements, guys. I thought a general slowing down seemed to fit water better, although you are riding off into battle on the dolphin. The original tune is quite spastic, so I wanted to calm the angry sea, so to speak.

The confused/stuttering guitar playing got on my nerves, but the idea behind the mix is pretty phat. If the guitarist practices more often he might make some cool tunes.

Is there one part specifically where you noticed this? At 2 minutes the backup guitar goes off on a varied strumming them with offbeat triplets and such, is that what you mean? I've been playing guitar for ten years, so I have a pretty good grasp on things, but I'm interested in your input.

*cracks knuckles* hmm, okay

Before going into any details, I just want to lay across my basic points - I don't feel a consistent tempo in this piece (leads and rythym tracks will slightly wander, etc) and there's just no consistent tone in the guitar playing either. Embellishments/trills/etc will either be barely audible or sound very fret fartish. While this isn't going on 100% of the time, it's going enough enough to make a glaring difference to me.

First, at :05. String/fret noise during arpeggiating. Not sure if it's not holding down the fret enough or right handed muting gone bad, but either way it don't sound purty. Again, you hear it at :09. The note doesn't end naturally, and sounds very strained/amateur. Whenever you change positions (I can tell by the fret slides), the tempo stutters a bit and loses its place slightly.

In terms of the part with the lead - the timing's pretty much okay, but there's more of a problem with tone now. I get a little nervous listening to it, since a lot of the notes will just sound like they're not played with confidence.

I can write a lot more if you want me to later on, but I have a cold and it's hard to sit up and think coherently write now (have a nasty flu of some kind).

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I actually did have a metronome going so I wouldn't lose the beat, and when I posted this in the WIP forum, no one seemed to think there should've been drums or anything (which probably would've given it more of that confident feel).

As for the opening, it's hard to hold out those last notes before you move on to the next one. Sometimes sliding is a sacrifice of the game. I've heard worse on some professional acoustic guitar CD's.

But thanks, I'll try and keep that confidence thing in mind while I work on my next mix.

This is an awesome mix. If you've heard the original and played the game, you know this is an awe-commanding movement by Ryan8bit. If not, though, or if you're a little short in the imagination and philosophy side, I'll explain.

(Note: these are my views and do not necessarilyreflect the mind of the remixer)

In the game Crystalis, the Angry Sea is a sea with an alter in the center of the western half. There is a HUGE waterfall, and ther are monsters and whirlpools everywhere. The Gold Statue was taken from the alter, and so of course "the gods are angry," as the saying goes. When you place the gold statue on the alter (you gotta find and fix it first), the whirlpool blocking any travelers' way is removed. Thus the sea is calmed.

The original music ( http://www.zophar.net/nsf Track 4 of the NSF unfortunately it cuts at the end of the loop) was intense (as much as it gets on the NES) and sounded angry. This remix compliments that mood, replacing it with total and complete serenity. Indeed, one may well expect "the gods" to go out of their way to ensure safe passage to all travelers.

The instruments are great, and the extramusical idea of calming is excellently portrayed. That, and it reminds me that the original Crytstalis had GREAT MUSIC (a true masterpiece), and the Gameboy version should be burned!

This is one of my very favorite remixes. Brilliantly arranged and executed. It's appearing in my playlist quite a bit, too.

Ryan8bit- love it. would love to hear more like it.

The lack of drums doesn't detract from the "feeling of confidence." It's actually really nice to find a piece where the remixer was confident enough not to add a drum track. I detect no lack of confidence here. It is as great as it aspires to be, and achieves the mood it aspires to as well.

As to the ending- on the first listen, it did sound a bit abrupt, but after a few repeat listenings, it really does sound like it fits.

Ryan8bit throws in some very gorgeous effects over on this song.

The well played guitar and bass make it sound just natural, and give it this good feel. Although i cant really comment on how faithfull it remains to the game, im going to say that im sure this remix was indeed was well done.

Although the sound is a little bit low quality, and tends to get a little bit on my nerves, this still remains a very good piece, a good download and worth its time

I found this to be a great remix, especially after I started playing the game =D. It's amazing how the liking of a song can increase when you know where it's from :lol:

Anyways, I usually grade according to appropriate rhythm, appropriate soundfonts, overall effect... you can see how this song would create a problem with those grading types...

I think that he kept the tempo pretty stable, especially for playing guitar without any backing beat. I think he did an incredible job, the song definately gives a soothing effect (which I presume he intended), and I think that hey definately put a lot of effort into this piece. I don't know if it was particularly difficult to play or not, but I think he did a good job.

~dj carbunk1e

The guitar arrangement is soothing...at the start, probably not intentionally, you duplicated the 'tone' of the non-distorted guitars in that duet that Ozzy Osbourne did with Lita Ford in the 80's...."Close your eyes forever" or something..must be a chorus/reverb setting? -it's on the first guitar heard in the song:) At :52 there's a pleasant dual guitar harmony going that fits in perfectly and continues...reminded me of the style used in the opening/closing shots of that Clint Eastwood movie "Unforgiven." Unfortunately the harmonied tremolo picking (single string at a time per guitar, I don't think it's 'strumming' across multiple strings but correct me if I'm wrong ;)...the higher note is more centered in the mix), that comes in later wasn't as impressive and was slightly distracting: I felt it should have been a slightly stronger, more consistent strumming (controlling the volume of a stronger strumming at mixdown as opposed to doing it partly via a weak strumming)...guitars tend to lose their tone when you strum too softly (and it's harder to keep a consistent rhythm). The piece has a consistent feel overall and made me want to try the game which I'll surely do.

I wish there was more 'real instrument' stuff like this on overclocked...I enjoyed listening to this soothing piece.

• 7 months later...

The first time I listened to the song I thought how wonderful it was, and how refreshing. The fact that it's not techno, house, or whatever with bunch of drums and stuff going on makes it original and cool. It's absolutely beautiful. Does everything have to be complicated to be good? I think not.

After reading all of the reviews I was really surprised at the level of criticism for such a beautiful song. I began to question myself and my original take on the tune. I just played it again, and again I find it wonderful. Maybe everyone is just too into faster music to appreciate the art of this song. Even my wife, who knows jack about games, really likes the song. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

To Ryan8Bit I would say don't let a little criticism shake your artistic vision. Listening to it makes me want to break out my NES and pick up a copy of Crystalis on Ebay. It was always one of my favorite games.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I have to wonder why I really like this song.

The sound quality doesn't seem that great, the melody doesn't appeal to me (don't like the original tune either), and it's a bit minimalist, which I usually don't like.

For some reason, though, I can't help but download this song and put it on my playlist. O_o? Collectively, it just sounds right somehow. Although I don't like the seagulls.

• 8 months later...

Once.. I was looking for the soundfiles of crystalis. I couldn't find any until I got this web site. I don't know why I choose this song for my first try. Wow!.. I was really amuse of the complete different point of view from the original song I quickly recall in my mind. I found it very nostalgyc.. and even.. (yes.. pretty silly..) I cried with the song. I even write a poetry-like thing in my msn space, inspired on this version. (is in Spanish). I think It's an excellent remix. not matter what other people would think. Thanks a lot for made it Ryan!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

the song has considerable technical issues (as in instrument handling) that have been pointed out here before. I needed not mind, but actually, the composition is rather thin. While the ambient sea sounds fit the piece well, the melodic development is not really interesting enough to carry through the mere 2:30 for which the remix lasts (harmonically its quite straightforward as well). The ending is the weakest point with the guitars abrubtly stopping, which does not work for me since we're quite in the middle of something, expecting 'verse' or outro but not the performers just dropping dead by a heart failure.

• 1 year later...

I know Ryan could really spruce this one up nowadays, as there are some technical issues hampering the mix, but the arrangement idea is so good, it's been a favorite of mine for years despite them. My main concern is some intonation, and some tone choices, but I still love the idea of this one.

Very charming, it has become dear to me. <3

• 11 months later...

It is a rendition such as this that makes you realize just how great the music in the game was. When I hear an interpretation such as this I imagine what it would have been like in the original game. It also makes me wonder just how the music could have sounded if the original artists didn't have the technological limits and could have done exactly the piece they had in their minds. Good job on this piece, thank you!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00731 - Crystalis "Calming the Angry Sea"