FFA Title Song Collab

avaris

Hey dudes this a collab between Skrypnyk and I. The source tune is the title song (Rising Sun) to Final Fantasy Adventure. Our first version got rejected. This version has been completely redone.

Skrypnyk is doin the rhythms and bass. I'm doing the instrumentation and arrangement.

June 16

http://skrypnyk.escariot.net/music/wipcollab2.mp3

Still got another 1:30 worth of material where the entire song expands to a climactic end. We wanna we get the first 2:41 down good before we move on to the last 1:30.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I think adding a backing pad in a few sections would help fill it out a little. Needs some drum fills as well, maybe a rev cymbal right before the bass comes in strong near the middle.

I need to hear the other material as well, right now there is some cool stuff, but it's a bit coverish.

I love the source tune; actually I love the whole soundtrack. I've started a mix of one of the songs on this game actually. :-)

Good start, just need to fill it up a bit. :-)

Final Fantasy Adventure was the first Gameboy game I played as well as the first Final Fantasy title I played, so I have a lot of nostalgia for the game and its soundtrack.

I like the concept, but there are a few notes that sound off that bugged me a lot. At 0:23, you have a melody that is D E F# G F# A G, which is fine, but when you hit the second F#, your bass is playing a G (in other words, your chord progression is D7 G G instead of D7 D7 G, or perhaps even D D7 G), and the F# and G are clashing. You have the same thing around 0:50. Also, around 1:17, the melody you have is E F E D C E G E. The bolded E should be a D, assuming you want to stick with the original melody. I'd suggest you do; my thought on melody is that you should either do it right or reinterpret it; changing a note here or there just makes it look like you don't know the original melody.

The arrangement before you guys get to the melody at 1:11 or so sounds a bit empty, especially from 0:55-1:11. Some kind of melodic focus would help grab the listener a bit more.

If you guys are at all interested in an alto sax solo or melody line or something, let me know. I'm thinking something that's not really jazzy and also isn't too smooth, perhaps with a touch of effects like delay.

Hey thanks for all the comments dudes.:)!! Glad to see there are some fellow FFA lovers out there.

I def agree with all of your points. The song actually keeps on expanding as the mix goes along. Almost in terms of how an orchestral arrangement might have a continual build-up.

Some more thickness in texture and layering and expansion on the melody in the beggining are def in order. Thanks for your comments we are both trying to make this mix as good as possible.

I think adding a backing pad in a few sections would help fill it out a little. Needs some drum fills as well, maybe a rev cymbal right before the bass comes in strong near the middle.

YOU SIR HAVE INSULTED MY DRUMS~!!1 They cry in pain and distortion =(

Actually, I can do that. Fills, stuff, etc. can/will do.

As for my whereabouts, I have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks, leaving me little to no time to actually sit down and work something out. I have 'just' done a little something now, extending it with drums. I'm going to go back and iron out some of the drums (add a rev cymbal, perhaps change the cymbal at the 1:00 or so mark, etc.) Hopefully I'll have time on Sat. to do some of this.

K updatorz.

Still by no means complete, issues with the bassline will be resolved later, issues with the drums can be directed to that brick wall (;)).

I will be screwing around with the drums @ 1:56 and on wards, that's just to give you the basic idea of the song, progression, etc. etc. Probably add a tamborine as well...you can't go wrong with a tamb :3 .

Click me, or the above link, wuteva

Ah, FFA has one of my favorite OSTs, so I'm already inclined to like any remix of it.

What you've got here sounds really promising already. Everything before the fade-out sounds really nice, but that fade-out... is it going to be in the final product as well? I really suggest you find some different transition for that part because it doesn't work (for me, that is!) at all.

The rest of the song sounds good production-wise but it also seems like it doesn't know where it's heading. There's no build-up or anything.

But this is a WIP so I'm anxiously awaiting the next version! :)

POSITIVES

* The sound quality is VERY nice

* The sounds chosen suit the style

* The songs growth is nice

* Mixed by 2 very awesome people <3

NEGETIVES

* Drums SUCK. All round... SUCKAGE

* Drums still SUCK. (seriously the sounds get a bit repeditive after a bit, variation mabey?)

* Ending is too abrupt

* Soundscape isnt filled up enough. There need to be more ornaments

* Dynamic contrast is a bit minimal, but this is moot

* Skrypnyk naturally brings everything down a notch.

:( Wish I was on IRC/the net/non-work related time more, it sucks not having a collab partner.... Overall a nice peice, but could use some work. GOOD LUCK GUYS!!! :D