Search by genre

evanarnett

For the longest time, the site staff refused to add this kind of feature, arguing it would make people miss out on great music because they would only look for remixes in a certain genre (I always browse by game myself, so I miss out on tons of great music anyway). Then, at some point, these tags were introduced. I shouldn't think the search results are complete, unless there's been some big effort to tag every remix for everything, and I don't think there has been. Also, the tags amount to more than just genre labeling; many remixes have been tagged for the instruments featured in them or the nature of their lyrics etc.

For the longest time, the site staff refused to add this kind of feature, arguing it would make people miss out on great music because they would only look for remixes in a certain genre (I always browse by game myself, so I miss out on tons of great music anyway).

Well to clarify, the main issues with genre labeling in the past have typically been based on tagging the mixes with specific genres instead of "Game:"

* In an MP3, you basically can tag a song as only 1 genre; for a lot of songs, that wouldn't be specific enough

* If you list more than 1 genre in the Genre field of an MP3, it's not standardized, and it looks clunky and inconsistent

* We have too many mixes with no primary or easy to classify genre, so within a framework designed to only show 1 genre, trying to address that for mixes with multiple genres was not worth the hassle

The focus of these suggestions had always been about re-doing the files and dropping Game as a genre, which we're never going to do. But when it dawned on djp that we could use a more robust blog-like tagging system to not have to be limited to only 1 description word/genre, we could use other descriptors that had absolutely nothing to do with genre (e.g. instrumentation, mood), and also NOT tie it to the MP3s themselves (eliminating the need to frequently revise the files), he was on board. And it took some convincing for other judges to be in favor of it, but the consensus was there that a classification system that wasn't limited would end up being beneficial.

The tags themselves are nowhere near done. When they are though, djp's plan is to integrate into the actual database so we can search mixes that way as well.

Stuff about ID3 tags

I'm not sure about whether you were just QFE-ing me or actually replying to me, but I wasn't actually referring to the MP3 files when I said I browse by game. I meant I look up a specific game here on the site, maybe even a specific song from its soundtrack, and I listen to the remixes thereof, not knowing their genre beforehand, because I don't really care. As I remember it, the ID3 limitation of only one genre was not the reason for not allowing visitors to this site to search for remixes in a particular genre. It was an ideological design choice, it was one of the reasons for the VGMix exodus, and I'm pretty sure it was explained in the FAQ back in the day, along with why we weren't allowed to share favorites lists on the boards. I'm not arguing against this ideology, I'm just saying.

Enter shameless other-plug: The tags are great, because even though I don't really care much about genre in general, and even though I think something like the worst thing that could happen to this place is if the front page would be transformed into a genre selection menu... sometimes you have an idea for a remix, you have a wip and that one is a certain genre, and you need inspiration or want to compare with existing remixes, and the tags help you find them. Or maybe you forgot everything about a remix you really liked (artist, game), and then you can search for an element in it, like "female vocals", thereby narrowing your search, and find the remix. Also, browsing by genre ironically helps me find great music I would normally miss out on because I typically browse by game. Maybe I'm on the lookout for anything with a banjo in it, and so I find a final fantasty (which I never played and therefore don't care much for) remix with a banjo in it and maybe I like it and start listening to other final fantasy remixes or even the OSTs. Mission accomplished, as far as djp is concerned.

I'm not sure about whether you were just QFE-ing me or actually replying to me, but I wasn't actually referring to the MP3 files when I said I browse by game. I meant I look up a specific game here on the site, maybe even a specific song from its soundtrack, and I listen to the remixes thereof, not knowing their genre beforehand, because I don't really care. As I remember it, the ID3 limitation of only one genre was not the reason for not allowing visitors to this site to search for remixes in a particular genre. It was an ideological design choice, it was one of the reasons for the VGMix exodus, and I'm pretty sure it was explained in the FAQ back in the day, along with why we weren't allowed to share favorites lists on the boards. I'm not arguing against this ideology, I'm just saying.

I was only just finding the community when VGMix started, but lack of genre labeling had nothing to do with it. The reason I bring up ID3 tagging is because before the advent of blogs and tag clouds, when most people pushed the genre labeling idea, the central idea to do it was retagging the files, and that's always been a sticking point for the reasons I mentioned. People wanted to be able to download every file, sort the ones with a genre of say, Rock, keep those, and then throw the rest away, which we hated the notion of. Doing labeling that's not limited to 1 term and not part of the MP3s themselves avoids that possibility entirely.

Enter shameless other-plug: The tags are great, because even though I don't really care much about genre in general, and even though I think something like the worst thing that could happen to this place is if the front page would be transformed into a genre selection menu... sometimes you have an idea for a remix, you have a wip and that one is a certain genre, and you need inspiration or want to compare with existing remixes, and the tags help you find them. Or maybe you forgot everything about a remix you really liked (artist, game), and then you can search for an element in it, like "female vocals", thereby narrowing your search, and find the remix. Also, browsing by genre ironically helps me find great music I would normally miss out on because I typically browse by game. Maybe I'm on the lookout for anything with a banjo in it, and so I find a final fantasty (which I never played and therefore don't care much for) remix with a banjo in it and maybe I like it and start listening to other final fantasy remixes or even the OSTs. Mission accomplished, as far as djp is concerned.

Yep, we had reservations, but aside from inertia/precedent, we ultimately felt the same way you do here. Some people will be picky douches about genres, but most others will explore more.

I'm going to assume my second question got lost in the discussion, so I'll ask again: is there a way right now to use the tags to search for mixes?

Also I wrote "final fantasty" and you guys didn't even notice. Lol

As a proficient Grammar Nazi, I noticed, but chose not to mention it because I gave up long ago on trying to grammar-nazi forumites. (No offense.)

I'm going to assume my second question got lost in the discussion, so I'll ask again: is there a way right now to use the tags to search for mixes?

If you click on the tags on the page that Liontamer posted, it will show you the list of all songs with that tag. We don't have capability to search on multiple tags yet (to my knowledge).

Tags as they are right now are in sort of a temporary implementation. We're using the vBulletin's thread-tagging feature to tag the review threads for remixes.

Eventually, the tags will be transferred over to the site's database and integrated into the site proper, but at the moment, there is no timeline on this feature. So for now, just use the forum's tags.

• 1 month later...

Hey, it's been a while since I've been here and I was wondering if there might be a way to sort the remixes by genre. This way if I feel like listening to techno, orchestral, samba, or hard rock on any one day I can access them easily...

Sorry if I missed this posted somewhere else btw...

Currently, no. We're working on something more robust than just genres that will eventually be integrated into the actual database. For now though, there's http://ocremix.org/forums/tags.php

Prior to that work, we absolutely refused to classify genres, because most people wanted us to tag the mixes with 1 genre in every file, which is impossible given how many mixes are multiple genres. With a tagging system, we can have as many descriptors as we need and include instruments and moods as well, all without touching the files themselves or changing the Genre tags in the MP3s from Game.

• 1 month later...

while i NEVER use the genre tabs to sort music in my music players i would love to see some sort of filtering or tags for remixes by genre. not game genre but the type of remix it is. i say this because right now im obsessed with dubstep. so shoot me. i know its zelda's 25th this year and i should be collecting everything hyrulian from piano solos to swanky rupee jazz but really all i want right now is dirty coarse dubstep, and ill take it in the form of megaman, zelda, metroid or any other game ive never played. next month who knows maybe ill be into chiptunes or trance or metal and thell ill be trying once again to scrounge all the new songs i can that fit my particular mood. to be able to search for songs according to several advanced filtering options would seriously be supercool... and as always LOVE this site, and all you rediculously talented and generous people who can and do so much for this community. freaking thanks!