#161 Kuolema

Kuolema

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

From what I understand, the lack of these kinds of tags is to encourage people to listen to a variety of remixes instead of just those from one genre. Although I think that this is important, I also think that the addition of these tags would be beneficial for exactly the same reasons as neophytegod, and that people might actually be able to find more remixes in this way. I'm sure there are plenty of mixes that I'm missing out on because I don't have the time to wade through all of the ones that I don't particularly like. I also don't think that having the tags would necessarily limit people to only 1 genre. With the addition of the tags, you might see a genre that you don't know very well and decide to give it a try, or you might just not realize that there are mixes on the site in a particular genre.

Just some things to consider :)

#162 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb

Shell Shocked Director, Around the World Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

Click the link Larry posted. There's been some genre tags in place for some time now.

Nitro Game Injection, Sundays 6PM ET & GameFuel: Listen on Arecibo Radio | Website | OCR Thread
Projects: VROOM! | TMNT IV: Shell Shocked | KNGI Project Forums | KNGI Records

#163 neophytegod

neophytegod

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

... I also don't think that having the tags would necessarily limit people to only 1 genre...

yeah, i dont see this limiting people, not on a regular basis anyway. one night might be a certain genre tag but a week later i may browse by game, or artist or any number of things. i like to think of my music in terms of cravings and consumption, sometimes ill eat just about anything but some days i NEED that cheeseburger!

and sweet, thanks for the link liontamer

#164 Palpable

Palpable

Judge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

This will have some false positives, but does give you something to start with:
http://www.google.co...g/remix dubstep

#165 Kuolema

Kuolema

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

Click the link Larry posted. There's been some genre tags in place for some time now.

Haha, yeah I clicked on the link after I posted that XD
But yeah tbh the tags are really crap right now...I'm glad it's being worked on, but the way it is right now it's more or less unusable :(

#166 Atrea

Atrea

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

First of all this website is amazing already. I can't imagine that this has not been suggested before, however I haven't found anything about it.

It would be easy to add an option to search for music in categories like metal, rock, piano, symphony, harmonic etc. Then you can find all piano tracks in a few clicks.
Disadvantage would be now that all other oploaded mp3's have to be edited..

So I'm not sure if it's a good idea, however maybe there is a work around?

#167 Chernabogue

Chernabogue

Legacy Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Already asked by others and currently in the works. :-D

#168 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,764 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

http://ocremix.org/f...ead.php?t=33686

We'll eventually end up better integrating this into our site database (i.e. not just show on the forums), but we've already been working on it for quite a while now.

http://ocremix.org/forums/tags.php

In the works. :-)

#169 codebeard

codebeard

King Hippo (+15)

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Just updated my site URL, since the old URL hasn't been working for a while:

OverClocked ReMix tag index:
http://kieranclancy.com/ocrtags/

#170 pokemoneinstein

pokemoneinstein

Goemon (+300)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationMilton, MA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Why, exactly, does the site not have this feature? Remixes could be tagged with genre tags, like rock, chiptune, orchestral, jazz, and people could search for a certain genre, and everything with that tag would pop up. It would be an incredible task to add genres to all the songs, but I think it would probably be worth it. And then, of course for future submissions, genre tags could be a requirement.

#171 Fishy

Fishy

Judge, Worlds Apart Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

It's in the FAQ,

http://ocremix.org/i...tral.2C_etc..3F

There is however a tagging system going on that works a better for OCR, so you can tag remixes with guitar, or chiptune etc without clumsy genre shoving. I don't know too much about it, hopefully someone else will chip in.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#172 pokemoneinstein

pokemoneinstein

Goemon (+300)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationMilton, MA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see that. The second reason is good, though the genre tagging system would fix the problem with the first. if a song has elements of multiple genres, it would be tagged with them. I still think searching by genre would be a great feature, but I understand the decision not to include it. There isn't much way around the second point, save for the fact that if someone who likes, say, dubstep, listens to a song that has jazz elements, and decides from there to check out songs that are more heavily influenced by jazz, and then discovers one with orchestral elements, and thing goes on to listen to more orchestral songs, then discovers orchestral rock, then regular rock, and blah blah blah, I'm sure you all get it.

#173 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb

Shell Shocked Director, Around the World Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

It's not fully implemented, but you can take advantage of the tag system right now: http://ocremix.org/forums/tags.php

Nitro Game Injection, Sundays 6PM ET & GameFuel: Listen on Arecibo Radio | Website | OCR Thread
Projects: VROOM! | TMNT IV: Shell Shocked | KNGI Project Forums | KNGI Records

#174 Xarnax42

Xarnax42

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

For quick playlists based on tags, codebeard has done some really nice work: http://kieranclancy.com/ocrtags/
Posted Image

#175 Guilty Gear

Guilty Gear

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi there!

That's my first time using the forum of OCR! This page is just beyond epicness, but I don't have to tell you guys ;)

The whole website is great... Did David or who ever manages this page ever thought about adding genre information to all the remixes?
At the moment, I can search and list for game titles, artist names and album titles... But It would a very good tool if you could filter all remixes by genres for example: rock-, electro-, chip tune or orchestral-remixes.

For example my self, I'm a big instrumental rock and metal remixes fan and its VERY hard to find songs in this style because you have ten thousand of remixes all over and for me... it's to hard. so because of that I'm maybe not the best visitor of ocremix.org although the page is beyond epicness...

I know it is ALOT of work to add this additional information to all songs, but maybe you can add it just on the new incomings? and adding the information to the old songs, step by step...

Or I'm the only one who need this? :S

Greetings from Switzerland!
Marc

#176 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Futebol Arte Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSton, Croatia

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Well, for now you can do a search by tag: http://ocremix.org/f...gs.php?tag=rock

Maybe a more prominent feature will be implemented in the future :mrgreen:

#177 Melbu Frahma

Melbu Frahma

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

As I recall, this was discussed in the past... I'll see if I can find the thread and link it to you (although it might be somewhere in the Ask a Judge thread).

EDIT: Found it: http://ocremix.org/f...highlight=genre
Posted Image
Posted Image

#178 Rozovian

Rozovian

Workshop Moderator, Songs of Light and Darkness Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

tl;dr: genre stuff wasn't used before because genre snobs would then not listen to the many cool mixes that weren't in their preferred genre.

You could try to use this off-site resource to create playlists and work out of those. I gave it a quick try with an artist-sorted iTunes library, which didn't work. They playlist can be drag-n-dropped or otherwise imported into iTunes, but ends up empty.

The playlist file is just a list of the filenames for the tracks. Dunno how up to date it is, at what stage the tagging project is, if iTunes or more recent naming conventions screw with the filenames, or it can be conveniently converted to something that takes different music library organization schemes into account.

Or perhaps importing the m3u from a directory full of shortcuts to the files works?

#179 Guilty Gear

Guilty Gear

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

As I recall, this was discussed in the past... I'll see if I can find the thread and link it to you (although it might be somewhere in the Ask a Judge thread).

EDIT: Found it: http://ocremix.org/f...highlight=genre

thank you for answering!
ouch, 18 pages :S I go throught the thread and the answer is their is no need for, you can ask the forum members? :S that is definitely not a good solution : /

@Rovozian
Thanks for answering
I actually don't understand what you writting about :mrgreen: but sorting by artists is not very helpful i think :S

@hakstock
Thanks for answering
Are all remixes in this forum?? your just the discussed ones?

btw I do know a thread for searching of Genre, to test that solution...

#180 Rozovian

Rozovian

Workshop Moderator, Songs of Light and Darkness Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Most of what I said makes sense if you're using the link I gave you to create m3u playlists and attempt to import them into iTunes. If not, ignore it. :)

While on this topic, iTunes seem to wanna sort ocr tracks with the new id3 tags into a single itunes media/music/compilations/http___ocremix.org (on mac). Once the entire ocr database is updated and ppl use files with the new tags, a script that does this could probably be added to Kieran's thing. Or ppl could just open the m3u files and search&replace all new lines with new line and whatever parts of the locator are needed.

idunno, Larry, Dave, Kieran, whoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums