OCR01596 - Final Fantasy X "Twilight of Ivory"

Minimalism is good. This is an awesome mix that is going straight on my Mp3 player. As soon as I can get some batteries for it.

PS. The writeup says that BGC cast the tiebreaking vote, but reading the decisions it seems that zyko cast the last vote instead?

This is a very killer track, and fits in well with the mini-flood of remixes that came out this weekend. I like how instead of constantly stacking more and more layers, things drift in and out. The sonic landscape is always shifting, and it makes the song feel more like a journey. The beat stays steady, despite the shifts.

Melodically there are a lot of cool extra ideas. I am really liking this mix.

The chord at :48ish doesn't bother me at all, and I didn't even notice the potential division among other listeners until I read about it. My take is that it is a passing tone that is resolved, and while i'm not going to write out the chord progression here at work and figure out if its "correct", it sounds good to me, and gives the passage a bit of extra color.

However; that metallic snare at the beginning. No. I'll say it again; No. Doesn't add anything to the track and just tends to be annoying on repeat listens. Good thing it only lasts for about 5 seconds, if it had been used throughout the mix, it might have been a dealbreaker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Minimalism is good. This is an awesome mix that is going straight on my Mp3 player. As soon as I can get some batteries for it.

PS. The writeup says that BGC cast the tiebreaking vote, but reading the decisions it seems that zyko cast the last vote instead?

I agree. Minimalism IS good.

Also... this song makes me WISH I had an I-Pod. That makes three portability comments in 1 page. Spooky.

Fan-freaking tastic Palpable. Stick around. Do 1000 more like it.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This track has gotten stuck in my head of late, and I love it. It has this great 80s groove feel to it that creates a cool but energetic feel for the listener. I'm surprised it hasn't received more reviews; this track stood out to me among OCRemixes because of its obvious quality and sheer spiffiness.

• 4 months later...

It never ceases to amaze me how vastly different people's tastes can be. One of my most favorite vg remixes passes by a hair's breadth. Incredible. I suppose I'm just a sucker for what I've dubbed 'dream trance': a heavy, rhythmic beat with higher-pitched instruments, especially a bright piano, that are used in a minimalist framework to create 'dreamy' atmosphere. That's exactly what this track is. And I love it.

To try to be a bit objective, I gave this a couple critical listens before I commented, and the only blemish I noticed was that the deepest bass notes fuzzed-out a bit. But that might be from my speakers. Every little sound, every added instrument and effect... they all belonged. I liked the tiny bit of dissonance. I especially liked how this mix didn't try to do too much; it didn't throw you about, it gently carried you to another place. Hope, longing, sadness, and a quiet persistence all came through my speakers. Doing so without live instruments is a triumph; I don't think it easy to squeeze emotions out of a computer, and though Palpable isn't the only remixer here to have accomplished this, it's still a commendable feat.

Perhaps my evaluation reveals my ignorance of music theory and of music sequencing. And that's fair. But ultimately, to me, it seems there is a disconnect between how the remixer intended his creation to be heard and what many in the audience expected to hear. This isn't an overtly technical piece; in fact, if it were challenging, it would betray its very purpose. The complexity lies in the addition and layering of sounds while still maintaining the invitingly-simple overall structure... to dab with color to enhance the atmosphere, but not to paint over it.

To each his own? Well, I'll take it! Thank you, Mr Prabhu.

• 5 months later...

I like that 3 subdivisions' sound, swing or whatever you want to call it, it's a nice break from the stale ol' four on the floor types, despite this being a four on the floor remix. There are some great synths used here. 80's synth toms? All good. The repetition? Not as much. The piano feels a little dry and short sometimes, but those two are really my only crits about this. Great track.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this is interesting. This is definitely one of those mixes you have to just sit down ant listen to in order to get the full effect. I am having trouble believing that this is "minimalist" too.

The only thing that really stays constant throughout is the driving beat, and it does something different each section.

I'm not 100% sure what to make of this mix; it just leaves me confused and intrigued. But I definitely recommend for anyone reading this to listen to this for yourself and making up your own mind about it.

• 3 years later...

When it first started, yeah, it was pretty minimalist, but it got ridiculously good after the 1:00 mark every time the pads came in. The soundscape is really well done, sound design and all. The bass is nice and low, playing notes that I would actually have done myself if the me of today wrote this back then. The pads fill things out excellently. The reverb on the hi hats is a little off, but that's pretty minor. The piano is rather dry, but it's not detracting (I'm surprised only zircon mentioned the piano). I also love the wobbly pad at 4:29. :)

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 years later...

Still my fav Palpable remix. Manages to keep the atmosphere/snowy mountain vibe of the original Ronso section of FFX, but with a simple yet polished beat to carry you through. That synth sound at 3:15 is like getting frost blown in your face. Super cool, pun completely intended.

I'd say this mix is a good example to follow when you're first starting out learning how to remix. I say this not having even finished any attempts at making one just yet:blink:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01596 - Final Fantasy X "Twilight of Ivory"