OCR01654 - *YES* Super Mario RPG 'Last Night a DJ Kidnapped Mallow' *RESUB*

Liontamer

I had Skryp send me a revised version of the "compare.mp3" he made as he first attempted to tweak the track; an easy reference - LT

Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8900

Sounds slightly different, melody changed and title changed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely liked the older mix title a lot more, but that's not the most important thing here. :-)

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=smr - "Sad Song" (smr-125.spc)

Excepting arrangement, the only other minor differences I heard were the effects on the intro sample and the sampled dialogue being dropped way down from 2:17-2:51, which I thought was a shame. The dialogue was cool to pay attention to during the dropoff section and gave you something to tune into, but now it just feels too empty for too long. Whatchagonnado?

I definitely heard all of the connections last time around but felt it added up to being borderline too liberal. With some simple melodic adjustments by Andy, the connections to the "Sad Song" melody are significantly more direct, even though most of the arrangement remains unchanged.

And, thus a NO has nudged into a YES. Thanks very much Andy for being willing to revisit this one and making the minor tweaks needed to get the arrangement more solid. This is a very unique and creative addition to OCR, and your skills have come a long way.

YES

• 1 month later...

I'm always impressed by Skrypnyk's drum programming skills - while his work on "Back 2 Skala" is fantastic, the programming here is absolutely top-notch. The main groove is killer, but all the detailed fills, record scratches, and effects make it truly a standout. Production overall is ace, too. Combine all that with a highly interpretive (but not too liberal!) arrangement and you've got an awesome remix. Good job Skryp.

YES

Well, I'll just go ahead and bite the bullet. This is still a pretty liberal mix, but despite my adamant objection to the last version, I feel a lot more comfortable after Skryp's breakdown of exactly how the source ties in to the melody.

I'll even go so far to say that I was wrong the first time around about how recognizable the melody reinterpretation was. Don't get me wrong, this is still liberal as hell, and still a hair's breadth from going into the red, but it's an awesome track, and I'll go ahead and give the 4th Y here.

Funny thing is, Skryp change very very little from his first mix to this one. So it's almost like I'm changing my vote rahter than voting on a new submission. What can I say. Nobody's perfect.

Welcome aboard.

NO

whoops, habit. sorry.

YES