OC ReMix @ Otakon: Site Staff Presents Panel on Video Game Music ReMixing

djpretzel

OC ReMix at Otakon: Site Staff to Present Panel on Video Game Music ReMixing

For Immediate Release

July 16th, 2007

BALTIMORE–-OverClocked ReMix (www.ocremix.org), a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of video game music, will have an official presence at the fan convention Otakon (www.otakon.com). The highlight of OC ReMix's participation will be a panel presentation on Friday morning at 10 a.m. featuring OCR submissions judges and the unveiling of a soon-to-be-released album project created by the Web site's contributors.

This weekend's convention marks OverClocked ReMix's second official presentation at Otakon, a convention which brings together fans of anime, manga, cosplay, video games and East Asian culture. First held in 1994 with an attendance of 350, the convention has since grown to over 22,000 attendees in the heart of Baltimore's landmark Inner Harbor to become the second-largest anime convention in North America.

The relationship between OverClocked ReMix and Otakon began at last year's event, as both organizations share a mutual interest in promoting fan participation. OverClocked ReMix's primary focus is a Web site that hosts fan arrangements of game music from musicians around the world, available for download free of charge. David W. Lloyd, a local resident of Fairfax, Virginia, created the site in 1999 with the goal of promoting game music through arrangement and reinterpretation.

"Otakon has always been aimed at fan participation--in what they love, not just consumption," says Jim Vowles, member of the Otakorp, Inc. Board of Directors. "Video game and anime music can be beautiful, not just catchy, and because we tend to live with it in repetition for hours, it quickly becomes part of our lives. These fantastic soundtracks have helped form a set of shared experiences that transcends cultures."

"OC ReMix is proud to be included once again as part of the programming during this great event," says David W. Lloyd, also known as "djpretzel." "We hope fans of our site will come and attend the convention and support video game music and fandom."

Panel Information:

Name of Panel: "OverClocked ReMix: Video Game Music Evolved"

Date: Friday, July 20, 2007

Time: 10AM-Noon

For registration Information, visit www.otakon.com.

Hundreds of free game music arrangements and a thriving community of game music fans can be found at OverClocked ReMix's Web site, www.ocremix.org.

Just got my badge. Looks like I'm good to go for tomorrow. I'll see you folks at the panel, then! I can hardly wait.

By the way, line wait for me took about 1 hour, and that was with the line wrapping around three-fourths of the building. They're pretty good this year with efficiency in the line, so I'd estimate about a 1 hour wait on Friday morning (pre-reg and normal reg). <i>However</i> stuff could change, and this year might be busier than normal.

Getting in line right at 8:30 will <i>probably</i> be sufficient to get your badge by 10AM and make it to the panel... but it couldn't hurt to get there earlier. KF

Heya all - no one here probably remembers me from way back when OCR first started, but I knew DJ Pretzel back in high school and wrote a track or two here. I was stoked to see OCR make it to Otakon last year and caught the tail end of the panel. This year I'll definitely be there and would love to hang out a bit. Will be sure to make the meetup lunch.

Myself and a friend of mine will probably be getting more involved here as we begin to compose seriously for the video game industry. Gotta keep the chops up, and composing remixes also means studying game music. I'm looking forward to it!

See you there.

I can't wait. I'm already in Baltimore, my friends and I have our badges. We are SO ready. I'll be going to the panel, and then I'll be joining the group for the meetup and lunch. Though I'm looking over the materials from registration, I haven't had a change yet to decide what else I want to do since this is my first Otakon.

Anyway, see you all there!!!

I was just curious, but where's everybody staying for Otakon? I'm staying at the Rodeway Inn off of route 95 (for those that know, it's a truck stop, but was the most economical place to stay) But yes, that's where I'm at. I was just curious where everyone else is staying.

Also, I'll be at the panel in the morning and then be with for the subsequent meetup after.

Ninja Ferret says:

I am going to be there early, and for the love of mike if you have to wait in line be smart and bring some effing water! It does get hot out there! Anyway, ciao, see you tomorrow, and don't be like the guy I saw at the light rail station today who was operating on nothing but four hours of sleep and mountain dew. That guy is skinny as hell.

Enjoy, guys. Record that Panel, Jiggles. I really want to watch that. The reaction on peoples' faces when you guys announce the release date of the FFVII project will be priceless!

I'll be doing a bit of photography at the panel. So, hopefully, I'll capture some priceless shots for one and all. No promises though.

I just wanted to let everyone know, the panel was awesome! I had a great time, and very much enjoyed myself. Don't forget about the meetup tomorrow (Saturday) as well. Today's meetup was fun as well, I had a good time.

Also, if anyone wants to hang out with me this evening that's still at the con, feel free to find me in the dealer's room. Also, at 10pm I'm going to the Podcaster's Roundtable in Panel 1 (Rm 337-338 at the Pratt Street Entrance).

Awesome panel! Loved every minute, the crowd was really great, and the meet-and-greet afterwards, while busy with filling shirt and CD purchases, was still very excellent. Thanks to everyone who came out to see the panel, who participated in the activities and everyone I talked to personally.

I was so glad to meet MIDIman, DJ Carbunk1e/Xaleph, Dale North, and injury for the first time, and hopefully we'll all be hanging out later this weekend!

Whewwww... Just got back to Dave's, and we're all pretty exhausted after the 3 hours of sleep yesterday. Had to get up at 5:30 this morning. I might try to post what pics we have so far, but no guarantees they'll be up tonight. SO tired.

It was fantastic to see you all out there today! Thanks for all the support; what a crowd... Lots of new faces! Hope to see even more of y'all tomorrow. :<

Wow... The panel was amazing. Pixietricks, zircon, djpretzel, Larry, you guys did an incredible job, getting the audience all involved and into it like that... This was the perfect way to kick off the convention; it certainly made all that effort with early badge pickup and leaving early Friday morning worth it.

Also, thanks so much for signing the Antrigravity album for me {^^}.

Anyway, for everyone else at Otakon, enjoy the rest of the convention! KF

Well, didn't quite make it to the dealer's room. No big deal, tomorrrow's my big day in the dealer's room, sometime between the second meetup, the Steve Blum autograph session and some weird panel later in the day.

I'm looking forward to the second meetup, hope to see everyone there!

Great seeing you guys all there - we're trying to head back today with Chaz again, but I can't seem to reach him.

We were exhausted when we came back, leaving at 4:45 am to head out to the convention was just insane but fun ^_^' I guess I'm saying I'd understand why he may not join us today (Saturday) - but Eko and I will be there!

Thanks guys for the panel, definitely a lot of great work put into it and the results were indeed awesome!

-xal

PS - it's also amazing that the guy played so many games, but didn't know what the konami code was. I thought the ppt game was pretty clever ^_~