Photo
- - - - -

The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

• Please log in to reply
3175 replies to this topic

#2821 TheMrkuul

TheMrkuul

Chocobo (+20)

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Hi guys!

i finally got around to joining OCremix, been wanting to do that for some time now, and finally got the chance.

let me introduce myself
my name is Luuk and i go by the alias of TheMrkuul. i love videgame soundtracks for the feeling of recognition they awake in me. i grew up in the 80's and 90's and saw the rise and fall of a complete videogame era :<
i have been playing music ever since i was old enough to play a keyboard, my dad was a musician as well, so it started off early :-D
Can you imagine a small kid, five years of age, banging enthousiastically on an organ keyboard? that kid would be me :lmassoff:

over the years as i grew up i became more and more developed, learning to read notes and playing them on the fly, i learned to play piano keyboard an organ. i took up several other instruments along the way, i play bass guitar, accordion, percussion (cajon or rockbox) several synths, and i sing. this combined with the power of the almighty atari STe (at that time the most widely used sequencing machine along with Cubase) lead to the skills i now posess. the sequencing software i use are several, i use Fruity, Cubase, Sonar, Acid and sometimes for making samples i use Audacity. i make use of a lot of VST instruments, sometimes i even use circuit bent or modded hardware because VST's cannot always produce the "right" sound.

the equipment i have:
Yamaha Dx7, Korg X5d, Roland ax7, Korg Trinity Rack, Stereo microphone setup for recording, a Cajon, An Aria 120 bass accordion, a fender precision bass, a load of VST instruments (some specifically designed and modded by me) some modded hardware (like a modded NES) for chipsounds. more equipment is added from time to time. (it keeps growing! my house is too small!)

i absolutley love writing arrangements, been in several bands, playing live on stage. right as of now i am working again to get a group together to be on the stage, just for the thrill and the fun of it.

i can't wait for a competition to start! also i am very interested in a collaboration on remixes, sharing creativity with others and learning from it is what music is all about!

i'll post some of my music remixes, which are hosted on soundcloud in the appropriate section later.

for now i say HI to all you musicians here and hope to have a happy, fruitful stay here.
Making music like a sir since 1990

#2822 jnWake

jnWake

Cammy (+850)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

Hey!

I've know of OCRemix for a while but I had never checked the forums until a couple of days ago...

I am a keyboardist though I don't have a really great keyboard, so my recording possibilities are quite bad sadly. I've been composing for quite a few years and even though I don't know much theory, I think I'm at least a decent composer.

Regarding music, I listen mainly to progressive rock/metal, but I'm open to other styles. And in games, I like almost everything. My faves are Zelda, Final Fantasy, Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie and more.

Anyway, I hope I can contribute with some arrangements if I figure out how to use some of the softwares recommended here. I noticed there are no Earthbound/Mother 3 remixing projects, which is quite sad...

#2823 Organgrinder

Organgrinder

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hello everyone!

My name is Jordan and I'm a New Yorker. I've been playing (obsessed with) video games for about 20 years now and I've always loved the music. The first game I can remember playing is Metroid II for the Game Boy. Besides video game music, I listen to all kinds of genres, though metal would probably be the go-to for me. I've done some quick and terrible remixes in the past, but now I'm trying to do it right. I'm working on one now and hope to have it up on the WIP board tonight.

#2824 riulyn

riulyn

Slime (+5)

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Hello,

I'm Riulyn and I've known about this site for years but never really thought about joining an online community that appreciated videogame music until now. My main connection to videogames at the moment is transcribing their music for piano [I sadly spend more time working on transcriptions than playing videogames]. I would like to submit some remixes at some point but I lack the equipment or the funds to make anything that sounds nice.

I think I'll mostly be lurking and occasionally checking out people's WIPs. I'm pretty obsessive over the Suikoden series so if you make a Suikoden ReMix I'm sure I'll listen to it at least once.

#2825 Hot Pink

Hot Pink

Chocobo (+20)

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

I guess I should write and introduction thingy. Well, there isn't much to say within the context of music. I'm not a composure, singer, or musically inclined at all. Listening to music is fine, I suppose, but I'm also fine with not listening to it. I'm just weird, I suppose. I'm much more artistically gifted in other areas, like painting, drawing, and graphic design.

Aside from that, I'm a nerd. I like anime and manga, video games, comics, reading books, even writing--yes, I write fan fiction. I also play Dungeons & Dragons, both 3.5 and 4e. So, yeah, huge nerdy girl. Mirby told me this place was cool, so I thought I'd check it out and stuff.

#2826 psychowolf

psychowolf

Crash Bandicoot (+650)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sup people
hot pink and mirby forced me to finally introduce myself (i hate introductions >.<)
Real names karl as a few may guess, other online handles include psychowolf11 and killer2099, real original i know right?

"Psych is a professional rodeo clown. He enjoys daytime soap operas, meeting chickens at the petting zoo, and making fried eggs for all his meals. His favorite game is Sims 2. His favorite TV show is Alf. His favorite movie is Pretty Woman."

I'm pretty much a fanboy of you guys and your remixes, i have zero talent in music, but i do have a deviant art where i upload drawings i do (i'm sure you'l be able to find it if you look hard enough)
I am a total nerd, i like comics, scifi movies and cartoons/anime
and the obvious games

pretty much

#2827 imazi643

imazi643

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hello OCReMix! My name is Andrew.
I like music.
I like video games.
Huzzah!
:-D

#2828 Cinctulan

Cinctulan

King Hippo (+15)

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm Matt.

I'm 22, I live in NJ, USA, and I've always loved both gaming and music. I'm a drummer and guitarist, but I have more experience with guitar (I sold my drum kit years ago). Unfortunately, I've been neglecting my guitars for a while now, so I'm a little rusty. I actually started college as a music recording major, but have since decided to switch over to computer science for various reasons.

I recently started composing electronic music with FL studio. It's loads of fun, and it makes me feel a lot more productive than spending ALL of my free time playing video games :-P

I'm also a beginner programmer, who has yet to get his feet wet with anything substantial (aside from basic college class projects). The only language I really feel comfortable using at the moment is Java, but I plan on learning C++ as soon as I'm a bit more experienced. I made a few flash games (using AS3) for school, and I really like the idea of developing games as a hobby, or possibly even a profession. We'll see :D

I'm really excited to be a part of this community, and I know there are tons of extremely talented people here that I can learn a lot from. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Edited by Cinctulan, 12 April 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#2829 MangaMan

MangaMan

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hello, MangaMan here.
I've only been on this site for a short while and I suppose I should have came here first but oh well.
I review manga and anime on both my blip.tv channel and Youtube channel called MangaMan Reviews.
I'm also the project coordinator for the Majora's Mask: Tears of the Moon Musical Remix project (Recruiting now!).
Big fan of anime, love music, and I love video games.

#2830 LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hello! I'm LuigiBlood, 18 years old french guy.

I do ROM Hacking, Music, Videos, and some more.

So I use FL Studio for making music and remixes, and I've did quite some stuff there... Sometimes I do still use Wario Ware DIY for making music.
Almost all my songs/remixes there:
http://soundcloud.com/luigiblood

About my other stuff...
Working on BS-X Project, with the goal of making a working Satellaview server. And it partially works now.
I have a YouTube channel, which the nickname is "KiiroBomber" there.

Anyway, hoping I'll get along here. ^^

#2831 alangee15

alangee15

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hello OC pals!
My name is Alan Garcia and I am a bassist/composer currently working as a composer for "Breeze in the Clouds": a video game currently in development by SrBilyon Harris and HeadRush Games.

I have been playing electric bass for about 5 years now, but have only recently acquired the means to finally be able to compose. Composing for Breeze takes up most of my time, but I am really looking forward to doing some great arrangements for my favorite video game music.

Hope you can guys can drop by my channels to share your opinions on my original and remixed work. I'll make sure to do the same for you all as well:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2832 Selben Coirlo

Selben Coirlo

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

I'm pretty sure no one actually reads these so I'll keep it brief. I've been writing music for a decade or so now, and recently came back from a long hiatus. I'm frustrated that I have few people to share my music with nowadays, so I registered here for the entirely selfish reason of finding an audience that might give me some feedback.

Currently I'm in the process of designing, programming, and scoring an independent game project. It's still in its infancy, but I'm having a blast figuring out what exactly it will be, and the music plays a big role in that.

#2833 Rockos

Rockos

Ness (+600)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationLa Sarre, QC, CA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

False.

I'm reading it everytime there is a newcomer. It's nice to see who's around.

Welcome to OCR my friend.

#2834 Selben Coirlo

Selben Coirlo

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

Ah, but if I hadn't said that you wouldn't have responded. :wink:

#2835 Rockos

Rockos

Ness (+600)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationLa Sarre, QC, CA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

Maybe But I still check.

#2836 Melbu Frahma

Melbu Frahma

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

I check once in a great while. :-P

Welcome, all!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2837 Lucid Eagle

Lucid Eagle

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

I have known of OC for some time, signed up since I'm a musician who from time to time plays around with game midi's. I don't plan on releasing any big projects as I work intuitively. Predetermined releases do not mix with this approach. Sometimes I may abandon a track for many years before returning. It all depends on what takes priority of attention. That aside, I will share the remixies that may come along

Been composing on FL studio for 10 years now, and use it in conjunction with mainly allot of Korg software and a keyboard, I like their gear! they have a global tuner so custom scales are made possible. I am mainly into eastern sounds and love writing and remixing tunes with non-contemporary scales in the genre of World Music: New Age / Orchestral Fantasy (like RPGs), Ethnic Beats, Down tempo, Chill Out...and New Wave Goa-Psychedelic Trance - Slower tempo within the cycles of natural circadian rhythms i.e. below 120bpm and not at the usual 140+ range. I fuse these various genres of interest as well

I do not use any compression or limiting filters when I master, I sometimes use EQ to create more head room I am a purist where timber dynamics are concerned.

I write music for pleasures sake and not for selling and making money tho I am open to donations... If a piece is good enough for OC I am happy have someone else do the mastering that may be desired if liked to be released and hosted here as an officially accepted remix.

being someone who experiences synaesthesia I am able to feel the inaudible tones more than most people and this is something I notice being lacking in modern music tho I didn't have frame of reference for this until I began to re-develope synaesthesia in the last 4 or 5 years (I recall it being the state of being I had as a child.)

I don't really play games any more but I still remember the musical scores from some of the early 8-32 bit generation.

If you know of any midi's which would fit into my tastes I would love to have them forwarded to me.

Some Titles which I am fond of as a reference (tho I didn't play all these games) to what I am looking for are

Alundra:
the lake shrine,
meia's dream,
Inoa Village (if some one has a midi or can transcribe it that would be ace)

Legend of Dragoon
Lunar 1 & 2.
Mystery of Mana

Some Sonic tunes still catch me today :) like lava reef, and the Chaotix tune from level one

So basically RPG tunes which Have an Erie mystic or fantastical sort of vibe like Alundra...
anything that compares with that game is great... thank you Koei Tanaka!

Peace

Edited by Lucid Eagle, 01 May 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#2838 PeaceofBert

PeaceofBert

King Hippo (+15)

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWashington US

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Howdy!

The name is Bert and lurking...I have done it. For quite some time now in fact...Anyways I'm here, and I'll be around...Peace!
Woof woof!

#2839 Rozovian

Rozovian

Workshop Moderator, Songs of Light and Darkness Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,000 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Welcome everyone. :D

I'm pretty sure no one actually reads these so I'll keep it brief. I've been writing music for a decade or so now, and recently came back from a long hiatus. I'm frustrated that I have few people to share my music with nowadays, so I registered here for the entirely selfish reason of finding an audience that might give me some feedback.

False indeed. I read them all the time, and other regulars do pop in from time to time to greet ppl, at least if they have something specific to reply to. In this case correcting you and inviting you to the remix board. (for originals/non-vgm-remixes, there's a second board, tho)

Invitation is open to everyone, so if you make music, let's hear it. :D

#2840 Selben Coirlo

Selben Coirlo

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Welcome everyone. :D

False indeed. I read them all the time, and other regulars do pop in from time to time to greet ppl, at least if they have something specific to reply to. In this case correcting you and inviting you to the remix board. (for originals/non-vgm-remixes, there's a second board, tho)

Invitation is open to everyone, so if you make music, let's hear it. :D

I've actually only finished one remix ever, maybe I'll post that there. It's kind of old. Mostly I've been working on original music intended for use in games :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums