OCR00810 - *YES* Ultima 6 'Gates of Creation'

djpretzel

Hi there, I've sent you two emails from my web based mail client, and I've recently noticed I haven't received responses from anyone I've sent emails to from it recently. So, I'm sending again from outlook to see if that's the problem. Could also be the U the emails started with ;) its been almost 3 weeks anyway, so sorry if you've receieved a mail from me twice already. Anyway, I'll stop waffling on now.

I'm a new ReMixer, and I'd like to submit a trance remix of the character creation screen music from Ultima VI :

I'm 19, from Perth, Western Australia, play bass guitar and some acoustic guitar, and I've just recently gotten into the synth mixing scene.

My remixing name is Potshot, or Sam "Potshot" Allen, whichever ;)

I'm currently doing the soundtrack for a half life mod called The Wastes, http://www.planethalflife.com/thewastes

and I'm doing some music for an upcoming ut2k3 zombies mod.

Does a good jub extending the short original out without being too annoying and repetative. Interesting textures on the lead synth - me likes. Yhe only thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was the dissonance near the end which didn't really seem to fit in. Oh yeah, and the drums could use a little more spunk. But I think it's postable.

Yes

Beautiful, soothing synths - Until about 0:55, then it falls apart due to the fact that the powerful main lead isn't even backuped by a powerful drumbeat. Just sounds too weak for my tastes. I like this mix too much to say no to - Nicely done for a new ReMixer. Great job mastering / panning / not using too much reverb.

YES

Sounds nice.

I'm not really having any problems with this mix except for the buzzy sample that showed up at 2:15, that kinda seemed out of place. The following buzzy sound sorta had the same effect, but it wasn't as bad.

Aside that I don't find it particularly exciting, I don't see any reason to hold this back. I mean, I don't find a lot of Dale North's stuff particularly exciting, doesn't mean it's bad stuff. ;)

Vote: Yes

You know what? I can't decide. I'm leaning towards no for the reasons given by Protricity. It'd REALLY help if I could hear how the original goes. The "minimalistic" styling of this song implies that it doesn't stray to far from the original. I need to compare and contrast...

Pretzel, if you could give me this nice gentleman's email addy or pass along the message yourself, I'd greatly appreciate it. Especially since this song is close to passing.

yeah I know this is locked. Yeah I know it got through, and now I'm kicking myself for not catching it earlier on. First of all, if you're going to be minimalistic, do it. Don't pretend to do it, then kill us with synths that make me want to run and hide under a rock (not in the good way that I usually mean that phrase...). There were moments in this song that I enjoyed. Like up until :57 it was enjoyable, then with the killing synths. Then from 2:00 til around 2:30 was decent again, and even then when the death synths came in they weren't so overbearing the second time around. But I guess all of this wouldn't bug me so much if the song weren't based on the same four bar chord progression repeated over and over again, and I guess if that's how the original went, there's only so much you can do with it, but I really didn't feel there was a whole lot of variety here.

Anyway, this is all moot since the song already got its four yeses, but I would have said, as per usual, NO, to this one, had I gotten in a bit earlier. Hell, I'll say it now, since it doesn't have any affect on the outcome:

NO

So there.

DC