*NO* Silent Hill 2 'Silent Oompa'

djpretzel

HI

I am submitting my first game remix to your site, it is a mish mash remix of the silent hill 2 track laura. please perservere with the track as the track changes tempo halfway through and the begining is no reflection of the full track, its done that way to take you on a journey.

I remix under the name electroretro and my website is at the bottom. I am based in the uk.

here is the track......

there are some nice surprises at the end. enjoy!

electroretro

"prepare to qualify,space cadet"

www.electroretro.com

electroretro

"prepare to qualify,space cadet"

www.electroretro.com

This is the type of ReMix I'd expect of Silent Hill 2. The first thing I notice is the mediocre bitrate. I really dig this mix so far, and those pianos are just amazingly well done - Then, what the hell, is that the Beastie Boys? Minus 10 points there D: Totally takes away from the mix. The nice ambient intro is nice, and what I've heard so far is great. It stays consistent quality - Well, until the end. That weird scream SFX keeps the listener occupied. I find it annoying, as I do the bitrate, and the Beastie Boys clip.

Fix those problems, and I'd gladly say yes.

Though, for now, NO.

As much as I hate to do it, I pretty much have to agree with DC13 on this one. Except that the screaming really doesn't keep my interest. It kind of makes me want to rip the headphones off my head and stare at the monitor in disgust. But other than that, this mix has some good points. I honestly didn't think that the Beastie Boys' clip made it awful, and at least it was kept within the rhythmic scheme of the song. But yeah, the quality could definitely be upped a few notches, considering the song is under 4 minutes anyway. At least to 128, and all of you purists with your "MUST BE AT LEAST ONE SIXTY IN ORDER TO SATISFY AURAL NEEDS" can cram it. But yeah, just up the quality... maybe tone down that awful screeching, and I think it'd be fine. But for now...

NO

DC

Pros

Great Feel

Cons

Listen closely to the piano. Hear the sustain/reverb? It cuts off after the loop point. The piano is a loop (or is made to sound as such).

So far I am still wondering if any of this song was actually sequenced or if its just a bunch of loops strung together.

Im guessing the violin and bells are sequenced because they dont sound like loops. I could be wrong, ofcourse.

What the HELL? was that umpa lumpa? WTF....

Hmm, I really hope the last 6 seconds redeem the rest of the song..... nope.

That scream sf is annoying.

Good job on the feel, but next time, try doing the melody yourself, kthx

No

-Pro

(64kbps isnt a problem as long as the song sounds good. I've made 64k songs sound good in the past, its possible.)

I didn't actually mind the song production wise. Everything sounded quite nice at the time I was listening to it (without headphones mind you). I think that this song would definitely be passable material IF and only IF those annoying samples were removed. I'm talking the Wonka and Beastie boy samples. That's just blatant copyright infringement - it may be ok for a DJ set, but this is a game remix site, which is supposed to house game remixes, not DJ wannabe exercises.

The piano was looped like that intentionally I believe because later on the reverb is allowed to carry on into the next sample. I think that part sounded fine, I sometimes to stuff like that, he didn't overdo it, so that's ok.

The scream is only tolerable the first time you hear it. Don't repeat it over and over. It's really annoying. Also, the scratching sample is played over like 3 or 4 times in a short period. Just use it once at the start and leave it be. I hate it when samples are used over and over, they sound good the first time but get old fast even on the second use.

So, anyway the vote is NO.

-Jive