OCR01622 - Final Fantasy VII "Hydrophone Breakdown"

djpretzel

this piece is a great example of dramatic contrasts in sound. desite being totally different the harsh edge to the drum work and synth bass, goes well with the electric piano and very legato trumpet.

the more i listen to this piece the more it grows on me...and hopefully other people feel the same way.

excellent work :D

the more i listen to this piece the more it grows on me...and hopefully other people feel the same way.

QFT

Always the sign of an excellent piece of music IMO. Pretty much agree with everything Hemo said. Favorite part has to be the acoustic guitar strumming though. Really lovin all of the variations and chord structures. Great stuff dude.

This is definately one of my favourites of what has been my favourite OCR compilation so far.

JJT is my favourite OC composer too anyway.

Once again it's refreshing to hear the acoustic guitar when it comes in sound like it could be someone sitting next to me playing it rather than super-human production creation.

JJT's music is great in that it is both explorative and challenging while being engaging at the same time.

Many complicated compositions often get too attached to being challenging to the point where they become endless dissonant hooks devoid of emotion.

This is not the case here.

Can't wait to hear what's next.

• 3 months later...

Wonderfully varied textures throughout, with a very excellent sense of space and a distinctly human touch. Trumpet playing as great, and the bass is nice. I like how how this could go to any number of new directions at any moment, and frequently does. The section with the solo trumpet and grungy synth was my favorite; I totally agree with the write-up that each instrument has a lot of character.

Cool mix, check it out guys. :-)

• 2 years later...

Sometimes I give out "sampler" discs of ReMixes to friends, and this is one I always include.

This is probably in my top ten of all OC ReMixes. I love the quiet, unassuming beginning that bursts into sound with the big, bombastic percussion. It's like Beckett007's Flashback ReMix, in that sense, and I really like that one too. The difference between Flashback "Memory Leak Suite" and this is that the arrangement here rocks. You never get bored, because there's always that shift from quiet moments to big percussion blasts, and a little jazzy noodling in between. Mad props to JigginJonT.

• 4 months later...

And we're back to the aggressive indie rock that Jon debuted for F-Zero. You can REALLY hear how his ability to work in this genre increased. He brought his A game for this one. The LFO on the bass sounded great. The mix of synthetic/reverses with the acoustic drums and rhodes/piano was VERY well done. This is the first song that Jon's drums really have a lot of meat behind them. The trumpet playing lends itself well to the indie style; i.e. throw everything in there but the kitchen sink! The piano is a thinner sound that what we've heard from Jon, but it works well in context. The guitar playing was solid as was the recording of it. He captured the sound well. I love the sonar pings in there. They really sounds great! When everything comes back in at the end, it really kicks hard. Great vibe, great sound, and excellent execution from Jon!!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Lots of things going on and lots of directions in sound being explored. It's hard to see the cohesive whole amongst the shifts in sound, but the mix is brilliant on a technical level.

The entire phase of the brass and organ was inspired and a clear highlight. Guitar and piano work also served towards the mix's high quality, I just wish the ideas and the interesting pairing of instruments were held together within a tighter overall construct.

Not sure I fully 'get' the sum of its parts after two listens, but the parts themselves are really cool.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01622 - Final Fantasy VII "Hydrophone Breakdown"