OCR01615 - Final Fantasy VII "Damn Those Turks!"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

This track would be perfect for the showdown in the game's sewers; I totally get the modern spaghetti western feel to the intro, and though it goes throughout the mix, I think it could have been even more prevalent. More slide guitar and stuff, please. Once the mix got going, the guitar lead was great; super dirty and nasty sounding. I like the concept of the vocals, but I think they should have been a little more present in the mix, with more of a high end to them. The ending was a bit anticlimactic, with the components breaking down, only to segue into the main riff and then fade away.

Overall though, a good mix. I think you should have gone a little further with the western motifs, but as is, still a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Heavily opinionated post ahead.. :)

Just listeining to this now, I definitely remember a lot of these riffs, they're memorable and sound good. But this is not one of my favourites from the project. The reason is that it doesn't come together as a whole for me.

The acoustic guitar lick in the beginning is a great figure, it's memorable and incredibly effective, it sets the mood instantly. The piano/guitar figure at 00:28-00:37 is very powerful, and only grows each time it's repeated. 00:55-01:30 is a fantastic variation/counterpoint to that part. I really like the wood-sounding percussion there.

Another poster lauded the gated synth + choir part. I on the contrary really really dislike it.. my problem is that it feels like it's from a different piece completely. As itself it's not bad at all, but combined with the other material it just doesn't mesh. There's no sense of continuity and any tension that might be there is totally ruined with the premature fadeout of the repetition of the killer guitar figure that follows. Gneh.

Some of my favourite parts of the VotL project are in this track, but it doesn't rank very high as a whole. This piece is soundtracky in a very bad sense - it tries to sound big when it doesn't need to: super-reverby industrial-like percussion doesn't fit in, neither does the choir bit nor the delayed piano.. Also, it's meandering and it messes up it's potential. At it's best it reminds me of I Want You (She's So Heavy) by The Beatles, at it's worst I just want to forget it.

Your mileage may vary. :)

--Eino

• 1 month later...

Guhhh, what the hell was that previous post about? I apologize and take that back. Embarrassing.

A fine track and now I feel it does work as a whole. I *do* still much prefere those guitar parts of the tune, but the piano and choir bit works very well. It's not meandering at all.. I still don't like the fade - I like the idea that's explained in the writeup, but the fade just feels premature.. maybe that's because I'd just like to hear more of that delicious guitar. :) I personally would like a reremix or something of this material, trimmed a bit and focused on the guitar portions with an "I Want You"-style approach, but that's just me, and the piece is good as it is.

--Eino

• 2 months later...

I can see why the Turk's theme would be so difficult to mix. I give Dan a ton of credit for what he's done with this track, it's quite impressive. The mood at the beginning is perfect, and really brings some flavor into the original. Much more badass, which is great.

I can't, however, fathom the gregorian chant. I read the write-up, and no one else really seems to have an issue with it, but I find it to be very random and out of place. I can't say it does it for me. The ending also is quite sudden, what with a nice introspective breakdown that leads back to the main riff, only to fade out very quickly.

I think the first half of the track is really great, but those two issues kinda kill it for me. Otherwise it's some impressive work with a difficult original.

• 1 month later...

Interesting almost western-like intro, and then bam the track hits you in the face. I don't think that the choir fits in all the well with the track as a whole, but overall the song sounds good. Perhaps the only real issue is that it seems like there are too many idea in this piece and because of time, not all of them are fully explored.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01615 - Final Fantasy VII "Damn Those Turks!"