OC ReMix Announces FF VII: Voices of the Lifestream Music Video Competition

djpretzel

wish someone would synch a particular VotL track up to this

Just to let you know, your request inspired me to take part in this (as it led me to some footage that swayed my decision on participating). I cannot say for sure whether that particular clip will be present in my production in its entirety or not, but I will say...we'll see.

I've finished my (first?) submission, and had a question regarding video quality. It's not specifically listed in the rules and I have not found any "common" bitrate dictated by other AMV contests (I've seen everything from no requirement to 3.3 Mbps). Obviously the logical answer is make the video quality as high as is reasonable, which leads me to my second question: where is a good place to host very high quality (100+ MB) videos, and do we have a limit on size?

The 100MB+ hosting question is the primary concern for me as my video comes to 120MB at default, and cutting it below 100MB (specifically for hosting on RapidShare) noticeably impacts the quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, first post here

I intend to participate in the Original category, i come from the french TrackMania video community and there are maybe one or two other people interested, but i would like to check a few rules :

-i understood that the video can't exceed the length of the track we choose, but can it be shorter ? I mean can we cut or invert some parts ?

-Can we add sound FX ?

-about the "no credits, trailers and bumpers" rule, i understand you don't want any personnal intros like major studios do at the beginning of their movies (20th century fox, Universal, etc...), But can we add some titles and or logos if they are part of the main video, like for example in these videos :

http://stage6.divx.com/user/BlackSharkfr/video/1775751/The-1K-Project-II

http://stage6.divx.com/user/BlackSharkfr/video/1817629/Vertigo-SD

The 100MB+ hosting question is the primary concern for me as my video comes to 120MB at default, and cutting it below 100MB (specifically for hosting on RapidShare) noticeably impacts the quality.

You can try Azureus' Vuze bittorrent service, which allows unlimited size publishing (any format)

http://www.vuze.com

or DivX's Stage6 if you want to allow in-browser viewing as well as download (but divx files only and their website is sometimes slow)

http://stage6.divx.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have a doubt about the sound format that you want in the AMV. We can compress the .wav file to .mp3 during the edition, or you want us to add the .wav file uncompressed into the video?

I'm saying this because, if we don't compress the audio, the AMV already starts with 40-50 MBs, and easily gets beyond 100 MBs. By the way, there's a size limit?

Finished my vid, it comes in at 304 Mb at 4 Minutes 29 Seconds... wonder which song I'm using Another Soundscape?

MPEG-2, 720 X 480, 29.97 fps, 9 Mbs, interlaced. Audio - Stereo 48 kHz, 16bit, 320 kbs, 4:29, 304 Mb

It is raw meaning footage and audio. I don't want someone snatchin' my stuff so I was wanting to put some credits either at the beginning or end (just like a music video off of Mtv or something) but I don't want to null my submission because I broke the golden 10th rule.

10.Do not include credits, bumpers, trailers, or other material in your video, only the actual submission content.
So what are the guidelines here? Is all that needs to be submitted is the raw video (just footage and audio)? No Credits/text whatsoever?

Also, what would be the best way to submit the large file? Youtube? Torrent? USPS?

Apresheemahtate it.

Thx Mattoco

Here is the low-quality version of my submission on youtube if anybody wants to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h0Zz-YsmGk

I was told that credits such as those I used at the beginning of my preview videos should be removed for the final video I submit. As to uploading large high quality files, a quick Google search reveals the following (with doubtless many more out there). I do not vouch for the validity of these services, as I have not used any of them myself. I'll probably go with QuickSharing (appears the most simple):

File Factory - 300mb (Free,Anonymous,deleted if not accessed for 7 days)

MiHD - 200mb (Free,Anonymous)

QuickSharing - 500mb (Free,Anonymous,deleted if not accessed for 30 days)

Up-File - 1000mb (Free,Anonymous)

As to the snatching of work, I'll probably leave the credited versions of the files on public viewing services (YouTube, Google, Stage6), whereas the direct link to the file itself will only be provided to the competition e-mail.

• 3 weeks later...

I take it this is closing up pretty soon, I'm just putting the final touches on my "Chasing the Storm" AMV, turned out pretty well I think.

Mine will be in in about 2-20 hours (depending if I get it in before sleep and class).

Any idea how many people have submitted so far?

EDIT: Alright, video finished off great, and I have finished submitting. JUST in the nick of time! Good luck to everyone who submitted!

A quick question... by Dec. 14, do you mean that the video needs to be in before said day, or before the end of it. Also, is it in a certain Time Zone that we need to be in by. I am 99% done, and I'm fighting with my MovieMaker on the final tweeks and should have it done before 3:00am Eastern(12:00am Pacific).

Is this acceptable?

"Winners will be announced before the end of the year, with the specific date dependent on the number of submissions received."

Any luck sticking a pin on which day that may be? It's been a couple days now, I'm excited to see the other entries and the winners among them too.

"Winners will be announced before the end of the year, with the specific date dependent on the number of submissions received."

Any luck sticking a pin on which day that may be? It's been a couple days now, I'm excited to see the other entries and the winners among them too.

Seconded. I hope we will be able to see all the entries that were submitted. I just can't wait :D

• 2 weeks later...

Getting down to the wire for a specific day to reveal the winners, guess it'll just be revealed when they're ready in the next two or three days or so. Unless the judging isn't finished in the posted time, anyone got any insider info on the progress so far?

Competition is looking pretty dang close!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't mean to be a stickler, but is this back in swing now? Kinda have us on our toes wondering what's happening with this after making all the videos.

We certainly are; it's looking exciting! I'll be mailing the entrants later today (waiting for one download-able copy I forgot to contact an entrant on, hopefully we get that today), but everyone's entries were received, and I've got them all. We should have winners and runner-ups announced in the next 2 weeks, which is hopefully a larger than needed estimate.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet, looking forward to the results! Will you guys be posting links to all the entries or just the winners? Would be cool to see all the videos that went into the competition.

Maybe we could do a torrent. I don't think we've addressed that possibility yet actually.

Just letting y'all know we're definitely 100% done with the judging of the entries! I'm hoping we can announce everything before the end of the weekend! I think that mostly depends on djp's schedule.