OCR01627 - Final Fantasy V "Wicked n' Floating"

djpretzel

AeroZ jag älskar dig ;)

One of my favorite remixers with one of my favorite remixes.

Great use of chiptune-sounds and an arrangement that's way above the bar for OCR, in this case liberal schmiberal. Some incredibly sweet synth textures, spastic drums and surprsing touches makes this an instant winner.

Sebastian shows that he's getting to the same level as Mazedude and Shnabubula, both masters of interesting, chiptune inspired arrangements. Now that's something.

and yeah, what DarkeSword said in his YES post, the PS part

If you ignore Yngwie, Sweden has produced some awesome grade-A nutter musicians. AeroZ just cannot be boring to listen to, he just can't. Theres ALWAYS something interesting happening. 10 seconds laters you'll be hearing totally different synths and patterns that still kick ass. Some of the sounds are a bit loud considering how raw they are, but they usually get filtered away in some way, so you don't notice it as much. I suppose it could get a bit overly-complicated, but that won't bother me for a good while.

Totally badass. Insane sound programming skill! I love hearing people go this far with attention to detail, it's always great fun to listen to and demonstrates nothing short of hard work.

I am unfamiliar with the source material, but I have a feeling I'd be let down by it anyway. This certainly does sound a lot like Shnabubula's stuff, with the trilltastic melodies, eclectic sound choices and aforementioned level of dexterity (infact he linked me to it.)

A diamond in the rough!

Chiptune's really aren't my personal style, and I tend to have a hard time getting into them. At least I did before I listened to this : )

Your effects are wild as hell, every time I felt like you were about to go overboard you brought it back into a constant groove. Sweet harmonies all throughout. Loved the call and response 1:26-1:33. The build up around 3:40 was particularly nice too. This is the first song I've liked enough to save to CD since TEEM.ROKIT sometime back. I definitely look forward to hearing more of your stuff in the future.

• 1 month later...

According to my last.fm stats this is my top listened song and for a lot of good reasons. Alongside Shnabubula AeroZ is my favourite remixer and I badly desire more music from him.

There's an overwhelming amount of stuff going on here in this mix but it stays safe from being overbearing. That's some organized chaos magic right here.

I love how AeroZ uses so simple, chiptunish sounds as the base of his music. I like chiptune sounds as they are, but the skillful processing and mixing makes them especially delicious.

My favourite parts of the remix: the lo-fi start with the beautiful arpeggios; the descending "icicle" chords at 01:33, so beautifully reverbed; the Megaman-style bass line part right after.. But really there's nothing extra or unneeded here, and you could name any of the parts, there's lots of goodies in there..

--Eino

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I love complex arrangements like this, and this is perhaps one of the best examples I've come to hear in all my years listening on the site. That's not to say it is the most complex, but I think its more productive than other tracks that are conceptually similar.

Of course the dealbreaker is whether things get overwhelming or not, and fortunately this mix completely steers clear of that by using simple sounds in clever and interesting ways. It's like a scrapbook full of ideas strung together with the utmost coherency.

In other words, it's freaking brilliant.

• 3 months later...

Intro has Seb all over it :). The chiptune synths with the pumpin drums are, as always fantastic. I especially like the time signature changes/syncopation. The production quality is top notch. It's got a great break-beat feel that really has me groovin'. The arrangement is wonderful and keeps the action moving. You really have a talent for that funky bass guitar sound. Just as rhythmic as a slap bas part without being slap bass. It acts almost as a counter melody line, but it's not intrusive at all. The dissonant breakdown section is also very unique to AeroZ's style. You certainly hear it in his previous mixes. Nice break down at the ending. Great work again!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Good to see someone put obvious work into an underrated source. A lot going on here and for good; big props for making everything flow together in arrangement, mixing, and sound design. The melody coming in at 1:53 was pretty sick and fit awesomely. Love when things get a bit darker at 3:34; the melody there is superb. Great mix.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01627 - Final Fantasy V "Wicked n' Floating"