OCR01726 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Aqueous Transgression'

Liontamer

He thinks he's cute trying to pull off the >6MB filesize. Yeah, nice try - LT

Remixer name: Audix

Game/song remixed: Chrono Trigger/Ocean Palace

Name of mix: Aqueous Transgression

Size of file is just over 6mb, at 6.07...hope this isn't a problem :P

I've always loved the Ocean Palace source tune, and felt that there was a lot of potential for development into an epic electro/orchestral/rock style, so I attempted to do just that with this mix. Little bit of self-indulgent keyboard soloage (sp?) at 3:15 for kicks, and the original sample makes a brief appearance as well.

Also, special thanks go to avaris for the title.

Thanks,

greg

---------------------------------------------------------------

We're gonna need a version under 6MB, foo. You whiteys always trying to cheat the system...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Undersea Palace" (ct-308.spc)

Solid enough opening. The beatkeeping percussion brought in at :16 felt a bit flimsy, and the synth guitar at :45 was pulled off well enough but could have been smoother. Good arrangement ideas there though for "Undersea Palace". Somewhat odd piano note choice at 1:03 at first listen; not quite sure on how well that worked.

1:27 moved into the chorus. Not sure how well the key change at 1:34 worked, but no big deal. Good bassline activity at 1:27, picking up at 1:41 into some real BGC-style stuff on that level.

Swanky change in the dynamics at 2:09 moving back into "Undersea Palace". Good guitar synth writing at 2:23, but then the key changed again at 2:38. The change there felt unexpected and broke the flow, IMO, but you end up acclimating as the track moves on.

Not sure what the pause from 3:44-3:47 was supposed to be other than grating. I would have extended the break a bit and had it nearly fade out before just as quickly fading back in and bouncing back strongly. Aside from the grating sounds there though, not a bad idea at all as is.

Despite a couple of bumps in the road where the execution felt odd on the first couple of listens, the energy was good, the arrangement was very interpretive, and the major majority of ideas were clicking effectively. Definitely does a great job with the source material; it's one of those arrangements that makes you want to listen to the original in order understand what the differences are. Good stuff, Greg. Definitely in the mold of zircon. Did one of his parents fool around or something?

YES

• 3 weeks later...

i'm still in love with that piano segue.

there is plenty of personalization going on here, while still keeping Ocean Palace at the heart of the arrangement. in that sense, this is textbook OCR. i also have respect for just about anyone who can write a decent bassline.

production does the job for me. i can hear everything i'm supposed to hear clearly enough.

blah blah blah, yes.

YES

I think this is pretty fantastic. Granted i'm only halfway through so far. Okay, my main criticism is that the dynamics are fairly flat. There's a ton of awesome stuff going on in the production and writing, but it's generally all at the same level after a certain point, such that it gets tiresome by the end. however, this is nothing to take it below the bar.

YES

holy hell, this is good.

the intro was not boring but it was not engaging either and i didn't know how i'd feel about the piece. then it got going and i was blown the fuck away. then i listened to the intro again knowing what came after it and the intro was fucking incredibly cool. nice. the instrument balance is fantastic; excellent choice, excellent phrasing. i don't like how distant the guitar sounds at times. very awkward in the soundfield but REALLY too insignificant to even warrant mention.

i don't even know why i'm still talking

YES