OCR00845 - Columns "Main Theme (Blue Square Mix)"

Ginnsu

Columns 'Main Theme (Blue Square Mix)'

Pitch bends galore! Rayza puts out some excellent work here with some awesome samples, and an absolutely lovely lead instrument. The way it bends, it almost sounds like a Treble Trombone, which would probably be a funny instrument to see. Fabulous work Rayza.

HOLY FREAKING CRAP CATCHY MELODY ALERT

What's with these tetris like games and good music? I have never played Columns but now I definitely want to. It's just a little repetitive, but that's actually what makes it so great, plus it's not repetitive in the way where it just loops some same part you've heard. Kinda like when you hear Frog's theme for a second time in Ailsean's Knights come marching home, there's just more stuff added to it and you want to hear it again.

I love this stuff

EDIT: What the heck. I just listened to the original. This remix is FAR superior to it. Someone should deremix this remix =) Make a chiptune outta it.

Aw man, I wanted to remix this! Ah well... I don't even have the equipment to anyway... Still, great remix. I've always been a fan of techno, and I think the Columns theme fits well in that category, even though it doesn't sound at all like a techno song in the game. Speaking of the game, Columns an extremely addictive puzzle game... It's probably the only game my parents loved.

Thanks all for the comments. I don't think I've had this many reviews on any of my songs. :) I thought a lot about how I'd do this mix and how I wanted it to turn out but its always a different end product. I like it, and I'm glad you all do too. Thanks again.

The sound byte was done by using Total Recorder and recording a minute or two of the demo when there was (luckily) no music playing, then just cut it out to a little clip.

• 7 months later...

Its pretty good...

I think the beginning sounds like youre wandering in part way through the remix though, no proper introduction.

Its also a little repetetive for my liking...I think that good as it is, it should have been shorter.

I do, however like the part where in game sound effects are used as precussion, I thought that adds a nice bit of flare to it and wish it was used more...

So all in all its pretty good.

Not mindblowingly amazing, but also not appalingly bad.

Nice work :nicework:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow...

I haven't heard this song in SO LONG. I was wondering if I would recognize it... in case it's not obvious, YES. I DO. Such an amazing theme...

On to the mix.

This isn't really as "refined" as it could be, but most of that is in the intro. Of course the intro isn't bad, but the snare is a lil muddy, and the bass sounds not so great on its own (same with the hat). When the pitch-bending synth comes in I was still not sure about what was going to be going on with this ReMix. As soon as that synth comes in at :30, I knew what this was going to be all about, though :D. Great use of absence of percussion, and the shuffling beat that comes in is perfect. Like the bass, the pitch-bending synth sounds just mediocre by itself, but it's perfect in the mix.

This could easily be modified into something much more hardcore/trance that you could dance to rather than just bob your head to, but that wouldn't necessarily be a change for the better, just a different version. This easily has more than enough appeal to compete with a Dance piece of the same type but slightly different. Phased gated strings are really nice to listen to :) and the sound effect actually sounds very professional and fitting. Piano is fine... could have been used in a more funkish aspect, but it doesn't really do much anyway, so the usage is fine.

Ending with the sound effect is a little bit off to me. I think it would have been a great simple delay-out, but this is a style choice that I can live with. Maybe delay on the sample itself would have been a good idea? It just sort of cuts off a little too quick, even though it does go slowly.

:D amazing mix altogether, though; the perfect use of techniques from other genres, but in a genre of its own (which I will define as "Dream Dance" temporarily).

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think Rayza did a good job on making the theme itself interesting. The gated synth is really nice, as is the sliding synth, but man, the source is boooring. :-(

The mix itself is decent enough, with a breezy house feel, and works very well as background music.

Some setbacks to it are that a few of the pitch bends travel into dissonant territory, and the track as a whole sounds like it's on autopilot; there isn't much progression as a song. You can skip to any section and it'll sound pretty much like another.

Good homework music, but it doesn't translate well to active listening, IMO.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00845 - Columns "Main Theme (Blue Square Mix)"