OCR00846 - Shenmue "Come to Bob's Pizza"

Ginnsu

Shenmue 'Come to Bob's Pizza'

Maybe its just me, and maybe my ears are out of tune, or maybe I just don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but the electric piano sounds off to me. Every once in a while you get a low note, and it just sounds out of place or like its an off note or something. Maybe that's the genre, and if that's so, I guess this isn't for me. Otherwise, the song is stellar, the beat is most excellent, and the vocals... WOW! That's all I can say about that. Definitely recommend that you try this one out, because chances are I don't know what I'm talking about. Excellent work, Dale North.

This is just fucking excellent. I love everything about it, especially the vocal part, even though it only it a couple of words. Never actually played this game or heard the soundtrack, but after hearing this, I might have to check it out. Great, great stuff Mr. North.

I really like this one, too! Maybe it is just the MP3 player I am using, but it does sound a little distorted to me (electric piano sounds), so maybe I'll try a different player (in a different OS even). But regardless, it is enjoyable. I agree that the vocals near the end make the song!

Edit: It WAS the MP3 player that was causing the distortion. iTunes in Mac OS X sucks! SoundApp works great, though.

The reverb should be decreased in volume I think, but this mix is very very relaxing, I love it. I could listen to this all day if I had the chance to. I kinda like the voices in the tune too, but it should be more repetitive, since it only appears twice near the end. Not bad though, this is still some really awesome work. And by the way, I'll be sure to check out Bob's Pizza. :wink:

Thanks for the compliments guys. Glad you liked.

But, there have been more technical comments on this mix than any other I've ever done! :)

Now for the 'reverb' bit. There's not much reverb at all- in fact its a pretty dry song effect wise. If you even put headphones on and listen to the vocals, they're pretty dry. Clean even. I think you're mistaking it for...

...the Panning Tremolo. Where the Electric Piano moves back and forth between the speakers. And I could see where that would annoy. Sorry 'bout that.

Distortion? No. Glad to hear it was your MP3 player. My studio monitors didn't reveal any distortion, so I knew something was up.

Voice 'sample'? No. Thats me on cheezy 3 part harmony.

Ginnsu. That note you were talking about is a 'pickup' note. The one inbetween chord movements. If you're not used to the style, it dosen't sound natural. But you're right, the note is off - but its intentional. Thanks for your kind words - glad you enjoyed.

RESPECT! SUCH A GOOD REMIX!!!!

I love your work, dude!

I already got the christmas remix of Nights and now this! I always loved the song in Shenmue, only got into the pizzeria because of Bob and the song! And now you made a remix!! Cool!

Unfortunately its so short....of course you would repeat it, but thats better than letting my winamp repeat it :)

could you make a second and third remix? perhaps with the original voices too? I love the english sound but the originals are the originals.. you understand :)

I'd love to hear more of that sound - more chilling and more poppy...I mean, I love the chill-out version, but Id also like to hear a pop-remix thats like the original, but enhanced..

would that be possible?

or more shenmue remixes?

ppppppppppppppplllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved this remix. I do remember the specific music of the game-I thought it was a sweet tune...but he's changed it into something much more different, and it sounds great-got a catchy beat on my subwoofer speaker. That's great though, I never thought anyone liked the bob's pizza music but me. (p.s. wasn't the shenmue game awesome?)

First of all, let me say that I am a fan of smooth jazz. That said, on with the review.

I never get tired of hearing Dale North's material. His talent for arranging good music into better music is astounding. This particular piece had me in the groove from the first note. That might be because it's a good note, it might be because I have a soft spot for electric piano. Either way, that first note got my attention and the layering in of other instruments (chimes, strings, etc.) held it.

And then you made me laugh.

Mr. North, what possessed you to sing "Come to Bob's Pizza" in the middle of a song? It fit nicely, but effectively shattered the mood.

But even after that, I found myself still in the groove. Even more surprisingly, I was still able to take the song seriously even after it turned into a jingle for a ficticious pizza joint.

Overall, a very good song. Get it.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I used to play this game JUST to hear this song!! You'd ALWAYS know where MY Ryu Hazuki was a 7pm ;p. And Remixed SO well!! In the traditional Dale North style in that the soul of the song is... well you could say, untouched. But it's also MAGNIFIED. DALE IS THE MAN!!

BTW the voice is out of the game... Though I always thought it was 'Thatsa' good pizza' but... Maybe Dale changed it, but he did a HELLA' good impression.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This song was brilliant. I never did get very far in Shenmue, I didn't even leave the first town, heh. So, I've no idea if I heard that little diddy in the game. But goodness gracious, this little creation was so well done, and I love that 'Come to Bob's Pizza!' bit at the end. I hadn't heard it before, but I laughed so hard when I heard it. Brilliant.

• 1 year later...

I have loved this mix from afar for too long.

It is time that I express my love in the time-honored tradition of writing a review. In this case, maybe I'll have pizza for lunch as well. :P

Great soundscape, the panning tremelo is a bit much on headphones, but sounds lovely on speakers. The instruments used are pretty classic Dale North, who shares my affinity with early-mid 90's pop, but adds a few surprises, most notably his excellent singing voice. The lyrics silly of course, but it adds some personality to an otherwise brief mix. The synth that comes in at the end is also great.

Overall this is a fun and classic mix. Check it out if you haven't already. :-)

oh man this brings back memories, very nostalgic for me, cause this was one of those track i would constantly loop for hours when i was in jhs. has that 90's feel haha for me that is. the piano and the bells go well together sounds like a christmas theme. i could definitely see myself chilling to this mix while gazing out onto the stars.

man they don't make mixes like these anymore, very special 9 out of 10, man i being completely bias xD

• 2 months later...

Ashamedly I must admit that despite being an avid Shenmue fan, when I was looking through the list of remixed Shenmue tracks, 'Bob's Pizzeria' and it's tune didn't immediately spring to my mind. So I downloaded the track to have a listen and see if I could remember which piece of music it was.

And then it all came flooding back to me! :D

This track is lovely, capturing the ambience perfectly and makes for great easy listening music. While not one of my favourite OCR tracks, it makes for very pleasant listening :D

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00846 - Shenmue "Come to Bob's Pizza"