OCR00864 - Chrono Cross "Time's New Scar"

DarkCecil13

I would kill fifteen men with my bare hands to get a copy of this sheet music. This is honestly my favorite song of...ever. Can anyone please upload a copy of the sheet music? I wouldn't ask, but all the other links in this topic are already down, so, yeah.

Do it, or fifteen innocent men will die. Do you want that on your conscience? I didn't think so.

• 1 month later...

*sigh* I've listened to this song for over two years. Through good times and bad. It's my most played on iTunes, it really is a beautiful piece.

And now, after years of work at honing my piano skills, I think I'm ready to give the sheet music a try. If anyone has the sheet music, I'd love them. I'm a huge fan of gutzalpus and all his music. It'd be awesome to be able to play this beautiful piece on piano myself.

sonicandfffan@gmail.com

scottpeters2006@hotmail.com

Please get in contact, I would love to be able to play this piece.

• 5 weeks later...

I love ocremix for songs like this. real, beautiful music that just happened to come from video games. I don't even play video games much anymore, but I love listening to the music on here. this is one of the best piano tracks on here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ouberion's Judgment

1. Initial Thoughts

The main reason I started arranging and orchestrating music, not to mention composing my own, was to follow exactly the same thought process that OverClocked follows: That of ensuring Video Game music is seen as something more than just another paycheck for someone. I remember having to do everything by piano, sitting back and playing Wave or MP3 files of music off the internet repeatedly to get all the notes I needed. Now, with the advent of places like the vgmusic.com archives, people in our position have a much wider array of resources.

But beyond that, the greatest thing people could have ever created in regards to Video Game music are the sheet music books. And thus, we come back to the reason I said everything above: Chrono Cross' sheet music book. It was the first of the many that adorn my shelves in my music workroom. And Time's Scar was the first piece I ever learned to play on the piano from ear, so seeing it on paper made it seem just that more emotional. I knew there would be a way to show my support for such great music. And here, this piano version of Time's Scar is so emotional, you don't need the visuals to go along with it.

2. Treatise

I told myself when I started listening to this piece that by seeing the words "A piano piece played by a live individual" that I would hold back from giving the "the pianist messed up here" or "that was the wrong note and chord" comments. I know how hard it is to perform something anyone has written, even if it is in the studio. Hard not being a description of technical difficulty, but rather a description of the attempt to recapture the original level of emotional attachment from when the composer/arranger was first writing the piece. Even a composer/arranger will play the same piece differently each time, even if only slightly.

I have no clue as to how this piece came about (sometimes I'll just have the melody, and play around underneath it with chordal progressions and other fun things to try) and how much of this may have been improvised on-site. But here goes.

The intro is executed very nicely. Not much is going on, obviously, but I do like the fact that the piano playing is what I like to describe as being "A la Pianist-isimmo". I see this piece as the normal "softly - powerful - softly" arrangement, but it works so well here that most people don't notice what's going on musically.

The central section, with the clashing notes, around the 2:00 mark, hits the mark exactly. I would have like to hear more of the lower notes, somewhere in the octave leading up to middle C. Keeping the bass where it's at, or even slightly more powerful (note, powerful...not louder) would help out. But when you couple the bass line with the clashing notes up high, I don't think those notes work just staying up high. A little centralization in that octave would tie the high with the low. Separating your hands by two to three octaves without saying "hey, there's still something here in between" is not something I normally do, so although it works here, it's just that I'm not used to it.

As to the syncopation in the second half of the piece, that's something I do quite often, even if it is in broken chords. It works great here, not so much because of how it is executed, but moreso how it connects two drastically different sections of the piece: the powerful clashing note section and melody to the ending of the piece. And what most people don't realize is that you can have soft syncopation. And that is exactly what is heard here.

3. Judgment

Staying away from the performance like I said I would, I give this piece a 9.5. I don't want to give it a ten, because there are some notes in there which could have been altered to make the piece better, although I would need to review the score itself to give specific definition to my statement. This would be a great "bonus" track to the Thieves of Fate soundtrack, even though it's from Chrono Cross and not Radical Dreamers. But I'll say this: If I were to ever compile a Chrono Cross album for OCRemix, this track would definitely make the list.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't recognize the remixer at all, but what a really nice rendition of the theme. The ending is a little anti-climactic, but the tone and performance is very nuanced, and the transitions between sections are seamless and accomplished. Nice balance between hands and chords and arpeggios, and the brief original interlude was very well done. Really pleasant work, I enjoyed it a lot. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00864 - Chrono Cross "Time's New Scar"