OCR00871 - Chrono Trigger "Lesser Kerubic Patchwork"

Ginnsu

Schala´s theme, a lovely bell melody full harmony with spreads joy to ebulibody. So naturally you think the same about this, until you reach 0:15, WHOA! Maybe it wasn´t very calm. It does actually get a little calm after awhile, releasing it´s soft and chill arabish style that makes you shake along the drum rhytm.

Nice man, I give you 5 of 5 camels for this one. Deal?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Some of the string leads sounded just slightly out of tune, but this was a really creative and well done mix. I thought the breakbeats were cool and further emphasized that this is a whole new way of listening to Schala.

Some of the horn rips seemed a little random, but overall I was really feeling this one. One of the early tracks that really broke new ground, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Now this, unlike its greater patchwork cousin, is amazing. The intro reminds me of wandering through some hazy, darkened opium den. Shapes only half recognizable in the shadows and giant Arabic pillows, darkened by the accumulative years of smoke, used for seating around giant hookas. And THEN some idiot goes and ticks off the surly proprietor of the establishment, and a fight scene riminiscent of the elevator lobby sceen in The Maxtrix, except translated into 12th century Persia, ensues. Then those not involved go back to their Lucys in the skies with the diamonds.

I like "Greater Alchemic Patchwork" but this one seems to have a lot more energy and inspiration behind it. I don't think it's just cause it's more accessible either, because I've heard both plenty of times (enough for that to be much less of an issue). The ideas seem to cohere a lot better and have more of what I call potential energy behind them - one kind of falls into the next, like each was meant to be there. It's takes great compositional skill to make things that wouldn't seem to fit at all fit together perfectly. And that's exactly what he does here.

The production is about the same as "Greater Alchemic" but I think it becomes less of a bother because there's just more going on. I would've liked to hear less relying on drumloops cause it's very obvious that Israfel is capable of much more interesting percussion, but I get the impression that using drumloops was kind of deliberate here.

Great stuff overall. I really wish Israfel was still involved with the community.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00871 - Chrono Trigger "Lesser Kerubic Patchwork"