OCR00876 - Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind "Island of Edges"

DarkCecil13

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 'Island of Edges'

Having never played any version of Morrowind, chances are I haven't heard the original to this. Well, listen time... The Wingless starts this mix out with some cool ambiance with bells. Soon, strings and piano fade into place. At about 0:49, it then all fades out. I really didn't like how it's silent for a full 5 seconds for it all fades back in at 0:54, but with a beautiful flute and guitar. This sort of arrangement builds up upon itself, and it's just stunningly beautiful. Even if you haven't ever even played Morrowind, this ReMix IS for you. It's just soooo beautiful. My favorite by The Wingless thus far.

This is beautiful. I haven't actually played Morrowind, but my brother got it and I watched him play a while. It's got real nice music that repeats a lot. I can't say if I heard this before, but it sounds familiar. The samples used in this mix are quality throughout, the pauses in the music are used to great affect, and the ambience sounds used are awesome. I love the bells in the beginning and the rain samples at 2:30; they just totally transport me into the world of Morrowind. Music and games that can do that to me are awesome in my book. Super stuff. Download if you enjoy music.

Ok kiddies....

:arrow:8O This, is a dramatic understatement.

Right now, I'm gonna be under the assumption, most of you HAVEN'T played this game. That's your first mistake. This game is a graphical and musical masterpiece, and it's so indepth it'll keep you busy for literally a good few monthes if you tried to do ALL the quests. BUt this isn't a review of the game. This is a review of this song. A remix of the main theme. Which is already, by itself, one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and the exact reason I played the game for more then 10 minutes. This song is AMAZING.

AMAZING SONG.

BEAUTIFUL

DL IT

DL IT

NOW!

the end

To express my opinion on this remix would just be to reiterate the opinion of everybody who posted on this thread before me. I would just like to express my total agreement on Wingless's sentiments:

"I hated the fact that such a large game has the same damn tracks looping ad nauseum, and none of it is context sensitive..."

What the hell were they(the makers of Morrowind) thinking?

I played Morrowing for close to 500 hours. I loved it. I stole every piece of armor I could find, I trained every skill I could, just to level up and become uber. In fact, beating the game was kind of anticlimactic it was so easy.

So I heard this song more times than I've heard my own name. I don't think this rearrangement does justice to the feelings the gameplay would evoke in me, though. Having a city come into view on a crisp dawn, I liked the brazen sound. I want trumpets and drums instead of winds and subtlety.

But that's just me. I think this remix was well executed it just took a different direction than I would have hoped :) Good job none-the-less.

"I hated the fact that such a large game has the same damn tracks looping ad nauseum, and none of it is context sensitive..."

What the hell were they(the makers of Morrowind) thinking?

I'm not really sure myself. I know Jeremy Soule (Secret of Evermore, Icewind Dale II, etc) was assigned to compose all of the tracks for orchestra, which he did very nicely. Why there were no area themes or event themes, who knows?

And *stop* crediting it as an XBOX game! It's a PC game ported to the XBOX to satisfy those console freaks who don't have powerful enough PCs. =P

I really must repeat what has already been said above... if you haven't played this game... PLAY IT!!! It is awesome super-ness. The game is so completely open-ended, you can kill whoever you want whenever ( that's if you're skilled enough not to get killed first =p ), you can progress through the game as a theif, a robber, a mage, a glory-seeking warrior, and so many other possible ways. Any item you see onscreen, you can pick up and use, be it mushrooms & moss in a field or the weapons lying around in a amoury shop ( though that would be called theft =p ). Huge game world, so detailed, you don't even have to follow the main quest if you don't want to... GET IT ALREADY!!!

^^

For the most part, I believe that this is an excellent remix, featuring a collage of different instruments that are put together nicely. It gets kinda weird at someparts, where there is a good 5 second pause, but over all the sound and feel of the music does justice to the actual game. Having played morrowind on both pc and xbox, I found that both had their strong points. Since this is a review of the song, I won't go into the actual gaming aspect of it.

• 3 months later...

:D

very well done, for those of you who havent played morrowind, this is the main theme. it's very nice and sounds a bit like the chrono cross style of music. another thing, dont get the X-BOX version of morrowind if you got a good computer, the PC version is far superior IF you have a really good video card, processor and its stuffed with RAM. i built a new comp just to play morrowind, its really good!

• 2 months later...

im very glad someone did a remix for this song. morrowind was my most favorite game of all time and got pretty connected to it for a quarter of a year. its a very well done rpg, so of course i got connected to the music, i whistled that song wherever i went. you did a very nice job with the remix

:twisted: TMB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is just what i was looking for. I have the PC version and i often replace the soundtrack (they used mp3s so its easy to overwrite what they had) I added this in so it plays ingame. This was the perfect piece to round out my "morrowind mix" (PS i have "highway to the danger zone" as my battle music, its awesome!)

If you are going to get this game, get the PC version. There are so many mods that it takes at least double the normal time to beat if you have a few of the better mods in there.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely beautiful. This song is so much more pleasing than the original, which (looking back at it) is kind of boring and stiff. Every second is peaceful and evokes feelings of adventure and wonder. The thunder at 2'28 is a nice touch, and the music comes back in flawlessly. At 3'10 after the short pause this gets almost too gracefully perfect to stand! :cry: I just hope The Wingless will make more Morrowind remixes... AWESOME work! Without question this is my favorite remix on the site. Heck, it's my favorite remix PERIOD. I know it's lame to give scores higher than the max, but I have to. infinite/10

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

i think this is one of the most beautiful remixes ive ever heard, this is such a beatiful song, and so is the original, i play piana, and i jsut went and figured it out on the piano, it sounds really nice.

wow its awsome.. yea i love video game music.

hmm i cant seem to download it though, would someone please message me or w/e and tell me whats wrong? cause i click on one of the mirrors or whatever they are, and it brings me to a website where a quicktime player comes up and plays the song, theres not even anything else on the site.. :(

alright thanks.

• 8 months later...

Try now, Lidless. If that doesn't work, try updating your quicktime.

I agree, this is a beautiful tune and one of the only songs on OCRemix that I downloaded and liked before hearing the original. I'm playing through Morrowind now (I'm a bit behind on the PC titles, but since I picked up a used Xbox last year, I'm getting through them) alongside Twilight Princess and FFXII.

I disagree with the 3:35 comments about chords not working. Personally I like the dissodance of that piece, and despite listening to it over and over, can't actually see anything technically wrong with that section.

• 1 year later...

This is an awesome remix. Change over for the main instrument is nice. I wish the original had done something similar. After a few hours of play the 1 song + 1 battle music gets annoying. Though I still managed to fall into the game's spell and waste days of my life. I'm really surprised so many people havent played this game. Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion were all cutting edge ideas and graphics.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00876 - Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind "Island of Edges"