*NO* Rush'n Attack 'Symphony'

djpretzel

Hey man

I know that my curent music peaces have passed, but I hope u will enjoy this one.

I have posted a simmilar remix to you before, but in midi.. This time I have

done my best, and remade it in reason, and the result is a real Orchestral version

of the stage one music of Rush n' Attack for nes. I would be wery happy

if this remake passes..

I hope u like it :)

//xanax

xanax

zanaku@post.netlink.se

Nice to see some non technosh1ts on the judges board for a change.

The quality of the string patches used here really takes away from the

effectiveness of the mix, also with the choir. It really bothers me to say

NO to a nice arrangement that someone has obviously spent time doing

and done technically rather well, but just doesn't have the experience or

equipment to have the instruments sound good. I'm going to say YES

to this one because I think it's a nice, if not repeditive arrangement. The

instruments are definatly a big con, but given how forgiving the general

audience of OCR tends to be, and the lack of this style of music on the site

I belive it is acceptable.

It really bothers me to say

NO to a nice arrangement that someone has obviously spent time doing

and done technically rather well, but just doesn't have the experience or

equipment to have the instruments sound good.

Now if it's a matter of equipment or instruments, I can understand (to a degree, though not as much any more since there are multitudes of free soundfonts available to the public (I remember setting getright to download bundles of them back in my 56k days)), lack of experience, as far as I'm concerned IS a good reason to hold it back. If the song lacks experience, and because of that, is poor, (yes, I realize "poor" is subjective) then I honestly don't think it should pass. This isn't "Feelgoodaboutyourself ReMix," it's OverClocked, and it's known for a certain level of kickassedness. Need more experience? Try WIP. Actually, I wouldn't even do that. I'd actually ask someone whose musical advice you trust, since I don't know about what kind of help you're going to get trying the WIP forum. Maybe I'll go crush some hopes and dreams in there one day. But my point is, I think lack of experience in music SHOULD be a qualifier, if it shows. I'm not saying if he doesn't have a mix up yet, he shouldn't have his mix posted, because then NO one new could ever have a remix on the site (hell, I never would have had a mix up here), but if he needs more practice, I don't think a "go easy on the first timers" attitude is really what's necessary for this panel.

In short:

No instruments? Try your damnedest to get some, and ask around, but if not possible, it's not the end of the world, I think most people understand being in that position.

No musical experience? Not a problem as long as it doesn't show. But I'll give you a hint. Experience doesn't come from having a song posted. It comes from honing your craft and continually practicing at it.

So, while I agree with your "no quality instruments" statement, I don't agree with your "no experience" statement.

That being said, I need to listen to this song, so I can see what you're talking about. I'll vote shortly.

DC

Pros

Nice arranging abilities. I actually like that bass, It sounds like synth, but it could be a tuba. I dont know. All I know is that I like how it sounds :D

Cons

Repetitive

Short

Ending could have been more interesting.

I would like to see this more expressive and less repetitive .. and LONGER. Very nice work, just do more, that is all.

NO

Wow. I love the sound of everything pretty much. Though, the percussion sounds too dry as compared to everything else. Apply some panning delay to the percussion. I agree that the bass sounds really superrad, too ^^ The choir really sounds out of place in comparison to everything else. The major I really have brings me back to the percussion - When compared to the other orchestral elements, it sounds completely left out. Work on that, and I would definitely consider voting YES on it.

NO

Remember that while the arrangement is VERY important, if it was all that was important we'd be hosting MIDI files ala vgmusic.com. Not to knock what they've got going, as it's totally worthwhile, but I view the distinction between that and OCR being that not only is the arrangement of high quality, but the mixing and sounds are something you couldn't do with a soundblaster 16 and mediocre GM soundset.

I know it's hard to recognize great work in one arena (arranging) and still have to say no because of shortcomings in another, but it's definitely a two-criteria ballgame.

• 2 weeks later...