OCR01660 - Marathon "The Forerunner Mix (Beta)"

djpretzel

Part two of The Forerunner Mix takes a more laid back approach. Still keeping that distinct cinematic nature of the first piece (and sharing some of the sounds) it focuses on some very lush pads. Pizzicato strings nicely complements the electronic soundscape and adds to the sparse but enjoyable groove. As with the first part, the production is really ace. Especially when played on a hi-fi system or a home stereo with over-hyped bass to really appreciate all that harmonic material in the pads.

I must admit, I have the same issue with this mix as the first part. While it is terrific when you look at it as a soundtrack or background music it might not be the most interesting piece when played by itself. Very atmospheric and ambient but missing a 'hook' or some kind of climax.

Very good mix though, I'm certain Nick Singer will be scoring video games in no time. :)

Wow, most impressive. I enjoyed "Alpha" greatly, but this one is actually the better of the two, in my opinion. I have always felt that ambient music in videogames is greatly underrated (Riven being the ultimate example, of course), and this mix manages to capture the feel of the original songs while still giving off that strong atmospheric vibe - almost an Oxygene feeling to the first thirty seconds, actually. While I am only slightly familiar with Marathon's music (what little there is of it, anyway), your interpretation of "Under Cover of Night" (my all-time favorite Halo theme) is truly flawless, something that will undoubtedly find its way onto a number of my regular playlists.

If I had to choose a highlight, I would say the best part of the song is the brief section from 2:01 to the end, when the strings come in over the "Under Cover of Night" theme. Truly priceless; that part alone boosts it above "Forerunner Mix (Alpha)", although only by a slight margin. Excellent job; this one rates up there with any of the "official" remixes of the song ("Dream Again" being the best thus far, in my opinion). Please keep making these; we need more material like this!

Part two of The Forerunner Mix takes a more laid back approach. Still keeping that distinct cinematic nature of the first piece (and sharing some of the sounds) it focuses on some very lush pads. Pizzicato strings nicely complements the electronic soundscape and adds to the sparse but enjoyable groove. As with the first part, the production is really ace. Especially when played on a hi-fi system or a home stereo with over-hyped bass to really appreciate all that harmonic material in the pads.

I must admit, I have the same issue with this mix as the first part. While it is terrific when you look at it as a soundtrack or background music it might not be the most interesting piece when played by itself. Very atmospheric and ambient but missing a 'hook' or some kind of climax.

Very good mix though, I'm certain Nick Singer will be scoring video games in no time. :)

Couldn't have said it better. Good mix, but a little more "MMPH!" would have made it great. :) I did enjoy it, nonetheless. Excellent quality.

Mmm, this is nice. I definately like this one better than the Alpha mix, but both are still great. Halo's theme is a bit more noticable in this one, and to be honest, not knowing Marathon's music, I can't hear where another theme would be, but that's probably just my ears leaning towards what I know.

Great job with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely, I never listened to this mix until today, though I've probably played through the Alpha mix about a dozen times since I first heard it. Both of these tracks are so lush and well-crafted. Nick's sense of sound design is astonishing; you get the feeling that every detail sounds exactly as he intended it to sound. Wonderful stuff, and I really hope to see more from Nick.

It's not often I notice well programmed velocities on pizzicato strings, but the first thing that came to mind on this mix was just that. :-)

The pads are a lot more present in Beat as opposed to Alpha, and it's feeling is a lot more synthetic as a result, and there's a very cool progression when both are listened to back to back. Of the two mixes, I think I prefer Alpha, but both are very strong and set excellent moods.

i suppose a lot of my sentiments on the alpha mix would be echoed in here, but I also want to add that I like your percussion writing. Once again, very lacking in the clear melodic content department but that's not a bad thing. You say you want to break into the video game industry, and this is a great style to be writing in nowadays. Excellent, can't wait to hear more.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
it says something about marathon and halo's relationship- i.e. the idea of a pre-existing but extinct structure providing a framework for a new generation to adapt and build on, much like the forerunners and covenant/phfor themselves."

I really like how Nick phrases this, and it seems appropriate.

The mix really reminds me of like the music of a presentation at a planetarium i.e. something that represent the majesty, mystery, and awe of outer space.

Like Alpha, I've listened to Beta versus Under Cover of Night.

One can tell that Under Cover of Night was meant to be ambient background music, but it didn't quite make it. Beta astoundingly perfects what Under Cover of Night should have been.

In my opinion, Alpha and Beta are better than the Halo soundtrack . As in, Alpha and Beta are what should have been in the Halo soundtrack.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This would probably make more sense if you heard the Alpha track before this one, especially since they were both submitted at the same time and follow the exact way of interpreting the relationship between Marathon and Halo.

And indeed it follows the atmosphere quite like the Alpha one, with the acoustic bass providing the Marathon source melody and the sweeping strings providing the motifs from the Halo source doing really well to fit Nick's 'enhanced vision' soundscape ridiculously well. It may be seen as ridiculously brief, but for two games from the same developer to come into such an artistic vision in this way complete with very well panned sweeping strings and great atmospheric separation, I feel very understanding about the artistic integrity brought into it.

This might split some people due to the ambient nature and/or the sheer length, but if you've got the time, then one should look up the sources beforehand and then hear the mix to purely understand its complex. It may require some thought to understand it, but once you do it makes for a very pretty listen :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01660 - Marathon "The Forerunner Mix (Beta)"