PDA

View Full Version : OCRA-0009 - Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream

Pages : 1 [2] 3

The Pezman
09-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Fading Entity:

It's the steady beat again that I don't really care for. Really on songs like this it's just my own preference and not anything to do with the quality of the song itself.
I just wish they'd stuck to one time signature at a time.

joe_cam
09-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Hahahaha. Darangen made a cumshot too!
Chocobo theme... 13 seconds in or so.
thanks GT.

Citan
09-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I really liked how the project turned out, it was definitely worth the wait. Personally, I think disc 1 was the best out of the four. What it did with the Midgar related themes was really amazing... You really felt the music take you to Midgar. Lunatic Moon was another high point of CD 1 for me, I can't seem to get enough of that one. The other CD's had their moments, but I really enjoyed pretty much every minute of CD 1.

One thing, though... Where's the love for Yuffie and Wutai? :sad:

furymaster
09-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I can't tell you how good it was to see that this was up. I've been on a search for a few good new songs and I get bombarded with 4 CDs worth of some of the best damn Remixes ever.

I've been studying for a major test that I have coming up and I keep playing this mix over and over to help me work through some of the stuff I have to fill in.

I don't think there was any song on here that I didn't like. Everything was very well done and I've been looking forward to a fantastic batch of FFVII remixes and low and behold it just kind of sprung up on me.

Kudos, congrats, and you all never cease to amaze! Keep up the fantastic masterpieces!

NOIZROCX
09-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Simply put. Excellent.

I have been frequenting OCR since 2002 as I mentioned in another thread. I must say, I was very impressed by the tracks I never expected to hear remixed in my life. Sometimes you hear a game track, when you play it and think "I don't know if there would be any other way to hear this track". But yet again, OCR has proved me wrong :)

I definately dig the remix of "Birth of a God," "Beginning of the End" by bLiNd. I never expected to hear a remix of that track. And bLiNd really pulled it off to the point where I got a chill down my spine, not only because of how well it was remixed, but also that part of FF7 i remember very clearly and was essentially one of my favorite battles in the game (despite how wretchedly easy it was).

Xaleph took me by surprise with "Son of Chance". The remix itself, took the "Shinra Company" theme to a whole new level. I felt a more sinister feel to the theme than originally. Rufus was a punk, but damn, Xaleph can make Rufus feel more evil than Kefka.

"JENOVA Celestial" was another remix that just makes you smile (well me anyways :razz:). Granted I have heard many "J-E-N-O-V-A" remixes, this one sticks out. If you've ever wondered why the characters "dance" when they are waiting in battle....idly for their next command, bLiNd is the reason behind that. Especially when kicking J-E-N-O-V-A's lame face in.

I don't even know how to describe "Black Wing Metamorphasis" other than. All the collaborative remixers (bLiNd, Fishy, pixietricks, Sixto Sounds, Steffan Andrews, Suzumebachi, tefnek) just took "One-Winged Angel" to a level of awesomeness I didn't expect. I think Sephiroth is a lamo but, you made him a serious bada** in my book. The feeling of "Trans Siberian Orchestra" meets "Tetris" crosses my mind when I hear the transition from the 8-bit into the instrumental segment. Simply AMAZING.

The entire album itself is AMAZING, those are just a few that stuck out in my mind. :)

Benjamin Briggs
09-16-2007, 09:25 AM
holy crap what happened to only releasing a few collab project mixes at a time

I will probably check this out when I don't feel too overwhelmed by the prospect of having to listen to 40 billion songs at once... all on the front page

anosou
09-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Also I agree ENTIRELY with what Pixietricks said about Another Soundscape. Too Much Fighting is just friggin' awesome. And so is Golden Feathers, it went from super happy techno to soft relaxing sitar strumming goodness, and it did it well.

Thank you very much for your kind words :)

prophetik music
09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
i like that they've already transferred 23 terabytes of this. which comes out to around 10,000 copies already downloaded, or more if there's incompletes in there.

Villainelle
09-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Alternate cover art

Hi. I did alternate covers for this album, because it is jawesome. They are below. They are 24-bit PNGs of several MB.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs20/300W/f/2007/259/d/6/FFVII__VotL_alt_cover_by_leahzero.png (http://leahzero.deviantart.com/art/FFVII-VotL-alt-cover-65033461)
Front.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs19/300W/f/2007/259/5/4/FFVII__VotL_alt_cover___back_by_leahzero.png (http://leahzero.deviantart.com/art/FFVII-VotL-alt-cover-back-65067002)
Back.

Staff: feel free to add these to the official VotL site, with a link to my deviantart page. Rock on.

Shadow Wolf
09-16-2007, 03:55 PM
There aren't enough different words for amazing to describe this album. I've downloaded every shred of music this site has posted since 2002, and this album is the finest example of remixing I have ever heard. I haven't finished it yet, but I have not found a SINGLE thing to complain about in 29 tracks.

Furthermore, I still have nightmares and hallucinations about raising Golden Chocobos, and laughing men in black tophats, and the Chocobo song has been known to spur me to spontaneous manslaughter. The fact that it is entirely awesome is perhaps the greatest testament to the amazing job you guys have done. So, uh... thanks again Darangen, you had a chance to ruin the album and you didn't. Good job.

But really. Amazing, flat out, top to bottom.

Thin Crust
09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
There aren't enough different words for amazing to describe this album. I've downloaded every shred of music this site has posted since 2002, and this album is the finest example of remixing I have ever heard. I haven't finished it yet, but I have not found a SINGLE thing to complain about in 29 tracks.

Furthermore, I still have nightmares and hallucinations about raising Golden Chocobos, and laughing men in black tophats, and the Chocobo song has been known to spur me to spontaneous manslaughter. The fact that it is entirely awesome is perhaps the greatest testament to the amazing job you guys have done. So, uh... thanks again Darangen, you had a chance to ruin the album and you didn't. Good job.

But really. Amazing, flat out, top to bottom.

Who's the man in the black tophat?

Gilrad
09-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Awesomeness. The only question remains is, is it possible to hack these tracks into the game? :D

I can't remember if it used nothing but compressed audio, or if there was some sequenced audio in there... (The latter would make the project more difficult if not impossible to do completely).

Thin Crust
09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
No, while he was invited and completed several WIPS, I was unable to get final, tweaked WAVs from him.

You could have just gotten them from his site. Here's one. It's "Still More Fighting." And it's one of the best remixes I have ever heard.
http://www.reubenkee.com/music/remixes/Still%20More%20Sexy%20Fighting.mp3

Feel free to edit this post if I have broken any rules.

Kanthos
09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
You could have just gotten them from his site. Here's one. It's "Still More Fighting." And it's one of the best remixes I have ever heard.
http://www.reubenkee.com/music/remixes/Still%20More%20Sexy%20Fighting.mp3

Feel free to edit this post if I have broken any rules.

Stuff someone posts on his personal site doesn't mean it's produced and mixed up to project quality. Reuben likely posted his contest entry from the competition zircon held early this year, which while good for a contest entry probably needed just a bit more work to make it project-worthy.

Also, downloading tracks from someone's site and including them in your project without permission is a bad idea :)

zircon
09-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Correct... he did have an MP3 version, but not only is that not 44.1/16 WAV (required), I did not feel that what he submitted to the contest was up to project standards. I gave a list of things he could do to improve, and he was working on them - with Sixto's help - but he basically dropped out of communication. I never got a version that addressed my full list of critiques, in MP3 OR WAV. Maybe he felt that it was not worth it to revise his track to that degree. That's fine with me, of course.

For the record, I asked a LOT of people to do extensive revisions to their tracks. Reuben was certainly not the only one. For example, I can't even count how many times I had Another Soundscape go back to "Golden Feathers". ;)

Thin Crust
09-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Stuff someone posts on his personal site doesn't mean it's produced and mixed up to project quality. Reuben likely posted his contest entry from the competition zircon held early this year, which while good for a contest entry probably needed just a bit more work to make it project-worthy.

Also, downloading tracks from someone's site and including them in your project without permission is a bad idea :)

Judging from what he said in the VotL thread, this is the track he was working on for this project. He said that it was "still more fighting" james bond style. I think it's the same one. Plus, I saw it on the wip boards months ago and it never went into the Judges panel. Just confused on why he never submitted it to ocr in any form whatsoever.

Villainelle
09-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Sorry if it's already been covered somewhere, but where did you guys get the idea to use the quote from Yoshinori Kitase for the vocoder bit in Adrenalyne Kyck? It flows oh so well in the song, it's chilling. (Also, why Y's? You bunch of womyn.)

Steffan Andrews
09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I can't even count how many times I had Another Soundscape go back to "Golden Feathers". ;)

We dub thee, Another Revision. :tomatoface:

zircon
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry if it's already been covered somewhere, but where did you guys get the idea to use the quote from Yoshinori Kitase for the vocoder bit in Adrenalyne Kyck? It flows oh so well in the song, it's chilling. (Also, why Y's? You bunch of womyn.)

The quote was Larry's idea; he loves Wikipedia and whenever he can't think of something, that's the first place he goes. Works well, right? The Ys were suggested by TO.

anosou
09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
For example, I can't even count how many times I had Another Soundscape go back to "Golden Feathers". ;)

Hahahaha yeah, that was MANY revisions :D
But hell, it was also my first remix with a computer ever ;)

Iron Cross
09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm having issues with downloading the torrent file.
Trying with both Azureus and kTorrent, I get errors with it, Azureus stating the torrent is not a file and kTorrent saying it is corrupt.

I've also tried the download on SoundTempest, but no go with that one, either.

I've been trying yesterday and today both, but no luck. Any insight on this?

mananetwork
09-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Awesome release guys, really brings me back! A thumbs up to you all.

One of my favorite remixer's bLiNd remixed my favorite FF7 song, JENOVA .. LOVE IT!

SamuraiFoochs #Reload
09-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I just listened to the whole thing, and sweet lord, this is something akin to sex on toast. FANTASTIC work. Epic epic epic. Runs the gamut of musical styles, yet still feels cohesive, and takes an OST that I've always been lukewarm about if I'm being truthful (sacrelige, I know) and totally changes my perceptions.

Hats off to every single person involved in this project.

Sometimes typos are hilarious! Also, sometime I'll go through and review each track individually, but for now, I'm gonna bask in the afterglow of this aurgasm (see what I did there? =P)

anosou
09-16-2007, 08:19 PM
We dub thee, Another Revision. :tomatoface:

D=!!!!!!!! You make me a sad panda!

Groovemaster303
09-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Respect to each and everyone of you who contributed to this project.
The time and effort put into this really shows.
Simply superb.

Traveler
09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
<<This is a repost of something I posted in the General Conversation forum. I'm just duplicating it here so it's in a more appropriate place. If you perchance already read it on the first forum, just ignore it and please don't get annoyed>>

I just downloaded "Voices of the Lifestream" and I am truly amazed. Stuff like this is the reason I keep coming back to ocremix.org time and time again and I totally flip out any time I have the opportunity to reccomend this site to friends in conversation. I don't care if it makes me look like a total geek (I am one anyway), this place is too good not to be mentioned.

To DJ Pretzel specifically and to everyone else who contributes here in general, thanks for continuously producing quality music over these past years, for helping to prove to people that music in video games can be as brilliant and beautiful as music found anywhere else, and for being a shining example of everything the future of music should be.

/gush

Barnsalot
09-16-2007, 09:11 PM
It gets better the more I listen to it. I think I was a little overwhelmed at first, but now I'm listening to individual tracks, not just leaving the whole project in my WinAmp queue.

I wanted to extend kudos to a couple remixers in particular: Steffan Andrews and Pot Hocket.
To my knowledge, before VotL came out, I hadn't heard anything that either of you had remixed/composed. The tracks that you two put into the project have impressed me more than most of the others. Nice work!

Doulifée
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I wanted to extend kudos to a couple remixers in particular: Steffan Andrews and Pot Hocket.
To my knowledge, before VotL came out, I hadn't heard anything that either of you had remixed/composed. The tracks that you two put into the project have impressed me more than most of the others. Nice work!

I add my kudos to them too. Always glad to see new faces around, especially in a project like that. Hope to hear more from you two around :)

Villainelle
09-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Back cover finished, feel free to use.

Valalvax
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the email informing me about VotL, had I not received it, I wouldn't know this awesome album existed, finished the download this morning around 7 and have been seeding since, it's all together a really awesome collection

muzikal-phoenix
09-16-2007, 09:51 PM
can i tell u im still stuck at disc 1: track 5...

when im thru ill give a full review

sweet!

prophetik music
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Alternate cover art

Hi. I did alternate covers for this album, because it is jawesome. They are below. They are 24-bit PNGs of several MB.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs20/300W/f/2007/259/d/6/FFVII__VotL_alt_cover_by_leahzero.png (http://leahzero.deviantart.com/art/FFVII-VotL-alt-cover-65033461)
Front.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs19/300W/f/2007/259/5/4/FFVII__VotL_alt_cover___back_by_leahzero.png (http://leahzero.deviantart.com/art/FFVII-VotL-alt-cover-back-65067002)
Back.

Staff: feel free to add these to the official VotL site, with a link to my deviantart page. Rock on.

this is really nice. i'm using this coverset. thanks.

k u n g f u c h i c k e n
09-16-2007, 10:11 PM
After really listening, Disc 1 is like track for track just amazing. After that, the rest of the discs kinda fall off a bit (not of course without a few scattered gems throughout). Disc 1 though, man, WOW.

Hemophiliac
09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
I add my kudos to them too. Always glad to see new faces around, especially in a project like that. Hope to hear more from you two around :)

actually they really aren't "NEW"

http://www.ocremix.org/remixer/steffanandrews/ <-formerly known as spekkiosaurus

http://www.ocremix.org/remixer/pothocket/ <-been up since october of last year.

Liontamer
09-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Back cover finished, feel free to use.
Swanky. I think the primary font could be a bit more stylized, but this is pretty cool. Hopefully my corrections don't sound ungrateful.

Corrections: 102 - [Opening - Bombing Mission] (same hyphenated style as [Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!]
103 - Sephfire, SGX
105 - SnappleMan
107 - Not sure if the needed space was there in [Turks' Theme]; currently looks like Turks'Theme, but it could be the font
110 - Keep source as Shinra Company (reasoning: 2nd para of this linked Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_%28Final_Fantasy_VII%29#Shinra_Electric_Power _Company); even if this was kept as is, it should have been "Shin-Ra")
202 - AFAIK your sources are right but in reverse order; maybe check with zircon
204 - Would be a cool bonus to revise it to Mustin (with or w/Tim Yarbrough, Lisa Leamons, Jennifer Graham), as this info wasn't given to us in time for the first art); source is also [Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY VII] with caps in keeping with the style of the original soundtrack listing (VGM soundtracks are weird like that)
307 - FFmusic Dj

Nice work, Leah.

Villainelle
09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
FIXT

Made corrections to back cover per Larry's post.

(BTW, alphabetized the w/'s on Mustin's track...wasn't sure why you mentioned them in reverse order but every other track's artists are alphabetized.)

xa hoi van minh
09-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Track 08 (Adrenalyne Kyck), there's some spoken words. Here's what I have... but I'm missing a tiny bit DX

In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accidents. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of [???????]. It leaves no dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you love very much, you feel this big empty space and think, "If I had known this was coming, I would have done things differently."

Brandon Strader
09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey zircon, congratulations on finally getting this done! I still regret not being part of it, but of course, I will be able to find a project to work on someday here. I remember, I wanted to do a "Who Am I?" song for it... It's too bad you've not got one of those. :p I blame myself. But anyway....

This is a great collection. It's a lot to listen to, and I can't honestly say I've heard it all because I've been at college (I downloaded the first 2 discs while I was in class), but the stuff I've heard so far is grand. Some of the techno tracks are, well, techno, but it's still quite nice. Let me know what you're working on in the future. I don't think I've got IRC set up in Trillian anymore, but if you've got aim/msn/yahoo, let me know and we can chat sometime.

Peace!

Liontamer
09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
FIXT

Made corrections to back cover per Larry's post.

(BTW, alphabetized the w/'s on Mustin's track...wasn't sure why you mentioned them in reverse order but every other track's artists are alphabetized.)

I just mentioned them in what order they appeared. Good call on the alpha, as well as sephfire with a lowercase S (my fault there). The f is sephfire is also missing though. Source in 102 still needs the fix with the - instead of the /, as it's one source track just like 305's source.

Track 08 (Adrenalyne Kyck), there's some spoken words. Here's what I have... but I'm missing a tiny bit DX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerith_Gainsborough#Development_and_reflection

amvteknoboy
09-16-2007, 11:41 PM
just letting you know, there will be an ad for this in the next VG AMV Project, VG4: Rebirth (http://www.vg-projects.com/vg4.html). We finally finished it and it will be playing at AWA this year. Hopefully at a couple of other cons too.

Just another way to help promote your talents!

Villainelle
09-16-2007, 11:49 PM
The f is sephfire is also missing though.

OMG

Sephfire, you make good music but WORST NAME EVAR

ChloroPhil
09-17-2007, 12:54 AM
This is awesome, much appreciation for all the work on this album. All the collaborations and different artists participating give it a really cool "community" feel.

xa hoi van minh
09-17-2007, 01:01 AM
I just mentioned them in what order they appeared. Good call on the alpha, as well as sephfire with a lowercase S (my fault there). The f is sephfire is also missing though. Source in 102 still needs the fix with the - instead of the /, as it's one source track just like 305's source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerith_Gainsborough#Development_and_reflection

Gwarsh, you're made of win. Thanks!1!!!1

Jillian Aversa
09-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Yay, and now for my next batch of reviews! Already covered Disc 1 here (http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=318932&postcount=107) if you missed it. On to...

DISC 2: Dirge

1. Short Skirts (Tifa's Theme) - djpretzel, Vigilante:

I love everything about this track - except the cello sample. The part-writing itself is excellent, but compared to all the other "live" sounding instruments, I guess it just pulls me out a little. Still, a very small price to pay for such a great collab. The chord progression starting around 1:45 is transporting. Makes my throat burn a little, actually; there's a strong nostalgic feeling that just tugs on my heartstrings. Love the instrument choices, and such sophisticated soloing from both parties. I really can't imagine myself tiring of this one, although I may have to avoid listening to it when I'm feeling particularly down in the dumps. :<

2. Valse Aeris (Flowers Blooming in the Church ~ Aerith's Theme) - Jeremy Robson:

Okay, so I was initially taken aback at how "different" this piece was, even compared to the other orchestral work on the project. While I don't really particularly strong connections to Ravel's work (as Jeremy had stated he was sort of going for), I am pretty flabbergasted at the 7-plus minute arrangement of such a minimal source tune. It really flows beautifully... although perhaps with the exception of that goofy little horn solo at 3:36. :wink: Very imaginative, and very well done.

3. Embraced Empathy (Dear to the Heart) - Hemophiliac:

A surprising deviation from Hemo's usual style! I thought this piece was a nice break from a lot of the heavier, brooding tracks on the project. The subtle tempo changes were an interesting touch, with quirky little solos and a very natural progression. It's like a musical embodiment of the "noogie" you'd give your little cousin. (Not that I have one...) Very fresh!

4. Serenity (Main Theme) - Mustin:

What a comeback from Mustin! It's pretty hard to pick favorites on this project because of the sheer variety of options, but in terms of music that I would actually listen to on a day-to-day basis for enjoyment, this is one that tops the charts in my book. It's so damn classy from start to finish. I love the key change at 1:55 - like a breath of fresh air, surrounded by the light simplicity of a very relaxed female vocal. And then it gets darker, with subtle stutters and a really clean breakdown... followed by a terrific piano solo. When the voice comes back in with new layers, it makes you feel like you're floating in a dream. I think this track is particularly successful because it doesn't try to be too much; Mustin has mastered the art of restraint, and it pays off! Love it.

5. A Life Without Parole (Desert Wasteland) - Dhsu:

This is a soon to be Dhsu classic, I'm sure. Fewer actual notes than some of his other arrangements, but so poignant and beautifully performed. I think it's an excellent tribute to the source material; in a sort of film score-esque dirge (yay, Dirge), he captures the title in a scene of terrible destruction. Reminds me a bit of Grave of the Fireflies, actually... ;_;

6. Scenes From a Memory (On That Day, Five Years Ago...) - Sixto Sounds, Suzumebachi, zircon:

First of all, I love the way this piece transitions out from Dhsu's. Excellent ordering there! A dark rock arrangement of the theme, with a sort of forward motion that carries the piece forward with relentless fervor. Very tasteful harmonies, terrific guitar soloing, and the kind of depth that you would expect from such an artist lineup. I love the the section starting around 3:06, with the crazy synth arpeggios filling out the soundfield. Great job to all!

7. Golden Fields (Farm Boy) - Geoffrey Taucer, Tepid:

What a lovable song! This is one of my favorite lighter pieces on VotL. Everything from the rooster crowing on pitch, to the soft guitar picking, to the quirky little bells and percussive leads... I'd have to say it's probably the most sophisticated and enjoyable arrangement to come from either Tauce or Tepid. And the jazzy section is such an unexpected (but pleasant) surprise! I'm totally going to set my mp3 alarm to this track - the perfect way to wake up in the morning, over a bowl of cereal. Excellent! :D

8. Crystal Sermon (The Prelude) - Trenthian:

Ahhh... Who couldn't love a prelude mix of this caliber? Like Mustin's "Serenity," it has an incredibly uplifting feel... Like floating through clouds with incredibly speed, wind whipping around your face. At 1:56, the horn solo that works its way into the beautiful string orchestration is so lovely and pure. And then we get to the heavier beats! I am in love with the sound choices here. The grittier chiptune section at 3:53 is such a creative idea, and serves as a lovely reminder what this project is all about: honoring the game.

9. Chasing the Storm (In Search of the Man in Black) - Rellik:

Oh mannnn, and now we're transitioning back into the darker stuff. Ever since I heard Rellik's Earthbound mix, I have been a big fan. He transitions from a haunting intro to the funky technos with the grace of a ballerina and the stealth of James Bond. It's mysterious in the most stylish of ways! Short and oh-so-sweet. What a treat to hear! :D

10. Sephiroth's Wake (Trail of Blood) - Tweek:

Tweek is another one of the best new talents to surface in this community, in my opinion. Everything I have seen of his work to this date has been exemplary. This piece is downright eerie, mixing chilling electronic elements with an a slew of terrific sound effects to create an almost inhuman atmosphere. I particularly love the occasional measure of ethnic percussion that he tosses into the stew. Trouble's afoot!

11. JENOVA Celestial (J-E-N-O-V-A) - bLiNd:

Oh bLiNd, where would we be without you? Well, to be fair... probably still in a very good place. But just having his contributions on any project raises the bar all that much higher! I don't understand exactly how he does it, but his production always manages to sound utterly fantastic - ready and worthy of club play-age. This arrangement is not the most liberal of the bunch, but strikes an excellent balance between source material and interpretation. I am, simply put, amazed at its "celestial" perfection. And I don't even normally listen to this kind of trance.

12. Mark of the Beatsmith (Mark of a Traitor) - Hy Bound:

Yay, another terrific new talent! Perhaps the most elusive person on the project, Hy Bound has come forward to demonstrate his wonderful skill at combining intense rhythms and melodic, legato lines with elaborate detail. This piece takes on an almost Japanese feel to it, with orchestra hits coupled with smooth choir samples, pianos and bells reminiscent of the late (ha, okay not really) and great artists GrayLightning and Wingless... and some drum work worthy of a stadium setting. WOW. Disc 2 goes out with a flourish in Mark of the Beatsmith!

Shadow Wolf
09-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Who's the man in the black tophat?

The man in the black tophat was Teioh, may his name be cursed forever. He was a black Chocobo rider that randomly showed up in high level Chocobo races, and he was unbeatable unless you had at least a black Chocobo. Reason being that one part of the track went through outer space, and if you didn't have at least a black Chocobo, the damn chicken would slow down when it hit that chunk of track. At which point Teioh would rip past you for the win. Asshole.

moogleboy64
09-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Hm. I'm not quite done with it yet (just finished Advent), but I like what I hear so far. Though, I did feel like quite a few in the beginning were too far removed from the source, they felt sort of... off. But I don't mean to flame or anything, just putting my opinion out there. I wish I could be more constructive, but I don't know much about music. :/

Anyway, I'm pretty much in love with more than half of it at this point. Everyone who worked on this should be damn proud. :D

Jillian Aversa
09-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Wow, LOVE the art. Nice to have some options to choose from.

tweex
09-17-2007, 04:03 AM
The man in the black tophat was Teioh, may his name be cursed forever. He was a black Chocobo rider that randomly showed up in high level Chocobo races, and he was unbeatable unless you had at least a black Chocobo.

Not unbeatable. As sephfire as my witness (which hopefully he remembers) I did beat the black choco rider without a black choco. Most likely was just luck, but I did it :)!!

Gollgagh
09-17-2007, 04:30 AM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1360/ffviixn2.png

:V

sephfire
09-17-2007, 04:49 AM
It's true. He did it. Tweek can get a bit crazy with 100% completion in games. It's truly impressive to watch. :sleepdepriv:

Shadow Wolf
09-17-2007, 04:55 AM
Aaah, screw you Tweek. Frozen Landscape kicked ass, but still, screw you. ;-)

tweex
09-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Aaah, screw you Tweek. Frozen Landscape kicked ass, but still, screw you. ;-)

Cheers mate ;-)

Lotd2242
09-17-2007, 05:18 AM
I learned to wipe him off on the other racers. He'd get all caught on somebody else. Meanwhile with the sprint regen held down and running hard you can get way out in front so even the space area isn't too bad.

But yeah, he could be a real pain in the ass.

The Pezman
09-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I've long since determined that none exists. People don't like Yuffie because she whines and steals your materia. Personally, I think that just makes her human (especially since she stole the materia for Wutai's sake).

I did miss her, but if I had to add one track, it would be Who Am I?, hopefully with bits of Who Are You? added in to make an easy mix title: Who We Are. Admittedly the piece is not very interesting on its own, but in context it is fucking spooky. First time I was playing and saw Cloud going apeshit psycho in the Temple of the Ancients with this music under it, I was seriously creeped out. My mom told me to turn it off not long afterwards (I was 12 at the time), and I was thinking about that while I went to sleep. It creeped me out that much.

Subz1987
09-17-2007, 06:06 AM
For the record, I asked a LOT of people to do extensive revisions to their tracks. Reuben was certainly not the only one. For example, I can't even count how many times I had Another Soundscape go back to "Golden Feathers". ;)

Good thing you did. That track is definitely one of the best in the project. Mastered so beautifully

Sinergy
09-17-2007, 06:08 AM
As a whole I would rate the project an A+, but out of all the songs the two that really stood out to me were Frozen Landscape (Buried in Snow) by Tweek and JENOVA Celestial by bLiNd. I think that they both did a 110% job in capturing the mood of the originals. I'd have to give a slight edge to Tweek's remix since I'm sort of biased to Buried in Snow since I used to play it on my keyboard quite often :P

anosou
09-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Good thing you did. That track is definitely one of the best in the project. Mastered so beautifully

Thank you so much :) I'm really glad to hear you think so

Ashram
09-17-2007, 07:18 AM

I have the rest for you. Here:

"In the real world, things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly, and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves no dramatic feeling, but great emptiness. When you lose someone you love very much, you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming, I would have done things differently.'"

And of course, here are the lyrics for One-Winged Angel/Black Wing Metamorphosis (Only the ones in B.W.M., though, since some of the lyrics are cut. Also, if you know anything of Latin, disregard how the song pronounces some things.)

"Estuans interius, ira vehementi
Estuans interius, ira vehementi
Sephiroth

Veni, veni, venias
Ne me mori facias
Veni, veni, venias
Ne me mori facias

Veni, veni, venias (Glorioso)
Ne me mori facias (Generoso)"

Now, I have a question for the rest of you. Someone care to give me the lyrics to "Deliverance of the Heart"? I have a bit of that, but it's kinda hard to understand for me.

herograw
09-17-2007, 07:41 AM
So.... even with an ocremix mirror AND an ff7 mirror, my overall bandwitdth for the month is sitting at 1/5th of its capacity. muhahahahahahaha..

That said, this project has still managed to pull in an incredible number of hits and snatches. How any future project could hope to live up to this is beyond me.

zircon
09-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I have the rest for you. Here:

"In the real world, things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly, and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves no dramatic feeling, but great emptiness. When you lose someone you love very much, you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming, I would have done things differently.'"

Now, I have a question for the rest of you. Someone care to give me the lyrics to "Deliverance of the Heart"? I have a bit of that, but it's kinda hard to understand for me.

DotH lyrics:

Into light
Into sound
Into time
Let love surround
Let love surround

Simple enough :)

Fishy
09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I always though the words were:

Let love swirl around
Let love surround

I really liked the line 'swirl around' when I thought it was that :(

tweex
09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
As a whole I would rate the project an A+, but out of all the songs the two that really stood out to me were Frozen Landscape (Buried in Snow) by Tweek and JENOVA Celestial by bLiNd. I think that they both did a 110% job in capturing the mood of the originals. I'd have to give a slight edge to Tweek's remix since I'm sort of biased to Buried in Snow since I used to play it on my keyboard quite often :P

Glad you enjoyed it mate :)!!

Thin Crust
09-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Thank you so much :) I'm really glad to hear you think so

Imagine if Zircon told you to do even more revisions just to make it better and better and you kept working on it until the release.

Dhsu
09-17-2007, 03:23 PM
"In the real world, things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly, and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves no dramatic feeling, but great emptiness. When you lose someone you love very much, you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming, I would have done things D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DIFFERENTLY.'"
Fixed. :D

anosou
09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Imagine if Zircon told you to do even more revisions just to make it better and better and you kept working on it until the release.

Then I wouldn't have done Too Much Fighting and I like Too Much Fighting :)

Duo
09-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Love the alternate cover art!

Since Friday, I've listened through the entire album 3 times on my PSP and/or computer while lounging, and I can say that there is no reason to be disappointed. It just becomes more enjoyable the more I listen to it, and I love the style present in nearly every track. I've burned it to CD's so I'll be listening at work as well for much time to come.

Though I plan to review these tracks individually in the future, I'll name a few of my favorites-

- Deliverance of the Heart (perfect way to start off!)
- Nomura Limit
- Son of Chaos
- Lunatic Moon
- Short Skirts
- Serenity
- Crystal Sermon (Addictive as heck)
- Sephiroth's Wake
- Midnight at Club Corel
- Daydreaming Again
- The Crossroads
- Omnislash
- Beginning of the End
- Black Wing Metamorphosis (In regards to this, I feel this may be the only successful remix of OWA - not because a lack of material, but an abundance of it. Considering that, this came out fricken awesome. I feel deprived at only 3:17, because the drive and build up totally captures the feeling of the situation just as well as the original.)

Though if you put it against A:OWA...wow.

Anyway, this album is a success in every meaning of the word on the highest level. Much love for everyone who worked on this! I shall be enjoying it for years and years to come.

Dhsu
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Reu did a Yuffie arrangement for the project, but it didn't make it to release. I can post a link if it's okay with the people in charge.

zircon
09-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Fine with me.

suzumebachi
09-17-2007, 06:18 PM
So when's the plutonium edition coming out?

anosou
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
So when's the plutonium edition coming out?

I don't know, but it's gonna be DA BOMB! (get it!? get it!?)

Dhsu
09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Here's Reu's arrangement of Descendant of Shinobi (http://www.reubenkee.com/music/remixes/Descendant%20of%20Shinobi.mp3)

Also, thanks for the track-by-track reviews, pixie. The feedback is much appreciated. Hopefully I'll get around to writing my own this week.

P.S. I wanna see them everyone's Last.fm stats. I've got 258 plays on my track so far. Hot dang.

Lotd2242
09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Jenova Returns sounds a lot like the recent Spider-Man movie themes?

The Pezman
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know, but it's gonna be DA BOMB! (get it!? get it!?)
In all srsness, is the possibility of some kind of special edition even remotely on the radar?

José the Bronx Rican
09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
How any future project could hope to live up to this is beyond me.

Don't think that hasn't occured to me in the runup to announcing my project. Thanks a bunch, folks. :!:

A-RoN
09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Holy crap...I have so many friends who love FF7. I'll be sending an e-mail out and they'll be many downloads.

Dhsu
09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Jenova Returns sounds a lot like the recent Spider-Man movie themes?
The remix title is ostensibly a reference to "Batman Returns," another Danny Elfman score.

anosou
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
P.S. I wanna see them everyone's Last.fm stats. I've got 258 plays on my track so far. Hot dang.

Too Much Fighting: 483 plays ( http://www.last.fm/music/Another+Soundscape/_/Too+Much+Fighting+%28Fanfare%29 )
Golden Feathers: 294 plays ( http://www.last.fm/music/Another+Soundscape/_/Golden+Feathers+%28Racing+Chocobos+-+Place+Your+Bets%21%29 )

Jaybell
09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Maaaan, I just noticed that damn near every song references J-E-N-O-V-A in some form or another. I heard it in Too Much Fighting and also a bit in Serenity. Any other JENOVA sightings? Besides the obvious, you know, the jenova remixes? :P

Fishy
09-17-2007, 10:40 PM

Only 201 for me, looks like Anso is kicking everyone's ass.

Chickenwarlord
09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I find it very amusing that on I'm on the similar artists list of AnSo.
Also, Star Salzman's track is very revitalizing.

SnappleMan
09-17-2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.last.fm/music/SnappleMan/_/Full+Frontal+Assault

1 play, sucka.

Also, who made that last.fm account for me? I had nothing to do with making it, or updating it, or anything. What's up with that?

Fishy
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
They create themselves. Whenever someone listens to a song with an artist not on the page, it just makes one.

Thats why you get loads of individual pages for every collab on the site. It just reads the artist tag literally.

SnappleMan
09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Ohhh, I see. Also, why can't I register SnappleMan?

Fishy
09-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Probably someones nicked it. I had to use Fishy1618.

Chickenwarlord
09-17-2007, 11:07 PM
There is also the possibility that DJP reserved it as an artist license.

Vilecat
09-17-2007, 11:47 PM
So.... even with an ocremix mirror AND an ff7 mirror, my overall bandwitdth for the month is sitting at 1/5th of its capacity. muhahahahahahaha..

That said, this project has still managed to pull in an incredible number of hits and snatches. How any future project could hope to live up to this is beyond me.
People DID say the same about Kong in Concert, and even before about Relics of the Chozo.

Probably not gonna make it ZOMGBETTAH! but maybe only by having a "crispy finishing touch" on the whole thing, for a lack of better words. LOL @ people still finding a reason to whine, and
grats to everyone for making me enjoy every track of a game i came to detest through the last few years(many reasons, yadda yadda etc.). I particulary like how many songs aren't recognizable compared to the source tune and are right away at the same time. GJ and GG guys!
(now let's get all those other game remixing projects finished, aight? ;) )

Edit : forgot to mention, but i'll surely seed this for quite a while, like most OCR torrents

Darangen
09-18-2007, 12:24 AM
The album is awesome. Definitely the best OC Remix project.

Quick Question: Disc 4 Track 2 - Collision. Is this meant to be a tribute to David Crowder Band? Because it's VERY VERY similar to the song 'Do Not Move' from the album... 'A Collision'. Far too similar to be a coincidence ;)

I got a few ideas from that song, yes. I believe I changed enough for it to be considered a new song, but some of the intro stuff I did get from that song.

Fanboy
09-18-2007, 12:46 AM
u r liar!
u r sukking up!

btw just got home and listening this through. Loved your track too Fishy ;)
so far, only three tracks listened, but man they all blew me away O.o bastards

Actually, wow man. When i listen to the Chocobo themes i usually do it to piss off my neighbours, and that isn't very often. But this beauty has been in my playlist the last three days now, and woah. You took a track that could have been used to psych out prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and made it sound like something a new age-buddhist monk would meditate to. In other words; En så in i helvete bra låt!

That's Swedish, and it means something like ''Hell of a song'' so don't kill me for using foreign words, thank you very much. ;)

And well yeah, i don't know what a new age-buddhist is, i don't even think new age-buddhism exist, and if it did it would probably be called ''Neo-buddhism'' or something like that. I just thought it sounded funny, forgive my childish mind. But, well you can't expect more from a fifteen year old i suppose. So don't give me a hefty rant about that=)

zircon
09-18-2007, 01:11 AM

Steffan Andrews is a big fan of Danny Elfman, who scored Spider-Man 1 and 2. Plus as was noted by an earlier poster, "Jenova Returns" is a direct reference to "Batman Returns", another movie scored by Elfman. :)

KingTiger
09-18-2007, 01:38 AM
It looks like there are some unfaithful peeps out there...

http://www.coreyoltman.com/images/other/ff7torrent.jpg

"0 seeds in 0 peers"

More people seed this please! I want to hear it...

Hemophiliac
09-18-2007, 01:44 AM
as of this moment the tracker says 783 seeders and 1154 leechers.

i dunno what you're seeing but it should be going.

KingTiger
09-18-2007, 01:48 AM
hm. I thought something seemed wrong with 0...I guess I'd better figure out what's wrong with my copy of BitTorrent :(

Lotd2242
09-18-2007, 01:49 AM
That explains a lot. :-) There were parts that were familiar but not Spidey that I couldn't place. I haven't seen Batman Returns in a long time otherwise I might've recognized it.

I enjoy the track, but wondering if it was intentional or coincidental was driving me crazy, hehe.

The Author
09-18-2007, 01:52 AM
I seeded it for a bit, and I kinda drained my resources, I wish I still had unlimited transfer... I'll do what little I can.

Miletus
09-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Okay, tracks I loved that gave me goosebumps: Adrenalyne Kyck (specifically the quote bit, loved the reference when I found it out too), Every Story Begins with a Name (about 5-6 times throughout the song, mainly the first half)
Tracks I loved: Deliverance of the Heart (specifically the atmospheric bit from 2:20), Jenova Celstial (nothing like some of the classic euphoric trance), Daydreaming Again, Frozen Landscape
Loads more I loved that don't come instantly to mind probably because I didn't hear them a while.
Thanks to all the artists for this excellent, excellent release.

EDIT 1 of 21484: And, of course, Crossroads. MMmm

big giant circles
09-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Top Tracks, Last Week
1 - Every Story Begins with a Name (Opening - Bombing Mission) - 428

daaaaaamn. that's exciting to see :)

Prasa_U.
09-18-2007, 03:32 AM
First of all, congratulations on the release, it's a great project. I have to ask though, I wonder when you guys plan to return to regular posting? AKA how long do you plan to leave the project featured up at the front?

The Damned
09-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Seeing how Tha Sauce is down because suzumebachi's bandwidth was sucked up all at once, you guys may want to contact Generic Asian Guy on the site here. He's hosting the Pokémon project, and says he has a pretty high monthly limit.

If you ask, he may be able to help out.

Just a heads up.

Nathan I. Rich
09-18-2007, 03:56 AM
First of all, congratulations on the release, it's a great project. I have to ask though, I wonder when you guys plan to return to regular posting? AKA how long do you plan to leave the project featured up at the front?

It was just released... give it some time to shine.

Truly an epic compilation beyond mine and many others' expectations.

herograw
09-18-2007, 04:58 AM
It looks like there are some unfaithful peeps out there...

http://www.coreyoltman.com/images/other/ff7torrent.jpg

"0 seeds in 0 peers"

More people seed this please! I want to hear it...

Come on, man. Everyone knows Transmission (http://transmission.m0k.org) is where it's at.

KingTiger
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Come on, man. Everyone knows Transmission (http://transmission.m0k.org) is where it's at.

Got it. Oh wow this is so much better. I think the Mac version of BitTorrent must just suck or something. Thank you.

Bahamut
09-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Got it. Oh wow this is so much better. I think the Mac version of BitTorrent must just suck or something. Thank you.

lol, yeah, Transmission is worlds better than the official client.

Steffan Andrews
09-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Maaaan, I just noticed that damn near every song references J-E-N-O-V-A in some form or another. I heard it in Too Much Fighting and also a bit in Serenity. Any other JENOVA sightings? Besides the obvious, you know, the jenova remixes? :P

There is an allusion to it in Black Wing Metamorphosis (OWA) too 8-)

anosou
09-18-2007, 08:12 AM
That's Swedish, and it means something like ''Hell of a song'' so don't kill me for using foreign words, thank you very much. ;)

Tack så jättemycket! I'm really glad you enjoyed it

Fishy
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=www.ocremix.org

rofl

musicaloblivion
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Listened to every track and I really have no complaints about it. Every piece has something very unique about it. Almost like every song had it's own persona, per say. I wish I could pay everyone who made this possible. I feel like I owe.

Favorite Song:
Almost made me cry. This song is so beautiful!
"Shnabubula - Stone Eyes (The Great Warrior)"

The Author
09-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I finally got to listen to the entire project, and well, some songs made me wish I had a 6 star rating on my ipod. This is probably one of the best compilations I have had the chance to listen to.

Great variety of genres, and it really gave a new life to a soundtrack that is too often limited to 4 or 5 songs (you can name them, come on, you know you can.)

This deserves all the praise it got.

Liontamer
09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Courtesy Gecko Yamori (http://www.ocremix.org/remixer/geckoyamori/), our new promotional art:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/539/flyerartfv6.png

suzumebachi
09-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I think last.fm finally broke. A ton of the project songs can't be searched for, yet they exist in the database when you browse by tags. And the number of plays is definitely broken. Scenes from a Memory has 410, but Black Wing Metamorphosis only has 2? That surely can't be right.

anosou
09-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I think last.fm finally broke. A ton of the project songs can't be searched for, yet they exist in the database when you browse by tags. And the number of plays is definitely broken. Scenes from a Memory has 410, but Black Wing Metamorphosis only has 2? That surely can't be right.

It might be, many haven't got the last CD, and if they have they might not have listened to it.
But honestly, I think it's broken XD

Dunther
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Someone adds the information on Last.fm please :)

Nutritious
09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm seriously tempted to put that picture on the jewell case when I burn the project :nicework:

CelticWhisper
09-19-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm currently in the process of converting the WAVs from this project to FLAC files, but I'm having some trouble with the WAV version of Disc 1, Track 12 "Motor Crazycycle." The FLAC compressor reaches 100% but then throws an error regarding an unexpected End Of File.

I've already tried redownloading the individual file with my torrent client (Azureus), but no dice.

Is anyone else having this problem, or has anyone discovered a solution? I could try hex-editing, but I've never hex-edited an audio file before.

If it helps, I can post the output of flac when I try to run it from the shell.

As for the music itself...

d-----^___^-----b

Meiguoren
09-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Well, I'm about halfway through Disc 3 and I have to say... I'm just not feeling it.

The scope of this project is incredible and the sheer amount of contributors is a wonder. The names involved are so full of talent and originality, and many of them have been favorites of mine since before I arrived on the boards.

That said, I don't know why this project just feels so lackluster, so soulless. It's big, it covers a lot of ground, but it's just not incredible.

That's not to say that it's all been bad, however. Thus far the standouts (both positively and negatively) have been:

BGC's first track on Disc 1 was unique and wonderful. After the lackluster feel of the opening track (which had great production and incredible singing but felt like a by the numbers exercise) this one made me sit up in my chair.

The rest all seemed to melt together until Liontamer's vocoder work, which was totally unnecessary. That track was going very well until the jarring narration.

The rest of the first disc was a mess of sounds, with every track sounding the same. Frequently I couldn't tell when one ended and the next began.

The second disc, thankfully, had more variety. Robson's track sounded great (I've been a fan of his since long before he was on this site) but it lacked transitions and cohesion.

Dshu's piece was a wonderful solo piano, which flowed very, very well, and Mustin's piece was well done, but couldn't wipe away the feeling that CotMM's six or seven year old two minute piece continues to elicit.

And perhaps that's my problem. I feel that there have already been so many great mixes of these tracks on the site that these new ones are just... underwhelming. This collection just feels unnecessary, like an exercise in making music instead of creating something wonderful that you love. I'm just not feeling that love.

That's not to say that this is bad, because it's not. Not by any means. It's just not what it should have been. Or, perhaps more accurately, it's not the collection that is already in the archives of this very website. There are better versions of many of these same tracks right here.

And I think the thing that's hitting me the hardest is just not being impressed by a batch of my favorite musicians. I got really excited about seeing their names on the list, especially Jovette, as I frequently wonder what he's up to these days (and, to be fair, I haven't made it to his track yet).

I do appreciate and admire the concept of the collection, drawing inspiration from the new additions to the FFVII lore, but most of these tracks were just taken from redos of the original OST.

If anything this has inspired me to pull out all those old mixes, to revisit some classics and old favorites.

Liontamer
09-19-2007, 05:47 AM
The rest all seemed to melt together until Liontamer's vocoder work, which was totally unnecessary. That track was going very well until the jarring narration.

Apologies for providing that track with my black sexyness. You are the only person in existence that could resist. :'-(

bladiator
09-19-2007, 05:52 AM
You haven't gotten to my track yet.

*unsubstantiated ego*

Ashram
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
You haven't gotten to my track yet.

*unsubstantiated ego*

Bladiator, your piano track is awesome. :3

In that vein, so are Pot Hocket's acoustic tracks. While I heard a few twangs (Say twang with a Southern, hick accent for maximum effect) on "Sleep, My Sephy" (Cute name, by the way), both that song and "Daydreaming Again" are very awesome.

Imasock
09-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Several repeatings of JENOVA Celestial later, working in photoshop has yielded this artwork I made for my own use in a game called Stepmania.
Whenever I make artwork, I repeat a song 2-3 times before starting, then I let my imagination and musical interpretation run loose in the form of artwork while it continues to repeat.
This is one of my favorite tracks, hopefully this artwork shows it, too. =D

Thank you, bLiNd.

In Stepmania, this image is shown when the player highlights the song in the music selection screen.
http://imasock.pestermom.com/Stepmania/JENOVA%20Celestial-bn.png

And this image is what is shown while playing the song, as a background image.
http://imasock.pestermom.com/Stepmania/JENOVA%20Celestial.png

EDIT -
And, regarding this:
In all honesty, I feel the exact opposite, the song was already excellent, but that quote inserted in the song blew me away, I thought it was the perfect addition to make the track truly unique and amazing..

I think people need to realize these are remixes, not re-masters. If you want a better version of the actual song, wait until Square releases the remake of VII on the PS3 some time in the next 20 years. Then you'll get good music that stays true to the originals 110%. Until then, I suggest you suck it up and remember these are meant to differ in style and musical composition than the original, while still retaining something that is reminiscent of the original . That's precisely what a remix is. This was done for free, I think some of you are judging this quite harshly. It's not like you paid money for the album and were severely disappointed or something. Stop acting like these artists owe you something with their music.

It's clearly stated on the front page, " From jazz to techno to rock to classical, it features over forty five tracks from over forty artists, each interpreting composer Nobou Uematsu's works in their own unique style."

Meiguoren
09-19-2007, 08:14 AM
I realize precisely what these are. This has been a site that fosters that kind of creativity for eight years (if memory serves). I have been an active listener for six of those eight. And I thought I was pretty clear in my post that what I wanted wasn't a direct copy of the song, but some heart and soul, which was lacking.

The simple instrumentals did end up pleasing me, and the last three tracks were quite good (Jovette's being the most audacious and amazing track of the entire thing), but it all just wasn't needed. Poke around in the archives and you'll find more original, better constructed versions of almost every theme of the FFVII OST. That was my point.

Liontamer
09-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I realize precisely what these are. This has been a site that fosters that kind of creativity for eight years (if memory serves). I have been an active listener for six of those eight. And I thought I was pretty clear in my post that what I wanted wasn't a direct copy of the song, but some heart and soul, which was lacking.

The simple instrumentals did end up pleasing me, and the last three tracks were quite good (Jovette's being the most audacious and amazing track of the entire thing), but it all just wasn't needed. Poke around in the archives and you'll find more original, better constructed versions of almost every theme of the FFVII OST. That was my point.

If I knew this was coming, I would have done things d-d-d-d-d-d-differently-ly-ly-ly-ly-ly.

:-D

Meiguoren
09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I've always loved you.

herograw
09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm about halfway through Disc 3 and I have to say... I'm just not feeling it.

The scope of this project is incredible and the sheer amount of contributors is a wonder. The names involved are so full of talent and originality, and many of them have been favorites of mine since before I arrived on the boards.

That said, I don't know why this project just feels so lackluster, so soulless. It's big, it covers a lot of ground, but it's just not incredible.

That's not to say that it's all been bad, however. Thus far the standouts (both positively and negatively) have been:

BGC's first track on Disc 1 was unique and wonderful. After the lackluster feel of the opening track (which had great production and incredible singing but felt like a by the numbers exercise) this one made me sit up in my chair.

The rest of the first disc was a mess of sounds, with every track sounding the same. Frequently I couldn't tell when one ended and the next began.

The second disc, thankfully, had more variety. Robson's track sounded great (I've been a fan of his since long before he was on this site) but it lacked transitions and cohesion.

Dshu's piece was a wonderful solo piano, which flowed very, very well, and Mustin's piece was well done, but couldn't wipe away the feeling that CotMM's six or seven year old two minute piece continues to elicit.

And perhaps that's my problem. I feel that there have already been so many great mixes of these tracks on the site that these new ones are just... underwhelming. This collection just feels unnecessary, like an exercise in making music instead of creating something wonderful that you love. I'm just not feeling that love.

That's not to say that this is bad, because it's not. Not by any means. It's just not what it should have been. Or, perhaps more accurately, it's not the collection that is already in the archives of this very website. There are better versions of many of these same tracks right here.

And I think the thing that's hitting me the hardest is just not being impressed by a batch of my favorite musicians. I got really excited about seeing their names on the list, especially Jovette, as I frequently wonder what he's up to these days (and, to be fair, I haven't made it to his track yet).

I do appreciate and admire the concept of the collection, drawing inspiration from the new additions to the FFVII lore, but most of these tracks were just taken from redos of the original OST.

If anything this has inspired me to pull out all those old mixes, to revisit some classics and old favorites.

Well first off, I thought Larry's words were a pretty welcome edition, as it explains a certain feeling that playing the game evoked and I think a lot of people had missed out on that excellent quote.

Had I never played the game, this album would sound pretty mediocre on the first listen. However, the FF series lined up pretty well with my age group and I remember buying FF7 before I had a psx (did the same thing with Shenmue 1 and 2) which is a statement in itself. It was the nostalgia that put me over the top with this album. After droning thru the first track (I have been endowed with a very limited vocal range, so I can empathize with jill) BGC's opening mix really started things. From there the tracks blended together in places and I had to go back a few times after having listened to an entire other track and not realizing it. But along the way were placed a handful of gems.

I know it's difficult, what with the album being 3+ hours long, but my recommendation is to give it several listens throughout the week. This album gets better with each listen.

Meiguoren
09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm halfway through my third listen thus far, and it's just not doing it. Not even for nostalgia's sake, as there are better mixes already up on the site.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the scope, guys, it just appears as though I'm the one guy who didn't enjoy it. That'll be all out of me. Thanks for listening to my contrarian perspective.

bLiNd
09-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Several repeatings of JENOVA Celestial later, working in photoshop has yielded this artwork I made for my own use in a game called Stepmania.
Whenever I make artwork, I repeat a song 2-3 times before starting, then I let my imagination and musical interpretation run loose in the form of artwork while it continues to repeat.
This is one of my favorite tracks, hopefully this artwork shows it, too. =D

Thank you, bLiNd.

In Stepmania, this image is shown when the player highlights the song in the music selection screen.
http://imasock.pestermom.com/Stepmania/JENOVA%20Celestial-bn.png

And this image is what is shown while playing the song, as a background image.
http://imasock.pestermom.com/Stepmania/JENOVA%20Celestial.png

Hey thanks man, thats an honor! Glad you like the track. I really wanted that one to have all the best pieces of the original but totally change the feel to something more uplifting. The original is a little darker in its progressions, but thats what made it good. :)

Villainelle
09-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Anyway, I'm impressed with the scope, guys, it just appears as though I'm the one guy who didn't enjoy it. That'll be all out of me. Thanks for listening to my contrarian perspective.

It's not a contrarian perspective. It's self-contradictory. You acknowledge that the entire album has a wide scope (one presumes of styles, moods, ideas, approaches etc.) yet then say that you don't like most of it. That doesn't make sense, unless you have very narrow taste in music and are close-minded about listening outside of your comfort zone...in which case, why offer us your opinion, knowing few works of music are pleasing to you?

Considering which tracks you singled out for praise, I garner that you just don't like electronic music, period. You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just stating that and going on to praise the ones in styles you like.

Not gonna argue, bro, but what's the point of writing a long post about how you basically don't like electronica?

The Author
09-19-2007, 04:33 PM
The scope of the project cannot be negated by the opinion of a person.

Its a huge project, huge scope, and it does include a good number of tracks, but I can understand Meiguoren's point of view. Nothing of what was offered really stood out except maybe one or two tracks. It's his point of view, and it is "contrarian." It does not contradict his admitting of the scope, there is just a massive project which he does not enjoy as much as others do.

RyuDeathstrike
09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
This album just blows me away. It feels like I'm back on my old Window's 95 playing the Comp. version all over again in my mind. All this nostalgia just keeps me listening and I just love it. I plan on making CD Cases and a DVD box with the art work for Show and Tell and I'll Deffinately give pics/a vid when I'm finished.

Thanks for the Music!

Villainelle
09-19-2007, 07:39 PM
(Small size to diminish this tangent!)

Radical Dreamer, you're not getting it. Read again please. Scope doesn't just mean sheer track count.

Might want to re-read his/her "review" as well. Statements like "I don't know why this project feels so lackluster, so soulless," "perhaps that's my problem" (emphasis mine), "every track sound[s] the same," "it's just not what it should have been," "there are better versions of many of these same tracks" etc. are empty, subjective comments. No discussion of what makes it "soulless" or what makes those other tracks "better." And with such close-mindedness it doesn't really encourage a dialogue with others, which is kinda, you know, the point of forums. Basically, he/she doesn't know why, but they just don't like it, and he/she felt the need to write a huge post to attempt to say so. Sometimes people see huge posts like that and mistakenly think that because they say so much, it must be well-considered. In this case it's not.

But yes, all the praise the project has been getting is more than enough to drown out the inevitable whining and inarticulate scorn from the peanut gallery. :P

Anyway, Imasock's song art is rad, I think I will do a few pieces for my favorite tracks T-T-T-T-T-T-T-TOO.

The Author
09-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Meigouren is far from being "the peanut gallery" and I think most people here would respect his opinion. The fact is, what he said was simply this:

"I respect the project for its scope, but it does not appeal to me."

If you understood anything else than that, or if you take offense to that comment, then you are the whiner from the peanut gallery.

And frankly, I am still shocked at someone calling Ace! "the peanut gallery." The man is a legend here.

Jillian Aversa
09-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Meiguoren:

I think everyone has a very personal idea of what "good music" is to them. In my opinion, pretty much every track on this project outshines most of the FF7 remixes already posted to OCR. But maybe that's because I like music that is very interpretative, different, and professionally produced. If I were in it for the nostalgia factor alone, I might prefer something that sticks closer to the originals.

On the contrary, I am far more impressed with the new heights these artists have reached through their unique arrangements. To each his own. :>

The Author
09-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, but just as everyone who posted praise here did not get their opinions discussed and "tentatively refuted", Ace!'s comments should be taken face value.

He did not dismiss the project as bad.
He did not claim the music was bad.

All he did was say that in his opinion, the project felt soulless. Nothing more.

(also, he's in China right now, so he may not be able to respond quickly.)

Thin Crust
09-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Do you think that Nobuo Uematsu could get his hands on this album? Would you send him a copy? Do you think it has been too long since he has heard his music? Do you think he will recognize his own music in the mixes? Or will he just sue us?

zircon
09-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Someone adds the information on Last.fm please :)

It has been submitted. Takes time though.

Chickenwarlord
09-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Black Wing Metamorphosis has a lot of different artist attached to it. A single change to any character and it becomes a new artist. So in all likelihood, BWM has a bunch of people changing parts of their tags and having it under a different artist than the OCR labeling.

nyf
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I have lurked at OCRemix since 2000 and registered purely to beg someone to throw together sheet music for Schnabubula's Stone Eyes. Schnabubula, or somebody with an ear for transcriptions--please. Help a brother out.

Stone Eyes is the finest piano remix I have heard come out of this site, which I feel is a strong statement when you consider The Trial, zohar's stuff, Sugar Water Purple, 600 AD, Cutman, etc. His previous stuff is Big Idea Stuff, totally fresh, experimental, technically impressive, but this track hits the CHILL button and just flows beautifully. Crushed the track, just crushed it.

I think the instrumentals dominate this project too, and I like electronica just fine. I wonder if there's something to be said for adding some humanity to FF7's heavy synth sound and dark themes. Pot Hocket's two tracks are phenomenal, Bladiator's finale is great. Club Corel, Short Skirts, Scenes From a Memory, Dhsu's track, and OWA are my other short-list tracks.

Now if only this much enthusiasm and talent had been thrown into a game with better source material... :razz:

Okuza
09-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Very nice indeed! I'll keep it in my seed rotation for quite a long time, because it will not be leaving my computer for an indefinite amount of time.

Dunther
09-19-2007, 10:41 PM
It has been submitted. Takes time though.

Uh ok...wow ;)

Dhsu
09-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the kind words (as well as the not-so-kind ones), everyone. I was a little nervous about the release at first, but it's a big relief to finally be able to get my track out in the open and see the feedback. I'm glad people like it so far.

In other news, if anyone has actually gone through the whole process of creating a physical DVD or CD using the custom CD and case art, and is willing to go through it again and mail a copy to me, I'd be willing to compensate them for their efforts. Just throwing that out there for any takers.

Meiguoren
09-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah, but just as everyone who posted praise here did not get their opinions discussed and "tentatively refuted", Ace!'s comments should be taken face value.

He did not dismiss the project as bad.
He did not claim the music was bad.

All he did was say that in his opinion, the project felt soulless. Nothing more.

(also, he's in China right now, so he may not be able to respond quickly.)

Say thankee. Also, thank you for respecting my opinion, pixietricks. Now then. Moving along.

The Coop
09-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Not gonna argue, bro, but what's the point of writing a long post about how you basically don't like electronica?

Not to be an ass, but what's the point of writing a long post about how you basically like it?

I'll tell you what the point is... to express your opinion. And the ability to do just that, is part of what this thread (and site) is about. The concept behind making comments and writing reviews on OCR, is to share what you felt was good and bad about a given track (or set of tracks). It's not about only allowing positive feedback here, it's about saying how you really feel towards what you just listened to... and Ace! did exactly that.

Some will like this project, others won't. But regardless of where they stand, they're welcome to voice their thoughts :-)

Jaybell
09-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Collision reminded me of the Metroid Prime soundtrack, sort of, even though I haven't played that game in ages. Didn't someone already make that comparison? Whatever, it's true. Especially that intro. "WEEEEEEEeooooooooooo, wooooooooo eeeeee EEEE".

Edit: Man, I've started like fifty pages in this thread.

Prasa_U.
09-20-2007, 01:07 AM
It was just released... give it some time to shine.

Right...but that that doesn't really have anything to do with just asking when they expect to return to schedule....It's a question, not a demand.

zircon
09-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks for all the kind words (as well as the not-so-kind ones), everyone. I was a little nervous about the release at first, but it's a big relief to finally be able to get my track out in the open and see the feedback. I'm glad people like it so far.

In other news, if anyone has actually gone through the whole process of creating a physical DVD or CD using the custom CD and case art, and is willing to go through it again and mail a copy to me, I'd be willing to compensate them for their efforts. Just throwing that out there for any takers.

Dhsu, all mixers will receive a copy.

Fanboy
09-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Do you think that Nobuo Uematsu could get his hands on this album? Would you send him a copy? Do you think it has been too long since he has heard his music? Do you think he will recognize his own music in the mixes? Or will he just sue us?

http://www.square-enix-usa.com/uematsu/q&a/index.html and if you're feeling bold; info@smileplease.co.jp

I'm not sure that you could get in touch with Nobuo with the latter, and probably not with the first one either but you could try nobuo@smileplease.co.jp or uematsu@smilplease.co.jp

Just maybe it would be worth a shot to try to give Uematsu a poke about this. But well, merely providing you with possible options.

Just make sure you give me a shout if someone gets a reply from the man.

zircon
09-20-2007, 02:07 AM
At this time, we'd prefer if no one went out of their way to contact Nobuo or Square about this project. Official dialogue should be left to either myself or djpretzel.

big giant circles
09-20-2007, 03:50 AM
I must say, takes a strong body and a disciplined mind to resist the aural sensuality that is Larry's voice. He is, in fact, the Barry White of the video game music and remix industry. While I am saddened that you have expressed a degree of disdain for his cameo, I fully respect and am immensely impressed by your ability to bat down his seductive vocal vibrations and resist the call of uncontrollably senseless elation :nicework:

(just joking with you, bro.:-) that's cool if it's not your thing. I am glad you liked the Opening remix though, Meiguoren. And I appreciate your kind remarks.)

To everyone else, Be sure to drink your Ovaltine! 8) (http://ovaltine.ytmnd.com/)

Also, Leah, your album art is super sexy. I hope to see more o' dat.

Jillian Aversa
09-20-2007, 06:01 AM
ROFL - guys, check this out. Black Wing Metamorphosis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQXKoqpy1aw

WTF?

Jillian Aversa
09-20-2007, 06:02 AM

WTF?

underthesun
09-20-2007, 06:06 AM
suco de melancia - 2:35, that's the girl from ipanema isn't it :D

Mr. Fox
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Yup, that's right. ;)

Dhsu
09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Dhsu, all mixers will receive a copy.
Oh. Well, in that case...

\(^o^)/ OVERRIDE

Barnsalot
09-20-2007, 11:38 PM

WTF?

That's weird.

Kanthos
09-20-2007, 11:41 PM

I don't know if he'd sue, but I'm sure he'll recognize his own music. After all, he is involved with the Black Mages now, a rock group playing his music. Any good composer would recognize their music in a remix anyway.

Dinobot 2
09-21-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm sure this has been covered but where can I see the lyrics from all the vocal tracks?

Bahamut
09-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Well, at least for the posted tracks, you can click the lyrics tab for each of them.

zircon
09-21-2007, 08:42 PM
The only two tracks with lyrics were posted. :P

case
09-21-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't think there was a single track on the release that didn't appeal to at least one of my musical tastes... I was seriously astounded by the quality and worksmanship that went into the project, and the result was nothing short of amazing. Some of the artists I picked out as having more than one song I liked, I think deserve some mention... zircon, bLiNd (name stealer :P), Sixto Sounds, pixietricks, Tweek, and Steffan Andrews. I really enjoyed the songs that incorporated a guitar, and many of the rearrangements that had a lot of orchestral sections added for a more powerful sound were incredible. Congrats to all who devoted their time and talent into the project, I hope to be able to assist in something such as this in the future. :)

MechaFone
09-21-2007, 11:27 PM
I haven't been able to seed on my computer, it never works or I can't figure it out. ><
Anyway, I've got the entire soundtrack on my computer and I listen to a different song every day. In my opinion, it's the best album that's been produced from the wonderful remixers on this site.
I made a copy of the soundtrack, and I gave it to the school that I work at. How's that for seeding?? It should be heard by over a thousand ears by the time the school year is over with ^.~

joe_cam
09-21-2007, 11:34 PM
If I could have sex with Lunatic Moon, I totally would.
Has easily become my fave song on this whole project.
Ball shatteringly fantastic.

zircon
09-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks Joe :) I'm glad you like it!

Sil
09-22-2007, 04:38 AM
Is there any plan to upload the scores for the piano pieces? I've been working on a piano semi-reduction of Valse Aeris in case anyone's interested.

download here (http://jeremyrobson.com/valse_aeris.zip)

Ytmh
09-22-2007, 02:18 PM
So, this project bugs me. I'm here, you know, totally thinking "Yeah, I loved FF7, and the music was nice. This will be fun at least!" and I sat down and listened to the thing.

Sure, I got bored halfway through the first disc but I kept listening anyways. Nice production values, it's really trying to get that polished sound out and sure thing it does!

It's very nice of everyone who participated to work on something like this and I appreciate the effort.

My main beef is that it was hard for me to objectively listen to this as "just the music", because the whole "THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER TO COME OUT OF THIS PAGE!" and "HA! NOW THEY'LL TAKE VIDEOGAME MUSIC SERIOUSLY!!!!" and so on and so forth.

I think that's putting way too much context into just a bunch of songs, sorry to say. This isn't breaking any ground anywhere in terms of the music itself, it's just a bunch of people who did what they know how to do pretty well and it works on that level just fine.

Tacking so much meaning to it almost made me want to simply not listen to it at all, since I expected pretty much what I DID hear, and I knew I'd be sorely disappointed to expect something like what the hype and descriptions said (and they are pretty vague and full of blanket statements, so that also leads to, you know, interpreting them in whatever way you want!)

I think it's pretty childish to have so much talk of what this project "should mean" to the remixing community and the site here and all of that. If everyone is so confident in the piece of work then let it speak for itself! It would certainly be a lot more professional, and if it is really as good as anyone says it is then it would also be nicely humble!

For example, I personally think PianoSquall's quote on the main page is extremely disorienting. How is anyone going to take that seriously? Saviors? Come on, I'm trying here to distance the music from all the nonsense attached to it, but stuff like that isn't helping.

So with that out of the way for now, I'll say a little something about the music itself.

I said I got bored, and what I meant is that while I see what people here were shooting for, it simply felt like I've heard all of it before millions of times. No, I don't mean that the FF7 soundtrack is old and tired. I'm talking about the actual composition of the arrangements.

I'll point out the biggest example, which is the so famous One Winged Angel. I basically was interested in this project for the major reason that I wanted to see how they'd tackle stuff like this precisely due to the popularity of the original.

It's a real challenge, I'd say, to take the source material and do something that stands up to its level yet is not the same.

So, a lot of the other tracks felt like, in some way, lesser versions of these problems. My problem was that they didn't distance themselves enough from the original material.

So when I started hearing the project, it was at first a little interesting, but I quickly started to realize that there was no work done at all to develop the musical material beyond the simple "different rhythm, change instruments, repeat" approach, to put it in very simple words.

Of course this isn't the case for all of the remixes presented, but I just kept feeling that so much more could be done with what there was, and since this is a very well known soundtrack it would've been a great opportunity to break some new ground.

I think that to really get a kick out of a project that tackles such a difficult soundtrack is to try to push into directions which people aren't expecting, take the source material and really work it and bend it.

What I mean is, why couldn't, for example, the one winged angel song been composed and worked in, say, free atonality. You could take parts of the motives through the song, establish them as head-motives and work it in many different ways. It doesn't mean it has to sound like Schönberg or any of those guys, but I'm talking that there's just so much more than jazz, rock, techno or 19th century classical music.

And specially considering the original soundtrack itself IS presented in those styles, it really seems to me as lacking imagination and creativity.

So back to the point I made about the context again. If the remixing community, this website and all of that really wants to make a mark anywhere, it's going to take a lot more than this. A whole lot more.

I personally can't recommend this project as an example of anything other than an effort by a significant number of individuals really just have a great time and do stuff they liked. At least that's what it sounds like, and I think that's a good thing. It is certainly sounding like everyone had a good time making this and all of that.

But it's also just as hopeless to really go anywhere for the same reasons.

So I can illustrate my point, listen to Gradius in Classic II, Act II. This is excellent use of the material, with many modern techniques and excellent use of the instruments. See also the orchestral album for Samurai Spirits, released by SNK many years ago. Fantastic reworking of the songs, which must've been a pretty big challenge since that soundtrack is extremely stiff!

In closure, I again would like to point out that I appreciate this effort to a great degree, and I think it's not bad despite what my personal opinion is.

However, to me, remixing is about solving problems. So what problems did this solve? What issues were tackled and solved? This project really had a HUGE issue to begin with, that of it being FF7, and all of this. Was that really tackled the best way it could've been? Does this project stand as tall as the original material in originality, composition and creativity?

Those are difficult questions to answer, but in the end it's what distances something that really makes an impact by itself and something that just lives off the impact of something else.

If you want to talk about the project, say things about it and push it on Digg and everywhere else on the internet, I'm sure many more people (specially musicians) would be more interested in what the remixers have to say about those questions, and the actual work behind the compositions.

Heads up, that's all.

Fishy
09-22-2007, 02:48 PM
So when I started hearing the project, it was at first a little interesting, but I quickly started to realize that there was no work done at all to develop the musical material beyond the simple "different rhythm, change instruments, repeat" approach, to put it in very simple words.

If you think thats the jist of the what the majority of the project is, then I don't believe you listened to the whole thing properly. Only a few tracks (probably mine included) are even near to being guilty of that.

I'm all for constructive criticism, but that sort of comment CAN'T be applied to a whole set of 45 tracks and be expected to be accepted. I would be very careful about putting phrases like "no work done at all" into a critique of anything.

sephfire
09-22-2007, 04:26 PM
However, to me, remixing is about solving problems.

Could you explain this a bit further for me? I'm not completely sure what you mean.

Lenny264
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Just a quick question: I just downloaded the soundtrack (ITS AWESOME gratz to the artists) and I printed the artwork and its way too big to put in a CD cover. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

EDIT: Oh and btw i'd also need some instruction for putting the disc artwork in the right size so I can paste it onto the CDs.

Thx ^^

underthesun
09-22-2007, 04:33 PM
when I hear lunatic moon, I just thought it could be the stage song to a tekken stage, set in grand canyons or something.. it just fits so right in a fighting game :p

oh and the more I listen to the tracks the more I get drawn to them.. amazing work everyone, really love this album :D

zircon
09-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Is there any plan to upload the scores for the piano pieces? I've been working on a piano semi-reduction of Valse Aeris in case anyone's interested.

I'm fairly sure Dhsu and Shnabubula don't have any scores available. Bladiator did say he had sheet music and would be uploading it in the near future.

Ytmh
09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Could you explain this a bit further for me? I'm not completely sure what you mean.

It means that to me remixing requires one to have a direction, and an intention, and then see what stuff gets in the way and solve it.

Say I want to remix the good'ol Mario 1-1 song, but I'm thinking here I want to do it for a string orchestra and do some other stuff with it. I have a lot of things to solve, which composition techniques am I going to use? Which form will the remix have? How far away from the original is it going to be? Should one be able to recognize the original easily or is that not so important?

Because I also picked string orchestra as my instrument(s) I have to start also thinking how I can best use the strings, and seeing which sounds I want and how do I achieve them. It's very much sorting through whatever materials you have, instruments, musical elements, and then seeing "OK, so I'm ditching half of the song because I have enough from just the first ten notes." or "I'm going to take things from all over it, but put them in other orders" and so on.

ETC, organization of the material. All of these things are challenges and they all present problems to whatever your goal is "But I want it to sound sorta like techno in this section, should I change instruments just for this or can I somehow produce the effect only with what I originally started?" or "This is not recognizable enough, maybe I should add more elements to fix it, but maybe that also mess up what I have going so far."

There's also a pretty interesting point to be made about quoting the original. Should the remix itself actually stand alone and knowing it was originally inspired or uses bits and pieces from another song isn't crucial? How much should I quote the original song, and in what ways? There's also the whole thing with collage technique, where you can just transplant parts and pieces of the original intact and mix THAT around, with other things, or with itself.

If, for example, you're trying to make a Requiem out of Super Mario's soundtrack, it's going to get tricky seeing how to employ the original material in ways which don't compromise the character of what you're trying to do. And stuff like "Should I quote the main melody as it is or should it be in minor instead?" is going to start popping up.

I hope this helps explain what I mean, and why if you're remixing a rock song as a rock song, with a rock song in mind, this is a lot "easier" than the examples I presented since most of your material is there already by genre characteristics, and there's a lot less to do since the original composer already did most of the work.

From that perspective, putting up something really well crafted and thought out in the same genre (I hate this word) becomes extremely difficult, since there are even more problems.

So there you go.

zircon
09-22-2007, 08:23 PM
The irony of your criticsm, Ytmh, is that the overwhelming majority of negative criticism we have received from *other* people is that we "butchered" the originals and strayed too far from the original melodies. I'm serious - you might be the only person I've seen on any forum to say we've been too conservative. Either way, I think it's impossible to generalize. "Valse Aeris" is completely different in arrangement approach and ratio of original material to source material than "End of the Beginning".

As for the press quotes and 'hype', well, unfortunately in today's world things don't "speak for themselves". That isn't how it works. With programs like Garageband and Reason, and the wide-availability of cheap (but high quality) audio hardware, anyone can release music. Literally anyone can get a homemade CD on iTunes, Napster, and Rhapsody without a label. There are hundreds of aggregator sites releasing tens of thousands of songs daily. The amount of albums released in 2005 shot up by over 150% compared to 2004, and I'm sure by the end of 2007 there will be another few hundred % on top of that.

All this translates to the fact that promotion - eg. publicity - is essential for any musical project to get noticed. You simply can't release something and expect people to flock to it just because you put it on the internet; even IF the nature of it (Final Fantasy 7) lends the release to greater public interest. Take it from me - I'm a Music Industry major and I spend the majority of my time reading books and magazine/newspaper articles on the subject, even outside of class.

There is of course a difference between "hype" and "positive attention" as well. We asked Michael Gluck to listen to the project and, if he liked it, contribute a statement we might use on the VotL site as a positive quote (this is very common in music, or any kind of media, really.) It was his word choice, not ours. Likewise, all of the people reviewing the project are doing so of their own free will. The people on the project staff, such as myself and djpretzel, have been careful to limit our 'official' word choice and not make bold statements. If you scan through the VotL site and the first post of the announcements thread, we haven't really done any hyping.

Ytmh
09-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Irony or not, as far as what other people say, it matters to me very little. Bringing up only a couple of examples is exactly what I meant when I said not every song in the entire project was made the same way.

And, about publicity? If you're so careful about what you say about the project, as you say you are, why aren't you careful about what gets posted in the official website for quotes and the like as well? Do you think that it doesn't reflect on you, if you allow it yourself on the page (talking about Mr.Gluck's quote)?

Might as well make up quotes saying it's fantastic, though what it says already is far more than that! It's not YOU saying it, right? That makes it OK, apparently.

Since you're the project coordinator-leader-whatever and you even have your own title there under your forum nickname, why didn't it occur to you that these types of things get obviously traced back to you if it's on a space you personally control (e.g front page of the project!)

And as far as your distinction of positive statements and hype? If it's on the official page, it's hype, period. It's a way to catch people who may probably be more interested in it because someone said it was good.

This sort of thing turn people away unless they were really set on listening to it in the first place.

I know it certainly made it pretty difficult for me to listen to it and try to remember it's really just a bunch of guys doing songs based on a videogame. Oh, for FREE too.

... But well, I suppose you didn't do any hyping. Sure. Yeah, it's called maybe something else in Industro-speak.

Sorry but I can't see how having ANYONE say "It doesn’t get much better than this when it comes to arrangement albums... brace yourselves for one of the most impressive and encompassing listening experiences in the world of video game music." on the main page of anything doesn't qualify as hype! What is it then?

Positive reviews are positive reviews, but when you're using positive reviews to sell your product in this manner, you're generating hype in favor of it by pushing the review before the actual product, generating expectation and piking interest.

You studied this, right? Fabricated hype is cheap, it cheapens the project and despite my criticisms I think the whole thing doesn't deserve such treatment.

big giant circles
09-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm definitely no scholar on the subjects presented in the last few posts, but a couple of things stand out to me.

I don't mean to take anything out of context, but it seems like you're over-complicating the bejeebers out of everything, man. Such as:

The thing about "remixing is about solving problems" - that's waaay too deep for me. I can only of course speak for myself, but I don't remix in an effort to make the world a better place or anything. I'm just showing my personal appreciation for the music, and giving myself something fun to do at the same time.

Also, obviously there's going to be "hype" in EVERYTHING. Look anywhere. Commercials, newspapers, DVD cases, cereal boxes, anything. Not to sound like a cynical jerk (really) but is one then supposed to use negative feedback to promote their product/idea? Sounds like you're stigmatizing zircon, etc. for a peculiar reason--and one that makes no sense at all at that.

Also, changing rhythm & instruments. Is this NOT something that should be done in order to reinterpret a piece of music?

WAAAAY over-complicating.

Seriously, you're more than welcome to be disappointed/dislike/express your malcontentedness in the project, and you have every right to do so. Anyone with sense and maturity understands and accepts that not everyone can be pleased, and that's fine. It's what makes the world go 'round.

But I don't understand the need to bring up solutions to things that never needed a solution in the first place. We weren't trying to alter the course of civilization or sweep mankind of into a new sense of nirvanic rapture--we just remixed a well-known soundtrack.

Again, none of my remarks have been said with the intent of offense. I'm just explaining that I think you may be way over our heads on this one, bro.

Liontamer
09-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I think he overhyped the hype about hyping overhype.

Prasa_U.
09-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Sorry but I can't see how having ANYONE say "It doesn’t get much better than this when it comes to arrangement albums... brace yourselves for one of the most impressive and encompassing listening experiences in the world of video game music." on the main page of anything doesn't qualify as hype! What is it then?

Yeah, that made me cringe a bit, but I suppose this is the first "all-out" release the site is making and because it's source material, Final Fantasy, is so widely known and popular, they want to do everything possible to attract every possible listener. And although I hate to admit it, that kind of stuff really does attract attention for the site, and most of the casual listeners who would be drawn in by it probably wouldn't have the same complaints as you.

Besides, when people praise you it makes you want to let everyone know.

And when you think about it, it's not really that much of an exaggeration. There's not a huge amount of video game arrangement albums, is there? So it's not much of a stretch to say this is one of the best, even if a lot of it isn't in a genre that I enjoy too much, I can still appreciate it.

big giant circles
09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I think he overhyped the hype about hyping overhype.

kill u
kill ur mom

zircon
09-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Yeah, that made me cringe a bit, but I suppose this is the first "all-out" release the site is making and because it's source material, Final Fantasy, is so widely known and popular, they want to do everything possible to attract every possible listener.

This may be the first "all-out" release OCR has done, but WE didn't write that review. The reviewer on M4G was an independent, unaffiliated 3rd party with nothing to gain by lavishing such praise on VotL. In fact, he risked credibility as a writer by being that positive. That quote, as part of his review, is an honest opinion. What are we gonna do, tell a reviewer from a respected VGM site that we're not using his review because it's too positive? Edit what he said?

Ytmh
09-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I guess I'm a complicated guy, har~

Prasa_U.
09-23-2007, 12:36 AM
This may be the first "all-out" release OCR has done, but WE didn't write that review. The reviewer on M4G was an independent, unaffiliated 3rd party with nothing to gain by lavishing such praise on VotL. In fact, he risked credibility as a writer by being that positive. That quote, as part of his review, is an honest opinion. What are we gonna do, tell a reviewer from a respected VGM site that we're not using his review because it's too positive? Edit what he said?

Hi,

I never said you wrote it, which should have been indicated by my use of the phrase "when people praise you it makes you want to let everyone know".

Also, there's really no need to be combative here, considering I praised the project earlier there's not much reason for me to argue back, so, good work with the album.

zircon
09-23-2007, 01:53 AM
I meant to append a :P emoticon to the end of that, I'm not trying to be combative here ;) Trust me, the project has received EXTREMELY negative feedback from some people and even that doesn't phase me. The way you worded the first part of your post seemed to imply that we manipulated or influenced the review, and so I wanted to make absolutely clear that was NOT the case. That's all.

Radiowar
09-23-2007, 02:15 AM
A decent project. I only ended up keeping 7 songs though (Materia Junkie, Chasing the Storm, JENOVA Celestial, Daydreaming Again, Midnight at Club Corel, Fading Entity, and Hydrophone Breakdown). As a singular album it's just too disjointed to listen to from beginning to end, but I guess that's inevitable in a project with such a broad scope.

'Midnight at Club Corel' is probably my favourite song out of all of them, though the straight-over-swing rhythms and constant shifting between the two at around 3:20 were kind of off-putting to me. I noticed a similar thing in 'Brinstar Bonsai Garden', I don't really understand why he does that.

DragonAvenger
09-23-2007, 02:56 AM
This project is great. Congrats to everyone involved.

Mr. Fox
09-23-2007, 03:56 AM
'Midnight at Club Corel' is probably my favourite song out of all of them, though the straight-over-swing rhythms and constant shifting between the two at around 3:20 were kind of off-putting to me. I noticed a similar thing in 'Brinstar Bonsai Garden', I don't really understand why he does that.

To be quite sincere, me neither. However, I am really happy you liked the song. =D

Steffan Andrews
09-24-2007, 04:31 AM
I think it's important to keep this project in its proper perspective. It was a collection of musically-inclined video game enthusiasts who were invited to make music for fun, and for the enjoyment of others, without compensation of any kind. In fact most of the remixers on the project had to donate money in order for discs to be burned and packages be put together for dissemination to reviewers. I think at most anyone should take feedback light-heartedly. It's not like we're charging $99.99 for the box set.

We're all not professionals, but what we've accomplished I believe is deserving of the recognition it has received, whether it's been over the top or not. You have to consider the target audience for this project. I'm not surprised people make over the top statements, the great majority are fanboys alike. And people like zircon have worked hard to make it work and get it out there.

Fraggy
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm not going to lie, I think I just orgasmed when I heard about this project. Whoever thought of this is a !!!!ing genius.

dPaladin
09-25-2007, 04:52 AM
I agree that it was a great project. Four of the tracks have found a permanent home on my main playlist (this sounds like I'm picky, but really it's just hard to make stuff stick. Nothing from the Doom project, for instance, is on my playlist).

I do think the "Best. Anything. Ever" quotes are overselling it a bit, and that quoting reviews on the site itself will have very little impact anyway (they need to be circulated) so they might as well be left out to give it a cleaner look. But that's just my two cents.

what we've accomplished I believe is deserving of the recognition it has received, whether it's been over the top or not.
But...but... that's the opposite of what over-the-top MEANS! :(

Anyway, I do think the project deserves props. Just that the ones it got were a bit cheesy and theatrical. But what do I know? I have a low post count, which we all know makes me a n00b.

Fiendofthenorth
09-25-2007, 07:13 AM
For some reason, Black Wing Metamorphosis is screwing with my computer. It will

1. Not play on either WAV or MP3 format
2. Not allow itself to be deleted in any way shape or form
3. Not allow itself to be moved.

So yeah, a little help here? I don't like having songs that don't work and can't be gotten rid of.\

Edit: All other songs seem to be working fine. Is anyone else having this problem? SECOND EDIT: Fixed it myself. For some reason I couldn't even look at the properties of it, but I COULD take everything out of the folder it was in and put THAT in the recycle bin and delete it without any problems, getting rid of the weird file. Whatever, I'll just download the song by itself.

Nutritious
09-25-2007, 08:46 AM
For some reason, Black Wing Metamorphosis is screwing with my computer. It will

1. Not play on either WAV or MP3 format
2. Not allow itself to be deleted in any way shape or form
3. Not allow itself to be moved.

So yeah, a little help here? I don't like having songs that don't work and can't be gotten rid of.\

Edit: All other songs seem to be working fine. Is anyone else having this problem? SECOND EDIT: Fixed it myself. For some reason I couldn't even look at the properties of it, but I COULD take everything out of the folder it was in and put THAT in the recycle bin and delete it without any problems, getting rid of the weird file. Whatever, I'll just download the song by itself.

It's got a long file name. So if you saved it deep into the folder structure of windows, it will cause problems. Try renaming it with "various artists" instead of all the artist names when you download again.

Fiendofthenorth
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
It's got a long file name. So if you saved it deep into the folder structure of windows, it will cause problems. Try renaming it with "various artists" instead of all the artist names when you download again.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

parasoul
09-26-2007, 07:43 AM
This is by far my least favorite of all the OCR full soundtrack releases. I've listened to the whole thing twice and there are maybe 2 songs total I want to listen to again. I'll be deleting this one.

herograw
09-26-2007, 07:57 AM
This is by far my least favorite of all the OCR full soundtrack releases. I've listened to the whole thing twice and there are maybe 2 songs total I want to listen to again. I'll be deleting this one.

What's your most favorite release? Is it this one as well? If so, you've probably only listened to one project.

Crescent Shadow
09-26-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't see how anyone can say they disliked this project.. i mean the sheer variety of music alone is incredible.

Anyways, this happens to be my MOST favorite project yet, beating out Hedgehog Heaven handily.

Now to place the blame ^_^; I was reading up on the write-up for Jovette's Crossroads piece when DjP mentioned making an AMV outta it. I haven't made one in a while...So off I went ^_^; Excuse the sorry excuse for self-advertisment ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzeZQqltSZk

HQ version: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=150725

Jondy
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I love it. I love it! I love you all!

parasoul
09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
What's your most favorite release? Is it this one as well? If so, you've probably only listened to one project.

I guess instead of saying "least favorite" I should have said "only one I don't like"...

I have heard all of them and still listen to them regularly. My favorites are Donkey Kong Country and Super Metroid.

CoyoteQuixotic
09-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Literally. In the seven years that I've listened to the works of the OCR community this album, hands down, has to be one of my favorites.

I fell in love with a number of the tracks, and, because of that, felt that I owed it to the community to give something back. Not being a musician, of course, I decided to honor you all--and this project--in my own way.

So, without further adieu, here are my thoughts on what it means to remix, and why it's a wonderful thing to do:

http://jarodcerf.vox.com/library/post/showing-your-roots-part-2-1.html (http://jarodcerf.vox.com/library/post/showing-your-roots-part-2-1.html)

Please let me know what you think (also if there's anything you'd like me to modify, clarify, or the like).

Peace,

-J

ZaiN
09-29-2007, 01:18 PM
First post so bare with me here!!

So far form what i've heard, this album is an amazing compilation of remixes from the music of the legendary VII.

So once i get it (In the middle of downloading it via Torrent) i'll seed over for about 6 months :)

I'm also gonna go spread the word right now on multiple gaming websites.

Lufia
09-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Hello! I was recommended to Voices of the Lifestream by a friend of mine and just thought I'd register here to voice my thoughts about it.

I have to say that for me, it's a mixed bag. There are some tracks that I am extremely impressed by, and others that I was disappointed in. The tracks that I've enjoyed the most so far as Fading Entity, Delivance of the Heart and Serenity and JENOVA Celestial. They are awesome, kudos to the people who remixed those.

Probably the most disappointing track for me has been Valse Aeris. I'm a huge fan of Aerith's Theme and was quite looking forward to this one... but it wasn't quite as I expected. For a while I felt as if I should be at a carnival or the circus; it was a bit too energetic and far removed from Aerith's Theme for me. My personal opinion when it comes to this theme is that it's a sad, melancholy song, so hearing it all trumpety and upbeat was a bit 'meh' for me.

Hmm... overall, I am finding the album enjoyable to listen to, but it isn't gripping me like various comments seemed to imply it should. That said, congratulations on some very fine remixes!

Dhsu
10-01-2007, 07:20 PM

You need to get Blad to perform this.

tk
10-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, I've just finished off my review for Squaresound of this album. I started it pretty much when the album was released and it's probably longer than most of my coursework for my degree, lol. I felt that I should put the effort in though after all the hard work you guys have put in over the last 20 months (I think it was).

I've tried to be fair across the board and judge each song on its own merits.

Anyway, the review is up at either

Square Union (http://www.squareunion.com/site.php?p=Review&c=FFVII:+Voices+of+the+Lifestream+Review+by+Ronin&id=6) or
Squaresound (http://www.squaresound.com/reviews/ronin/ff7vol.php)

Thanks for the amazing effort you've put in and I look forward to your next album release. ;)

Fishy
10-01-2007, 11:38 PM
The 'orchestrated' feel of the original version of this piece has been given a decidedly extensive makeover, making it sound reminiscent of progressive metal bands such as Dream Theater.

Everytime someone recognises my influence they earn 5 internets. Glad you liked my angry music.

Steffan Andrews
10-02-2007, 02:28 AM
9. Voices of the Lifestream:

Black Wing Metamorphosis is the title if I recall :)

The Pezman
10-02-2007, 06:10 AM

Finale format?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

anosou
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Another Soundscape demonstrates an admirable level of musical flair by managing to elaborate so much on the original's limited musical scope.

Thank you :) I love working with limited pieces of VGM. The challenge of evolving something short but sweet with creativity is really what I love the most. Like short NES tunes or like Fanfare.

Again, thanks for doing this review :)

tk
10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Black Wing Metamorphosis is the title if I recall :)

Let me just change that. ;)

Xaleph
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Considering I'm partial to trance, heavy guitars, and industrial - it would be hard for me to rate the majority of these songs with anything less than a 9/10.

I would have to say some of my favorite guitar heavy pieces are:

1.1) LuizA - Materia Junkie
- Absolutely amazing guitar work and interpretation of the original song. I can honestly say that if I remixed this piece I would have done something along the exact same lines. Hit me up sometime if you want to collab. This is probably my favorite song on the album. Seriously fucking amazing.

1.2) norg, SnappleMan - Full Frontal Assault
- Phenomenal guitar work. Basically if your guitars are live, you want them to be as perfect as possible. If your guitars are fake, you want them to be as random/lifelike as possible. Whatever you did - they sound absolutely amazing.

1.3) Sixto Sounds, zircon - Lunatic Moon
- Very interesting arrangement. I love the concepts behind it and the synth/guitar work. You can definitely see the touch of zircon and the work of Sixto in here. The genres are played very well, I would only like to see a better transition between the heavy grunge (death/black metal grunge work) and the softer part around :50. That, and during the heavier parts the treble seems to take a bit of a hit. With all that said - I would love to see this thing live between the both of you at some concert.

2)Fishy - Omnislash
- Love the guitar work. Listen to the solo around 1:30+. Seriously amazing work.

3) Darangen - Collision
- Synth and Guitar work are pretty good. The drum sound engineering could use some cleaning up. The concepts are pretty good. This is one of those epic guitar songs that I would just love to hear some singing in. I hope you record a version with vocals in the future.

I would have to say some of my favorite trance/techno pieces are:

1) bLiNd, Leifo - Fading Entity
- This is my favorite trance song on the album. Laid back, yet it has a very driving beat. Again, the rhythm is very static, the break points vary up the static rhythm. Love the guitar work - very well placed and professionally mixed. Again - this is my favorite trance song on the album.

2) FFmusic Dj - Ahead On Our Rave
- Happy Hardcore LOL? Not a big fan of the genre tbh, however he did use some really cutting edge samples for percussion, synth , and sound engineering work. Notice how the bass drum actually hits a high and low set of frequencies, very tight - the bass is slightly higher in frequency (at least on these headphones). Definitely on the cutting edge, even if it isn't a genre I particularly like. Rhythm is relatively dynamic (follows that thing I was saying earlier). I would say technically speaking this is the best trance song on the album - though not my favorite.

3) tefnek - motor crazycycle
- What a unique take on the motorcycle song. This was one of those songs that I really wasn't looking forward to the remix of - because if taken pretty literally would be pretty boring. Pretty heavy techno if you're into that stuff. Definitely some great harmonic devices going on in this piece. The only thing that really drove me up the wall was the drumline. For most techno - especially progressive techno (which this is not) if you take out the synths, the drumline should be interesting enough to be it's own song. Though there are changes in the rhythm, I would say that the synths/pads really drive this piece. The sound engineering is professional (incredibly clean channels and perfect mastering). All in all, very creative piece and professionally mixed. The drumline thing I mentioned is ridiculously picky just because I listen to a crapload of trance/techno.

4) bLiNd - JENOVA Celestial
- Great trance music. Awesome synths, lovely pads, great break, well mastered. Again, only gripe is the rhythm. I understand it's not progressive trance - but very very well done. Probably one of my favorites.

I would have to say some of my favorite industrial pieces are:

1) sephfire, sgx - No Such Thing As the Promised Land
- Sure there is! wait... Ok alright, this is probably my favorite industrial song on the album. Very dynamic - love the choice of drums/synths/fx etc. Very creepy - what else could you ask for? Maybe some equalizing that gives some of the channels the usage of the higher frequency ranges.

2) Tweek - Sephiroth's Wake
- Clean, good mastering for the most part - interesting choices of synths (I think they make it almost happy). However that almost happy feeling is destroyed around 1:52. Great work on this piece.

Xaleph - Son of Chaos
- What I'm not allowed to like or review my own piece? Since the gauntlets are off with my own stuff here I go. The rhythm is a bit lackluster, the choirs clip in the beginning slightly, the ending is boring, and that synth solo is just kind of... thin and boring. Other than that it's one of my favorite pieces =P (and I still listen to it).

Anyways those were my favorites - though mainly because of genre. Out of genre, Zircon/Pixie had a great piece, djpretzel/Vig with his clean sound engineering and guitar work (Tifa song couldn't have been easy to mix), and the Costa de Sol mix by RTF - that jazz is just awesome man.

Great work guys ^_^.

Fishy
10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Xaleph - Son of Chaos
- What I'm not allowed to like or review my own piece? Since the gauntlets are off with my own stuff here I go. The rhythm is a bit lackluster, the choirs clip in the beginning slightly, the ending is boring, and that synth solo is just kind of... thin and boring. Other than that it's one of my favorite pieces =P (and I still listen to it).

Well it would be silly to make music that you don't even like ^_^.

Dhsu
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Yet for some reason I keep making sappy piano solos. :(

anosou
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Yet for some reason I keep making sappy piano solos. :(

*hugs Dhsu*
You rule and you know it!

The Pezman
10-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Forgot to ask.

Owing to certain slowdowns on the part of a certain mixer, there are (to my knowledge) no chiptune soundfonts available for use in software synthesizers.

So how the hell did they manage to get the One Winged Chiptune into the mix, and even lay some low strings under it?

zircon
10-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Err... there are plenty of samples of old-school chip sounds as well as VSTs that can produce them without much trouble. It was no problem for Suzumebachi to create a WAV using them (I don't know the exact method), then send that to Steffan, who simply put it at the beginning of his mix and wrote other parts surrounding/under it.

big giant circles
10-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Forgot to ask.

Owing to certain slowdowns on the part of a certain mixer, there are (to my knowledge) no chiptune soundfonts available for use in software synthesizers.

So how the hell did they manage to get the One Winged Chiptune into the mix, and even lay some low strings under it?

this isn't a difficult thing to accomplish, and there are a number of ways to do it. i don't know exactly which they used, and i'm sure one of the collaborators will chime in anyway, but here's a couple methods.

1) someone renders a wav of the chiptune portion. obviously, they know the tempo, so they match it up with whatever other program the wav is loaded into and go from there.

2) they were using the same program, and simply transfered the chiptune file over, and loaded it up on the other rig and went from there.

if i'm not mistaken, suzembachi did the chiptune, and he did do it in FL studio. also, there are VSTs that will let you make chiptune music, so that's also a possibility.

*EDIT* yep. andy beat me to the punch.

SwordBreaker
10-04-2007, 03:14 PM
K, I just finished writing a review of this album along with details on my favorite tracks. As soon as it get posted in the site I write for, I'm going to post the link here.

http://www.projectcoe.com

anosou
10-04-2007, 04:08 PM
K, I just finished writing a review of this album along with details on my favorite tracks. As soon as it get posted in the site I write for, I'm going to post the link here.

http://www.projectcoe.com

looking forward to it
quite the handsome site btw

Hy Bound
10-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I was just wondering if anyone thought to try and get this mentioned on, like, penny arcade or something... Just a thought.

zircon
10-05-2007, 11:05 PM
We tried, through several avenues. Nothing came of it- most likely because Gabe & Tycho are deluged with email daily.

ZaiN
10-06-2007, 12:52 AM
I've thrown this up on Vuze (Azureus) (http://www.vuze.com/details/UQU5QSIIZUR7Y3YRBDWULWGVYWNMHCUT.html?a=SALL&cat=X&ch=X&cs=X&ct=X&page=Scontent%2FBucketSearch&pb=X&pg=1&pr=X&s=Slifestream&st=SRELEVANCE&t=X&vt=1)

Look's like it's got off to a great start, regarding that this file i uploaded has only been out for 4 days :shock: I've also took out the Wav. files if you guys dont mind, everything else has been untouched! if only took out the wav. so that it doesnt add on 2GB for impatient people! ;-) I'm at home all weekend, so ill upload the file for 42 hours straight.

This should divide more attention!

DMZ
10-06-2007, 08:25 PM
My Thoughts?

It's same old OCR. bLiNd steals the show with his usual trance style (Why does JENOVA Celestial remind me of Snowbound?), pixietricks supplies just about the only vocals while BGC gives us very avant-garde music. Shnabubula and Bladiator have got the piano solos covered. Zircon's a bit all over the place while RTF tackles the Jazzy/New wave/Bossa nova stuff and Sixto Sounds delivers the upbeat electronic-rock.

That's not to say that they don't deliver - not at all. Each artist, even those I didn't name, give us a fantastic piece of work, each in their own style, some outdoing themselves, others not so much. And that's where the problem arises. The album has way to many different styles, styles we are mostly already familiar with. There are bound to be tracks that we will be dissapointed with, especially concidering the expectations of such a great game.

Black Wing Metamorphosis didn't work for me (7 artisits on one song?), Lunatic Moon didn't sound right at all, as if it didn't know what it wanted to be (even though I love Sixto Sounds style and Zircon's production quality); maybe that kick-ass theme has just been revisited too many times. As for The Crossroads, it's the same story: the style just didn't fit with Cid's original kick-ass theme... although 3:30 seemed quite enjoyable.

The project was too big and it needed new blood. Hats off to mustin for Serenity, Xaleph for Son of Chaos, Star Salzman for Airships make me happy ('cause that song makes me happy too) Jeremy Robson for Valse Aeris (great style!), Trenthian for Crystal Sermon (not so orignial, but just that much more grand) and well bLiNd for just a kick-ass job on all three pieces.

zircon
10-06-2007, 08:34 PM
New blood??? So bustatunez, Hy Bound, pot hocket, Tweek, Hemophiliac, and Fishy aren't new blood? How about AnotherSoundscape, LuIzA, or norg? None of these people have more than 1-2 remixes up on the site, if that (some have nothing). Saying VotL "needed new blood" is a really unfair criticism considering the massive contributions of new remixers to it.

Not to mention the remixes from Dan B, Jovette, and Steffan Andrews, among others, all of whom delivered material rather unlike their previous remixes on the site.

Frankly, as I have said before, I think it would be a crime to FORCE people into doing just a handful of genres. Do you really think I should tell bLiNd to do a soft waltz instead of a kick-ass trance mix? Or that Bladiator should do drum n' bass instead of a piano solo? IMO, that's dumb. FF7 had a massive soundtrack with TONS of genres. In my opinion, the only way to properly do justice to it is to let great musicians do what they do best.

The Coop
10-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Do you really think I should tell bLiNd to do a soft waltz instead of a kick-ass trance mix? Or that Bladiator should do drum n' bass instead of a piano solo? IMO, that's dumb.

I think it would have been interesting to hear what they could have come up with. When an artist steps out from the area they're best known for or most comfortable with, the results can be quite enjoyable. They might infuse a bit of their past sound into the new one, or perhaps just go balls out into a genre that's completely new to them. Who knows what bLiNd might have come with in an orchestral piece, or you with a solo piano number.

Granted, it could have all become a Pat Boone-like catastrophe too, but still... ;-)

DMZ
10-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Zircon, you took that as negative criticisme and I'm sorry if that comes off as a little mean. I'm the first to admit that what you guys do is the best. I wouldn't be subsribing to the music on OCR weekly for a few years now if that wheren't the case. I don't mean to diss the OCR veterans; it's just that this time around, actually, I enjoed mostly stuff from the newer people, like I stated earlier.

The point is, I found VotL to be too big of a project for such a varied group of artists. Project Chaos worked great. Blood on the Asphalt and Chrono Symphonic where superb. VotL is just good, mostly because it just feels like a giant compilation of songs sharing nothing more than a title in common. That's just how it feels like to me.

Still I'll probably be listing to this as long as I have been Chaos and BotA. Good job!

BTW, there is nothing wrong with trying new things. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. But people get bored quickly and are always on the lookout for new. I mean there's a reason why movie sequels are always worse than the originals...

zircon
10-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I think it would have been interesting to hear what they could have come up with. When an artist steps out from the area they're best known for or most comfortable with, the results can be quite enjoyable. They might infuse a bit of their past sound into the new one, or perhaps just go balls out into a genre that's completely new to them. Who knows what bLiNd might have come with in an orchestral piece, or you with a solo piano number.

Granted, it could have all become a Pat Boone-like catastrophe too, but still... ;-)

Well, I'll be the first to say that I love trying new musical styles. Still, I wouldn't force that on people - it's too risky for something like FF7. What if the mixers came up with, as you said, a catastrophe? I guarantee you LOADS of people would have complained. Plus, people already complain that there's "too much generic techno" (which I think is untrue) - imagine if I just picked one or two genres for the entire project.

The point is, I found VotL to be too big of a project for such a varied group of artists. Project Chaos worked great. Blood on the Asphalt and Chrono Symphonic where superb. VotL is just good, mostly because it just feels like a giant compilation of songs sharing nothing more than a title in common. That's just how it feels like to me.

Ultimately, this is a subjective matter. I definitely enjoyed Project Chaos but it was not run any differently than VotL insofar as genre and style selection goes. The project leaders let the remixers do their own thing. They just had a different set of remixers. BotA was also good, but look at Vurez' "New Mexican Thunderbird" which sticks out like a sore thumb in the "urban" theme. I don't think that song detracted from the album at all.

As for C.S., I disagree with you there as well. I think the concept was good but the execution was lacking in that there were a lot of inexperienced remixers, so the general remix quality was often inconsistent (and poor). If people like Jeremy Robson, Steffan Andrews, Russell Cox, and Vampire Hunter Dan had been on board, it would have been stronger. Not to say the final result was bad; it wasn't, but it wasn't without flaws.

On a related note, one of the things I said at the beginning of VotL was that I wanted every song to be OCR-quality in both production and arrangement. I think at worst we may have a couple songs that would be borderline votes, but the vast majority would be YES or direct post. I feel that this is one of the best aspects of the project, and a standard that I hope future project leaders will try to follow.

Forgotten
10-07-2007, 02:52 AM
This is incredible,
this project is truely a piece of art and is/will be treasured by many.

I haven't heard all of the tracks yet but "1-03 sephfire, sgx - No Such Thing As the Promised Land (Mako Reactor)" is a real stand out track to me.

Good work guys

DMZ
10-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Granted, zircon, this is a subjective matter. Perhaps I've listened to Chaos so much, I'm somewhat biased in feeling that it plays out much more uniformly than VotL. Still it's not a question of any tracks detracting to the project.

About the original FF7 soundtrack being just as "varied", well yes and no. Yes, there are different moods, different tempos and different instrumental flavours, because the game needs to adress to each and every different mood, tempo and "situational flavour" brought on by the storyline. But the style doesn't change throughout the game. Style reflects personality. I can pick up a bit of Nobuo Uematsu instanly in all but a few FF7 tracks and it all just fits together. When I jump from Full Frontal Assault to Short Skirts to Embraced Empathy and then back to some JENOVA Celestial, it just feels like I'm skipping through my OCR playlist on my MP3 player looking for 2 or 3 songs I particularly crave for. A bit of Bladiator here, some zircon there... but there won't be any VotL album cueing. And this fact I think is why VotL is IMO good, but not great. And I see that by how many mixed reviews there seem to be. You're bound to please people with some stuff, while dissapointing them with other stuff.

I'm curious, did everyone kinda just work on their tracks on their own, or was there some serious interaction between everyone, or somewhere between?

zircon
10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
When I jump from Full Frontal Assault to Short Skirts to Embraced Empathy and then back to some JENOVA Celestial, it just feels like I'm skipping through my OCR playlist on my MP3 player looking for 2 or 3 songs I particularly crave for. A bit of Bladiator here, some zircon there... but there won't be any VotL album cueing.

I feel the same way about other projects, even those like C.S. and Relics of the Chozo, despite the fact that they may be uniform stylistically. In fact, I think uniform is boring, if you're just playing straight through. It is really rare that I'll queue up an entire album even from one of my favorite artists like BT or Hybrid. Listening to an hour or more of the same style or the same artist is rarely interesting after the first couple times you do it.

With VotL, there's such a variety that I feel like it IS a great album to simply queue up and listen through.

And I see that by how many mixed reviews there seem to be.

The reviews haven't been that mixed. The majority of people have really enjoyed the project. The reviews we've received at Squaresound and M4G were very positive. If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't really do anything differently. Of course there will always be a vocal minority; too much techno, not enough techno, too much arrangement, not enough arrangement, overproduced, blah blah blah.

I'm curious, did everyone kinda just work on their tracks on their own, or was there some serious interaction between everyone, or somewhere between?

We had a private project forum and a private chatroom where people interacted to give and receive feedback on their songs. Many people also sent songs back and forth via AIM/IRC one-on-one.

DMZ
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
To each their own, I guess :)

SwordBreaker
10-08-2007, 05:28 PM
looking forward to it
quite the handsome site btw

Thanks, man.

Here you go:

http://www.projectcoe.com/sony/features/ffvii_voices.html

Nothing too long. Short, sweet, and to the point.

Dhsu
10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Cool, thanks for the reviews, Swordbreaker.

Also I wanted to drop in and tell Bladiator how awesome his track is. Particularly how awesome it is that he covered "Lifestream." Awesome.

Steffan Andrews
10-09-2007, 03:36 AM
As for C.S., I disagree with you there as well. I think the concept was good but the execution was lacking in that there were a lot of inexperienced remixers, so the general remix quality was often inconsistent (and poor). If people like Jeremy Robson, Steffan Andrews, Russell Cox, and Vampire Hunter Dan had been on board, it would have been stronger. Not to say the final result was bad; it wasn't, but it wasn't without flaws.

Thank you for saying what I'd been thinking :) I'd have killed to work on CT material.

suzumebachi
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Forgot to ask.

slowdowns? no chiptune soundfonts? whaaaa?

there's lots of chiptune soundfonts out there. most of them are actually pretty awful, but that's not to say they don't exist. the way I did it however, was through usage of VSTi. ymVST (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1420.html) to be precise (which I no longer use since the creation of my own nintendo chip synth (http://hosting.thasauce.net/suzumebachi/nintiny_vsti_v003b.rar)). then it was just a matter of crunching some mono drum samples. it's really not even a very accurate chiptune (there's too much polyphony for one thing). once you render it, it can be used however the hell you want. like how spekko wrote the intro of black wing metamorphosis around it.

that's just one method; there's tons of different ways to do it. you can use soundfonts, you can recycle old compo packs, or you could even sequence actual NSFs etc with famitracker and convert them to WAV. if you know synthesizers at all, you can create pretty decent approximations with just about any softsynth as well. whatever works best for you, man.

SwordBreaker
10-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Just read the Judges' dicisions on "Collision". It's too bad that this awesome track hasn't been accepted after the re-vote. I can understand where they're coming from regarding usage of other source material. Still though, I can't imagine this track sounding vastly different from what it is now. I'm glad Darangen was able to easily combine his inspiration to the track itself. Plus, now I'm interested about David Crowder Band...

BTW, glad you liked the reviews, Dhsu. :)

TeiOch
10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
How lucky I am.

I would have probably missed this release, if not I saw this announcement on a site I just checked some "things" from the anime FF Unlimited. It was a wounderful FF site btw, named: Final Fantasy Compendium. So I thought I would just check its "home"-page before I would terminate the window. And saw this release in the news section. Talk about tomato in the face: :tomatoface:

I am (preferably) the biggest FF fan here, so a thing like this really blows me away. I know, I know, I should not say "the biggest", but we talk something rare here.

Anyways, one thing that makes me extra glad is the wav files included. I just cannot understand all those who says "why and why include mega huge WAV files?".
It is all about quality!!
And wav is original raw material, so to speak. Lossless real PCM quality !!! And like one said earlier (I think it was zircon): "for those who want to record top notch quality to cd's we have included wav files & mp3 is nice to have tagged and all to include in a mp3 player for example". [~]
So it is nice to have *.wav for cd recording and *.mp3 for computer and mp3 player listening. I'm happy for both of the formats... and seeded the whole package for at least 1:1 ratio. (I have a pretty slow PC).

And with a modern BT client you can choose to what download (I say it again!), so no biggy! Besaids, if the 2 formats had been splitted into 2 torrents, most would download the mp3 version and the wav version would have terrible seed. So it was the right decision. :!:

Why not FLAC then?
hmmm... flac is lossless too. But somehow it feels like wav gives a slighty better quality. With constant kbps ... what is it 1400kbps I think. Just feels better than ~800kbps that FLAC have.

So about the songs?
Well, I have not been able to listen to any of the songs yet. So I have no idea how they sound. In the beginning of this thread, like all say it is a fantastic album. Then in the middle one or two criticizement start to show up (they always do sooner or later), and at the end it is more like 50/50. So I DO wounder how good this really is.

I have good faith. So I want to hear it first when I have burned all 4 cd's on the critical CD Media: MAM-A 24k Gold Audio-CD. With grinded edge for even better sound and burning preformance. Start sounding as a quality freak: yes I am!
I will do this later today I think.

Then I will listen to it with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones; connected with SAA Equinox cable; powered with MF X-Can V3 headphone amplifier = BiG True Sound!
Hifi geek? Yupp!

That's why I want to listen first with this system. I believe first impression is very important in terms of both audio and video. Better quality at those times are proportional to the impression, I believe [partly].

SO I will hear it with best possible quality I can with my trade-mark 3-step::
1. Burn with *.wav files with Nero 8 and a Plextor burner powered with clean power from special filters and cables.
2. Use grind edged Top Notch special 24k gold audio cd's especially designed for audio recordings. Less jitter during recording and trueer sound during playback.
3. Hear it with my best audio equipment I own. In this case with my headphones. First impression can begin..

I will let you all know what I thought of the album when I have heard all four cd's. I am quite excited ... maybe I will play FF7 before I hear, haha! 8O :razz:

oh btw, TX A LOT for this release!!! Means a lot for us few truly TRUE fans!

Steffan Andrews
10-12-2007, 12:07 AM
hmmm... flac is lossless too. But somehow it feels like wav gives a slighty better quality. With constant kbps ... what is it 1400kbps I think. Just feels better than ~800kbps that FLAC have.

Welcome to the fray :) Last I checked, lossless is lossless. It does not remove any information, it just compresses the file size so as to occupy less disk space. The "compressed" bitrate has absolutely nothing to do with audio quality. It decompresses on the fly as you play it, bit for bit a mirror copy of the wave file. Much like if you ZIP a file, the unzipped version won't be "slightly better quality." With mp3 or other lossy codecs, it actually alters the data reducing its quality.

Fishy
10-12-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm waiting for a vinyl copy of this.

Actually are those expensive to get made? Something about vinyls make them more fun to listen to then CD's or mp3s...

Steffan Andrews
10-12-2007, 12:15 AM
You can get a vinyl burner for like $35 these days. You need the 5.25" to 15" drive bay converter though.

Fishy
10-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Ah sweet, I'm definately gonna look into something like that.

tweex
10-12-2007, 03:55 AM
You can get a vinyl burner for like $35 these days. You need the 5.25" to 15" drive bay converter though.

Which is something the DJ community is very happy about. Having a company press vinyl is expensive....

And in case I went too far off topic: good project.

;-)

The Pezman
10-12-2007, 04:57 AM
On a related note, one of the things I said at the beginning of VotL was that I wanted every song to be OCR-quality in both production and arrangement. I think at worst we may have a couple songs that would be borderline votes, but the vast majority would be YES or direct post. I feel that this is one of the best aspects of the project, and a standard that I hope future project leaders will try to follow.
Out of curiosity, then, why haven't more of the songs been posted? I saw the thing with Collision and the ripped ("borrowed") intro, but there are many tracks on the album which have yet to find their way onto OCR. To me, it always seems dissonant to have songs on an OCR-affiliated album which the site itself doesn't approve. And that of course goes for songs on all the other album projects as well.

Last I checked, lossless is lossless.
Monkey's Audio FTW. Its compression is slightly better.

zircon
10-13-2007, 03:11 AM
Out of curiosity, then, why haven't more of the songs been posted? I saw the thing with Collision and the ripped ("borrowed") intro, but there are many tracks on the album which have yet to find their way onto OCR. To me, it always seems dissonant to have songs on an OCR-affiliated album which the site itself doesn't approve. And that of course goes for songs on all the other album projects as well.

We don't post songs that don't get submitted ;) Many people didn't submit their music. We have several more things in the queue from the project that have been YESed, and a few more that are about to be YESed.

Darangen's "Collision" is another story. He didn't tell me or anyone else that he had been inspired by the David Crowder band, had I known I might have been more concerned... I only found out after the release of the project itself.

Moguta
10-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Also I wanted to drop in and tell Bladiator how awesome his track is. Particularly how awesome it is that he covered "Lifestream." Awesome.
Oh, how I so agree. I was disappointed to see no evidence of a Lifestream rendition (oh so ironic considering the project name) since it has always struck me as having such potential to be used in a serenely emotive little rearrangement. And I was even *thinking* piano! Fortunately Bladiator AWESOMELY came to the rescue, hiding that calm evocative melody within his "Various Themes". I only wish that the theme went on for longer. But this pianist knows how to make his medleys go down smooth, so I really cannot complain. :)

Fishy
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Just so you know, myself and AnotherSoundscape started a Lifestream remix for this, but I was feeling crap and couldn't come up with anything at the time. We shall finish it and submit it sometime soon-ish.

anosou
10-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Just so you know, myself and AnotherSoundscape started a Lifestream remix for this, but I was feeling crap and couldn't come up with anything at the time. We shall finish it and submit it sometime soon-ish.

We shall? You didn't tell me! XD
no rly, we shall.

SnappleMan
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Simmer down, Häggström, don't get in over your head. I wouldn't trust Fishy as far as I can throw his mom...

...and have you seen his mom!?

Fishy
10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
You better listen to the snappul man, he tells a mean mom joke otherwise.

anosou
10-18-2007, 11:24 AM
you both have very valid points
and no, I haven't seen his mom :D

Tricklozen
10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I've only gotten the time to listen to it from start to finish once, and it was mostly very good. (I had a few randomly selected tracks on a cheap, portable media player.)

The fade-out endings on some of the songs.. Well.. I recall the fade-out endings gave me some preview-like feeling of the "album," but this was at the start. I have mostly good feelings about how this project turned out.

There were perhaps two or there tracks that gave me a "WTF is this doing in here?" and "err, was this really done by this/these artists?" (in a negative way). That was me being brutally honest.

I'd say I enjoyed 98% (figuratively) of the music; not as fan arrangements, but as music on its own with FF VII as a bonus. Lots of detail, of course, and JENOVA references. Batman. The Adrenalyne Kyck--nice touch with the vocals; a breath of fresh air (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9oxTy7KIAaA).

Oh, and I'm fairly sure there was one Aphex Twin-inspired reference in one song. As I said, I've only listened to it once from start to finish, and some random tracks. IT'S 3H 26M 24S!

Very good! Too many songs, though. ;)

zircon
10-21-2007, 12:36 AM
So, I walked into a Gamestop today and was spending a bit of time browsing, when I heard a familiar song in the background... "Son of Chaos". I had to get closer to the sound system to be sure. I asked the manager who made the playlist, and he said he did, and I asked what it was and he said "oh that's from OCRemix.org!" I asked the second question, of course, because I wasn't sure if he knew the source of the music (hey, some people don't.)

Anyway, I introduced myself and Jill and he was thrilled to have us there. He's apparently a huge fan of OCR and VotL - he grabbed it the day it came out. Other mixes played (while I was there) included "Airships Make Me Happy" and "Adrenalyne Kyck". I'm sure he had more queued up, but I didn't have a lot of time to spare.

Good to know, eh? :)

randomshinichi
10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Consistently better stuff than what I usually find on OCRemix... I love this release already, and mostly because of the Crazy Motorcycle remix (hats off to tefnek, he really captured the spirit on this one, I listen to it all the time - it's great with a subwoofer... I cannot write well enough to convey my feelings of awe for this song. Sadly, these don't carry on to most of the other songs). I think the One Winged Angel remix was very interesting and yet somehow managed to convey the 'omfg you're in trouble' feeling. The only gripe I have with it is that the vocals aren't very clearly enunciated and sometimes feel like they're behind the beat.

Valse for Aeris was way too long. Also everything was legato, so take some tips from J. Strauss II: get more pizzicato in there. This song definitely needed it... otherwise a waltz can become rather boring. Still, it made me think of FF8 and Rinoa, so that elicited a chuckle from me. If you fix some long boring sections I'm sure I'll like it. I don't mind an upbeat Aerith's Theme. Blind's remix JENOVA Celestial had a very nice atmosphere, but he didn't have to stick with the melody all the way, which sounded kinda strange. I think he should have developed the melody in a totally different direction and not just stick to the script. Suco de Melancia also sticks a little too close to the spirit...around 1:20 the song sounds like the soloist who was supposed to play for that section was sleeping and didn't make it on time; 1:50, the vibraphone (electric piano?) solo was too damn short. If you're going to use the standard theme but change the melody just a teeny bit, make it sound like it's a real jam for Christ's sake. No real band would play a solo that lasts 10-20 seconds.

Short Skirts is an awesome, very chuckle-inducing remix of Tifa's Theme. I don't know what more I can say about it, because I like it a lot.

Also, does anybody know if Bladiator is nice enough to provide me with the sheet music for 'Golden Ivories of Gaia'? I especially love 1:13. What's that part called again? Is that part of the Main Theme? 1:50 also was an especially nice arrangement.

anosou
10-21-2007, 06:56 PM
So, I walked into a Gamestop today and was spending a bit of time browsing, when I heard a familiar song in the background... "Son of Chaos". I had to get closer to the sound system to be sure. I asked the manager who made the playlist, and he said he did, and I asked what it was and he said "oh that's from OCRemix.org!" I asked the second question, of course, because I wasn't sure if he knew the source of the music (hey, some people don't.)

Anyway, I introduced myself and Jill and he was thrilled to have us there. He's apparently a huge fan of OCR and VotL - he grabbed it the day it came out. Other mixes played (while I was there) included "Airships Make Me Happy" and "Adrenalyne Kyck". I'm sure he had more queued up, but I didn't have a lot of time to spare.

Woo! :D
I'm so pimping this at my local gamestores (they all know me :( I'm there too much) and see if I can achieve some similar result.

Xaleph
11-07-2007, 11:05 PM

That just made my week - seriously, I'm like trippin' now.

anosou
11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
That just made my week - seriously, I'm like trippin' now.

Well your remix was probably the best one on the project imho. Nice work.

SwordBreaker
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Nice, zircon. It's really cool that more people are noticing what's going on with this community.

Man...Adrynalyne Kyck playing in a local game store...that'll definitely attract attention.

Hale-Bopp
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't remember if I ever posted in this thread or not, but I just wanted to say this project absolutely KILLS. It took some time to let the whole project sort of gestate in my brain, because there's just so many joygasmic, aural sensations to be had. I love it all.

Good work, everyone!!