PDA

View Full Version : OCR00313 - Chrono Trigger 'Team Gato'

Saunders
05-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Chrono Trigger 'Team Gato'

One of the more fun mixes on OC. This mix has some really good music throughout, in varying styles, but the focus is on the dialog going on. It's quite humourous, I suggest it if you want a laugh and not a serious song.
That would be my only qualm actually, while the mix is great for the humour aspect, I really liked the first variation of the theme and would have loved to hear a full mix of that style, sans vocals.
Definitely suggested.

Antonio Pizza
06-10-2002, 04:19 AM
(originally posted Dec. 15, 2001 05:51 PM)

================================
Team Gato (Chrono Trigger)
================================
by Dale North and Mustin. You may remember Dale from such remixes as Chrono Trigger's "HiVoltage" and Super Mario RPG's "Funkfucious". If you're familiar with Mustin, then you probably know his work from such examples as Super Mario Bros. 3's "La Samba de Agua" and Street Fighter Alpha 2's "Sakura's Cherry, Blossom."

10 slices. Right off the bat, I'm gonna say it. TEN FUCKING SLICES! The Gato theme lasts about 9 seconds in the actual game. Dale and Mustin stretched it to over 5 minutes. Five minutes, ten seconds to be exact. I love this mix. It's one of my absolute favorites. It's sick, it humorous, it tells a story, it sounds like an idea from a vault deep in the back of my deranged mind.

The first 30 seconds sets the atmosphere of a talent show or a Vegas lounge or something of the sort. The announcer introduces the "team" and your met with a lone flute slowly playing the Gato theme. It's got a Japanese feel to it. I can see some guy dressed in traditional womens robes (as women weren't allowed to act in traditional plays) moving his limbs in a Taelon-like flow. At 0:50 the flute gets a little backup with some violins (forgive me, I know shit about music and I know that these fucked up instrument descriptions are butchering the song, so bear with me!) and bass from another flute. At 1:21 the humor starts. It knocks you the hell out of your sanctuary of inner peace created by the beautiful rearrangements of the previous 51 seconds and forces you to laugh while simultaneously asking, "What the fuck?"

Team Gato is booed and they move on to a 44 second boy-band rendition of the theme starting at about 1:44. The sad thing is, Dale and Mustin produced a 44 second snippet of what sounds like a "boy band love song" that sounds a HELLUVA lot better than real boy band love songs! It's beautiful! Unfortunately, the audience doesn't agree and they receive more boos.

At 2:34, the Remix moves into it's R&B stage, complete with mandatory telephone interlude. You've got the blindly-in-love, hoplessly-addicted-to-your-body gullible female, and you've got Gato; a smooth, laid back, southernplayalisticfunkycadillacmuzik type playa. At 3:05, the lyrics start. My favorite part of this section has got to be the soft electric piano/xylophone type thingy that appears starting at 3:09. Okay, so I'm sick. But three words: Hoe, Lee, Sheeit.

After being booed and jeered three times, Team Gato decides at 3:47 to go to plan D. Gangsta rap. After being properly introduced with "Uh-oh. Here comes trouble!", you're left with 10 seconds to recouperate from laughing and to wonder what Dale and Mustin will do next.

**CAUTION** Do not drink milk while listening to the last 73 seconds of the song. It is guaranteed to come through your nose.

Apparently, Snoop Dogg and Master P were Team Gato all along. They recite the Chrono Trigger lyrics, but after a little adlibing, "Snoop" breaks into a freestyle at 4:35 and ends it with a piece of MC Ren's verse from "Fuck tha Police." They even censored it for the kiddies! (except for "Beeatch!")

A record scratches, the crowd is pissed and the MC orders them off of the stage.

Joining "Water Warning Remix," Dale North and Mustin's "Team Gato" is another of the select few that shows what OC ReMix is all about. This is arguably the most creative and inventive song on the site thus far. Why? They made a play out of it, dammit! It takes a 9 second song and makes it over 34 times longer with ZERO sacrifice on quality. It's just...it's really fuckin' good work. Hell, there's stuff I didn't even cover. The handsome basslines, the top notch production quality of all four skits, how you don't get bored once. Okay, now I'm rambling and there's another song to get to. In summary...10 slices, fandamntastic, unprecedented, unbelievable, unnotlistentoable. An OC classic. Period.

Moving on...

Folks, these opinions are just that. I ain't a remixer. I'm a listener. But if you've been a regular visitor to the message boards since July 10th of 2001, you already know that. Please, listen to this more than once before you make your own opinions. Listen to it through decent speakers. And keep comin' back.

Kudos to Dale North and Mustin.
Well done gentlemen, well done.

DarkCecil13
06-10-2002, 05:10 AM
Ahhh, yes, Team Gato is quite a classic. Strongly recommended, it's hilarious :)

Fieari
06-10-2002, 08:16 PM
I remember reading earlier that the entire set of vocals was done by two guys. I was FLOORED to hear that the black chick was actually a guy doing falsetto! It sounds SO REAL! The quality is AMAZING! And the way they worked the lyrics into that phone call! Brilliance!

I seem to remember that Gato had two songs... the one they sing in this Mix, and then another song when you finally beat him up and he gives you your 15 silver points. If they had added that one to the end, it might have made this even funnier... but I might even be wrong, and there wasn't any more. I'd have to go play again.

I have to go back to giving out mad props now. The "WhooooaAAA!" sound effects in the R&B section... also amazing quality! That section has to be my favorite, followed by the boy band one (Antonio wasn't kidding when he said that they did boy bands better than actual boy bands...) and then the other two. I wouldn't have minded if they had actually extended each version out longer! Anyway, the R&B version is my favorite, esspecially because the lyrics contrast so STARKLY with the mood! It feels like this deep... intimate love song... and he's singin'.... "Beat me up and earn 15 silver points..."

DarkSeraph1
06-20-2002, 05:02 AM
HOLY SHIT! You've got to get this, it's like omfg, weird. But really good weird, it's hilarious. I remember when i was younger and i played CT first time, i used to sing the lyrics to the tune, and these guys have totally done it the way i would have, goob job guys, Mustin always pulls funny crap in his songs, it's awesome. A must download.

DarynLuna
07-17-2002, 06:34 AM
I suggest playing Chrono Trigger before getting this remix. It will help with the humor value. However, aside from that, I was so surprised when I first heard this that people actually had the 'amazingness' to perform this...And then do different versions of it! I was like 'KickaHAHAHAHAHHAA' the HAHAHAHAHA because it was so damnded funny. The nostalgia hit me too, man, remembering back when I was a young lad and I spent all my days beating up Gato for Silver points. Ahh...

11 out of 10, the extra point goes to convincing me that the woman talking to Gato was a real woman because I had no idea and even after hearing that it was done by only two guys, I thought they may have asked some woman to help them with this.

The last bit's the best, of course.

MegaManFan
07-18-2002, 02:22 AM
For anybody who professes to be a n00b to this site or these boards, this is perhaps one of the three or four MOST definitive remixes on the site in terms of what OCR should be about. If you know nothing about Chrono Trigger, you'll laugh; if you know anything about Chrono Trigger you'll laugh even harder. The Gato Team took what was basically a throw away melody from the original game with some (I'm guessing) poorly translated lyrics that couldn't possibly be sung to it even if the SNES game HAD vocalizations (if you haven't played it, trust me it doesn't, this long predates FFX) and somehow in their demented brains cooked up a way to not only play the melody in a way it COULD be sung to but actually DO sing to it, in a HILARIOUS multitude of different styles which AntonioPizza described so well. The sad part is that this song isn't just funny, it's really damn catchy! Even months after I heard it the first time I'd still catch myself rambling around the apartment, humming "myyy name is gahhh-toe, I have metal joyyynce" when I was bored or in need of a quick video game fix. I nearly drove my wife insane with it. Try this sometime: go to a video game or comic book convention, start singing the "we're a renaissance festival band" version from the beginning, and see how many people either (a) smile politely and ignore you (b) back away from the crazy person or (c) chuckle, grin, and nod. Anybody who does (c) is obviously both a gamer and a fan of OCR. :)

-- MMF

Lakilelet
08-17-2002, 02:04 AM
Lyrics are a spoiler for the musical appetite. This theme gets way too many variations, which were probably being debated between the two artists when they decided to hell with it, let's do them all! The real perk is at the end with the highly awesome rapping music, with words that just ... fit! So true to the genre! Top quality!

FireBug2X
08-17-2002, 04:09 AM
Innovative and fun.I really admire this remixers knack for setting a mood in the song.He is obviously stlye and genre savy...and knows how to pull it off with out ripping it apart.The overall track is nice,funny,and a must hear.I feel bad for team gato...when will that bastard audience give them some props?!!!!...

8*'s out of a possible 10 "INNOVATIVE AND FUN"

Shhteve
10-02-2002, 06:51 AM
I always thought these guys were goofballs, especially when I first heard this song, I was completely convinced. But I must say that I loved every second of this track, all the way to the very end. :lol:

Hobbes
10-03-2002, 01:15 AM
This song just gets better and better as you listen to it. The idea was great to begin with, and thankfully it was executed extremely well. My favorite sequences are the last two, with the "boy band" and then the rapping. If you don't get the song because you haven't played Crono Trigger yet, shame on you! Go play the game, and the come back and listen to thing. You will appreciate it all that much more. Not to mention that you will be getting one helluva RPG experience :)

ella guro
10-04-2002, 12:06 AM
Mustin and Dale North have never been the best voice actors (see the Zelda 2002 remix on their site), but the humor and the sheer awesomeness of the ideas and the variation more than makes up for it, and makes it the best remix on the site, imo. It also seems to get progressively better for me, with each section sort of improving upon itself, until the rap one which just cracks me up every time he says "If you think you can take me, I'd like to see you try...BIATCH!". And with the addition of the little giggles and groans (also the person saying "Uh-oh, here comes trouble") makes it even more worth listening to everytime. Simply a classic remix...

MB
10-09-2002, 09:19 PM
:lol:

this mix scares me.

Asterin
11-14-2002, 07:06 AM
scary, but...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

I love it!

TheWired
12-04-2002, 04:13 AM
Save me
this is uberweird.

Ingonyama
02-27-2003, 08:56 PM
:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

I HATED Gato when first I played CT, and STILL I used to sing along with his theme. I managed to get over it in time for the Lucca's house scene in Cross (I actually cried then, if you can believe it) but his song just...just brings it all out again!

This one ranks right up there with the "Recruit Gato" cheat I saw somewhere...once...as Weirdest-Ever Gato Homage.

Vagrant_D
03-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Funny. Cheers to Dale, and Cheers to Mustin. And cheers to Gato, who made it all possible. It's not about the points. It's about the lesson of love and eternal prosperity that the giant hunk of belly boxin' metal is trying to teach us..........er.....it's there somewhere......Yeah.....Hell, we all killed him too quick to learn it.

Recruit Gato? .

Carrie-san
03-06-2003, 01:59 AM
I hated gato.hated. hated with a capital h. but i've grown to love him, crazy metal bastard. this song is just what i could picture happening to gato at a kareoke lounge. i usedta sing with his theme too..heh. this remix..this remix..oh lord,where to begin? the tune rocks, the singing doubled me over laughing, and i..well..damn,good job. gimmie my silver points and i'll be on my way..

Freddie
03-31-2003, 03:30 PM
This is one of the funniest remixes Ive ever heard. Oh my God... I laughed like hell somewhere 'round "Hey, cmon, Chrono, Im not gonna fight you, lets go and smoke this joint". :D

maplejet
05-05-2003, 03:52 PM
:|
Um. Yeah. This remix is definitely insane. I didn't really enjoy this remix, especially the added lyrics. It just wasn't continuous. Almost every time the lyrics were completed, there was a ton of booing and the music stopped.

If you are into something funny, you might enjoy this. But if you want just regular remixes, I suggest staying away from this one.

Kamikaze Noodle
05-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Oh man, there you have it folks. It looks like there IS someone on this planet who doesn't like this song. The condolences of all OCR members are with you, sad fellow.
I personally love this song to the core of my soul. It's so clever it burns. Well, not really, but it is one of the most creative things on this site. Taking a nine second song and making it last as long as it does without being boring. It's what OCR is all about.

Daev
05-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Have you guys seen the Chrono Trigger OAV? Highlights:
-the Millennial Fair run by monsters
-Gato going berserk while sing this song over and over again!

It's that second part that really stuck with me, of course. He's singing Japanese, and his name is Gonzalez instead of Gato, but other than that the lyrics are basically the same as in the ReMix, and it's actually pretty funny. To be honest, I felt like this mix was much less creative and original after I watched the OAV.

Gadien42
05-05-2003, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't quite call this very musical, but it's innovative. The whole being in a talent show style is annoying, in my opinion, since it's not that funny. The rap was funny, and the switching of music styles is simply fun (and well arranged!), but did we really need the booing and the announcer? I dunno, maybe there should be two versions of this. Good for a laugh overall, though, and not too bad even not for comedic value.

Toasty!
05-06-2003, 06:11 PM
It's that second part that really stuck with me, of course. He's singing Japanese, and his name is Gonzalez instead of Gato, but other than that the lyrics are basically the same as in the ReMix, and it's actually pretty funny. To be honest, I felt like this mix was much less creative and original after I watched the OAV.
The lyrics in the remix are from the actual game.

commanderkoo
05-23-2003, 02:53 AM
I've had this played on loop for like, 10+ times now. The arrangement is fantastic... each one of those segments would have made a great remix... esp the last segmant lol.

Alot of people complain about the talent show theme, but i think that there was simply not enough lyrics, nor enough from the original melody to stretch out into a full length song. Keep in mind that the original song Gato sang was only 20 or so seconds.

and once again, awesome job with the arrangement, I'll wager that it was most likely Dale that did it. Love your work, dude.

Gnam
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
LMAO! Mustin is a frickin psycho! This remix/skit was awesome. Back when I used to play Chrono Trigger, I always wondered how Gato's text was supposed to go with the song playing in the background when he told you to "beat me up earn 15 silver points). I think my sister and I even tried to sing it to ourselves a few times. Now my question is answered.

Now, besides the creativity and skill required to write all of these seperate peices, and then perform them, as well as he sense of humor of coming up with the idea in the first place, the thing that really surprises me is the quality of the "skit" portions, with the crowd, the anouncer, etc. It was there in Mustin's Needles Mega Man 3 collaboration, and it's there in this remix. It's not only a good job with the music, but it's a good job with the acting and general production of the intro and outros used to set up the mix. I could easily see it as a skit on Saturday Night Live (if the general public would ever actually get video game in-jokes). Good job guys.

Mustin
07-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Two people post
misplace the credit
Now I have to post
and make a clear edit
It's Dale North and Mustin
the title is quite true
We did equal amounts of work
and now you know, dude
So make sure you give credit
where credit it is due
Dale North and Mustin
bringin' it all do you

BEYOTCH!BEYOTCH!BEYOTCH!

Jythier
07-11-2003, 08:33 PM
I remember playing Chrono Trigger... I'd fight that big hunk of metal over and over again to get those 15 Silver Points... this remix captures the feel of doing something over and over again, without actually being the same thing over and over. The last style cracked me up too. Hillarious.

ObeySteve
07-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Very impressive song. The mix of genres and rather talented voice acting/singing/rapping makes it that much more interesting. Well done, probably the best CT remix on the site.

Blake
10-24-2003, 04:19 AM
I remember playing Chrono Trigger... I'd fight that big hunk of metal over and over again to get those 15 Silver Points... this remix captures the feel of doing something over and over again, without actually being the same thing over and over. The last style cracked me up too. Hillarious.

Wow I agree kinda.

Just like fighting Gato over and over again lol this is sorta like background music when you keep fighting him over and over.

Brilliant.

snarfoogle
11-27-2003, 01:23 AM
I have seen once, on the infinite reaches of this board, Dale or Mustin mentioning the possibilty of Team Gato 2. After seeing the CT OVA, I am more convinced than ever it should happen. With bilingual lyrics. And "You're so weak, and I'm so strong, I knocked your lights out, now run along."

It would be the king of OCR.

"Ah Gonalez!"

Tacitus
12-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Genius. Sheer creative genius. Two thumbs up, and a hearty recommendation to all those who love excellent remixing.

Still, I have two issues with this mix. First off, the song doesn't include the lyrics "I lost, you won, here's fifteen silver points, wasn't that fun?" anywhere, and there's so many musical genre's the band didn't explore, like Country...Soul...Flemish folk dancing...I dunno, I guess I'm saying that these guys coulda done a little more...

It remains an excellent mix, however, dispite my grumblings.

Zaphlin
02-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Lol... well, this mix is definitely... different :D

CTPhoenix
03-22-2004, 12:35 AM
DL this, listen to it ONCE, and throw it away knowing that there are some truly f***ed up people in this world.

trentonx
04-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Just to tell you I won't say what I LOVE about this mix in this post because it's pretty much been sum up in 3 pages by people before me. What I do want to say is I don't understand why some people are saying this song is funny and nothing else. Before you make a jugment like that really listen to the music they play, they do some mad cool stuff. Please people, the music in this song is what makes it so good, without it, it wouldn't be good.

summary? Bad music = Bad remixes, lirics or not.

This does not impilie when it comes to this re-mix.

Lord Veovis
04-05-2004, 03:06 AM
The song's mildly amusing until 3'48 when the rap starts. That's when I began to laugh. Hard. Every second of the rapping had me laughing till it hurts. I give it 7/10

Viperzshadow
06-15-2004, 02:09 AM
From the phone conversation to the end I couldn't stop laughing. Where do you guys get these ideas anyway?

8.3/10

Dahlia
08-27-2004, 05:57 AM
My first experience with "Team Gato" is certainly one of the few times I've laughed that hard in my life.

Brilliant work, guys.

DJ Riott
08-28-2004, 03:57 AM
Haha, a comedic classic. My favorite part is the phone conv.. so true.. sniff.

Great work dudes, but i do miss the second half of the gato song...

Sefy
10-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Just a word: LOL!!! :lol: I wanna see the lyrics!!

Cubie_J
12-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Hahaha! That's a hilarious mix. Gato's my hero. xD I loved the different styles for his little ditty.

benevolensaurus
01-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Ahahaha this has got to be one of the funniest mixes on this site... many ROFLs...

Wanderer
04-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Well, this is awesome. The song is actually rather beautiful in the beginning, I often replay the section from 1:57 to 2:26 because I thought you guys cut it off too soon, I would listen to an entire song of that style.

And that rap section. Music of My Groin didn't make me laugh at all, but I was rolling when this came in. A remix of pure genius. Needs a sequel pronto!

Navi
04-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Surprising that I haven't written a review of this, considering it has been one of my favorite OCRs for a long time now. Mustin and Dale, two powerhouses in the Remix scene, with an awesome blend of comedy and damn good music. I love the Ice Cube inspired section. This is a classic - a staple of OCR and a milestone in Dale and Mustin's gratuitous remixing career (along with Needles).

A must download.

Bummer
09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
For being a robot that has getting his butt kicked as a daily job, he can sing. Its was just a matter of tough crowd. But he did try everything,(or was it mustin and dale?) he tried rap, choir and the usual, but no result.
Let us all learn something from this: If youre going to stand up for some karaoke, get some real good lyrics.
Oh wait, that wasnt a sensmoral, that was a statement.
Oh well.
Thanks dudes for this unusual and funny remix.

YearXero
10-02-2005, 02:18 PM
This was a excellent idea, and a great mix, to say the least. It gets a definite 9/10

BTW, for those who were asking, here's the lyrics:

(crowd noise)
[Announcer] Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together and give a warm welcome to: Team Gato
(applause)

First Part
My name is Gato, I have metal joints.
Beat me up and win fifteen silver points.
(boos and laughs)

Second Part
They call me Gato, I have metal joints.
Beat me up and earn fifteen silver points.
They call me- (interrupted by crowd booing)

Third Part
(phone rings)
[Chick] Hello?
[Gato] What's up, girl?
[Chick] Gato, is that you?
[Gato] You know I'll always love you. 'N' you know I got some metal joints. Are you ready? So, let's go.
[Chick] Oh, Gato.
(YEAH) C'mon C'mon.
They call me Gato (Gato), I have metal joints.
Beat me up, and earn fifteen silver points (WHOA).
They call me Gato, well I have metal joints.
Beat me up, and earn fifteen silver points.
(Slight moan and a chuckle, followed by more booing and laughing)

Fourth Part
[Woman] Uh-oh, here comes trouble.
Biatch! (echoes). Yeah, Yeah-ee.
Hi, my name is Gato (groan).
I got metal joints (Yeah).
Beat me up and earn silver points (What!?).
Beat me up and earn silver points (Yeh).
Do ya think you can take me? (uh-uh)
I'd like to see ya try - BIATCH! (echoes)
You know you wanna earn some silver points (groan).
Yo, that little [blank] Crono. (Yeah, Yeah-ee)
He says to me, says, "Gato! Give up your silver points!" (Hmm)
I says, "Crono, I ain't fighting you amigo.
So put down (What?) your sword and let's smoke this joint."
He says, (groan) "[Blank] get your own, I just want my points.
And (What?) to get my points, I'm gonna beat you up."
I says, "Put down the sword, so you can see what's up,
And we'll go at it, punk, I'm gonna [blank] you up!" (Yeah, Yeah-ee)

(music stops abruptly and crowd boos)
[Announcer] That's it, you guys are outta here!

words within parenthesis throughout last part are the background voice... ignore those if you want.

AlexTheGreyWolfe
10-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I liked the third part the most.

Audity
10-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Uh, I thought it was "[Blank] your joint; I just want my points."

WolverineDK
11-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Its a great song in my mind :)

and the intro reminds me the voice that presents Chef Taco the octopus from 8legged.com

Baruch - Vampire Lord
03-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Put down the sword, so you can see what's up,
And we'll go at it, punk, I'm gonna [blank] you up! Wow. Just Wow. Gato is never going to look the same to me again. The first time I heard this I swore it would never grace my media player again, but it found its way back and the more I listen the more I laugh. The third and fourth parts are the best.

edit:"[Blank] get your own, I just want my points. I think it is actually 'forget your joint.' Anywho, I figured I would point that out. Back to you, Tom.

AL7
03-29-2006, 12:50 AM
I saw Gato for the first time when i was 8 or 9, and Ever since that day ive been singin tho all to familiar words to that music, its about time you guys with the skills made a song for him ^_^ AMAZING JOB GUYS!

Broken
03-30-2006, 02:32 AM
I always thought this mix was very clever. The lyrics make me laugh every time I listen too it, but I think that each part that the song is split into (the four verse thingys) captures the style of music that it's going after (or more parodies it) perfectly. That is the best part. I wish some (not all) of the background noise was left out so that it would sound more like a real song though.

yellowcrunvky
12-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I've long since memorized the lyrics...and it's DEFINATELY "[Blank]your joint, I just want my points."...
8/10

about:blank
12-31-2006, 03:14 PM
This cracks me up every time I hear it. I can't help but laugh when I hear the phone conversation with "Gato" and the girl, or the part at 3:47 with the extremely old school hip hop strings.

The concept of having it take place as like a kareoke night in a bar is really creative. Good stuff.

muzikal-phoenix
01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
the first time i heard this i was kinda skeptic...

then i listened...more and more.
this thing had me in stitches! i cant help laughing!

"BOOO!" lmao gud stuff :D

metaphist
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
The NWA throwback at the end had me falling down. Too good.

Indrik
03-08-2007, 01:17 AM
That was silly. XD

Who did the voice for the woman that Gato called during that part towards the end? 3rd to last segment I think.

DragonFireKai
03-21-2007, 09:13 PM
This is by far the most entertaining song on the site. Blows Music of My Groin away.

HoboKa
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
What inspired you to make this song? It's original, it's good and it's got style, but why the booing?? I liked it T_T

Blake
03-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Bumping this review thread for great justice. Awesome song.

Kojius
08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Oh my... How did I ever miss this one? Why did you people NOT inform me of this one, knowing how hilarious I always thought Gato was!

Well if you're like me, and you've been living under a rock all this time, download this, right now. (A warning; if you've NOT played Chrono Trigger, you probably will not find this very funny at all.)

I absolutely love the arbitrary insanity. The only thing I might change, would be to make it more... hmm... Spontanious. It kind of lulls for a while each time it changes style.

Imagine tuning a radio, spinning the dial, and on EVERY station that came in, there would be some weird-ass Gato-related song. You would pause for a moment to listen, then switch instantaneously. This would be more "in-your-face", and would bombard the listener with more hilarity than they could handle, rather than giving them a moment to recover each time.

Awesome...

MechaFone
12-08-2007, 09:16 PM
A few years before I heard this song, I downloaded Chrono Trigger for use with an emulator. I didn't get very far (>.<) but I -did- get to hear Gato's theme. That's why I can safely say that this song was so freakin' brilliant that it had me laughing the whole way through. Most definitely among my top five.

Ciel
12-10-2007, 07:14 AM
a legend fff

squiike
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah this is an oldie, a extremly creative and orginal song of Gato's with humor and finesse.

i got the old verson, wich has some dialoge as it goes to this smoothe boy band style

*telephone*
hello?
wha zup girl
gato is that you?
you know ill always love you
you know i got some metal joints!
are you ready?
so lets go
oh gato

=D

Anyways, i noticed that the sounds from the audience(laughter) is ripped from the movie "Ghost World" =D right after they exits the school on their graduation XD

my favorite oc song! great work dale & mustin!

...Has it been 5 YEARS already!?! damn im getting old =E

drome_mc
02-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Dale, Mustin, I want to personally thank you both for changing my life.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Marmiduke
02-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Confession: I didn't laugh.
I'm not a fan of "theatre" mixes at all. I think they pollute the music while putting too much emphasis on telling a story or being funny. Mustin has another remix that was put up a little before this one called 'Needles' which does a similar thing; meshes a medley and a narrative into something that combines quite awkwardly and detracts from what is really quite exceptional music.
In this mix, 'Team Gato' especially there is some amazing, competent pieces of music in there. The first two pieces are up to standard with LOT of higher caliber standalone mixes. While the general consensus seems to be that the last segment is the best, my opinion is that it is the most generic and unoriginal of them all.

No, I didn't find it funny. I think comedy can have a place in mixes, however (Niggaz 4 Life, I Got the Spacebeam, even Music of My Groin) but those mixes have the music as their top priority. This remix sounds like the concept was concieved before the music was, which is not a great way to create. And even despite that, the music is pretty great, just mired by the heavy conceptual stuff.

Liontamer
02-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Confession: I didn't laugh.
I'm not a fan of "theatre" mixes at all. I think they pollute the music while putting too much emphasis on telling a story or being funny. Mustin has another remix that was put up a little before this one called 'Needles' which does a similar thing; meshes a medley and a narrative into something that combines quite awkwardly and detracts from what is really quite exceptional music.
In this mix, 'Team Gato' especially there is some amazing, competent pieces of music in there. The first two pieces are up to standard with LOT of higher caliber standalone mixes. While the general consensus seems to be that the last segment is the best, my opinion is that it is the most generic and unoriginal of them all.

No, I didn't find it funny. I think comedy can have a place in mixes, however (Niggaz 4 Life, I Got the Spacebeam, even Music of My Groin) but those mixes have the music as their top priority. This remix sounds like the concept was concieved before the music was, which is not a great way to create. And even despite that, the music is pretty great, just mired by the heavy conceptual stuff.

HAHAHAHA! I couldn't disagree more with this. There's nothing inherently wrong with including audio drama stuff in a ReMix. Even if you weren't feeling it, "Team Gato" is the stuff of legends. And then saying the same complaint about "Needles"? :lol: Nuh-uh.

Salluz
05-21-2009, 07:09 AM
One of my favorite mixes, way before I joined OCR.

Absolutely brilliant, man. The thing that made me laugh most was the fact that the theme was deemed so terribly (IMO?) that there was no good way to remix it. We went from opera to hip hop in one piece and it all made sense.

I still can't get over the RnB phone call + Master P's "ugh".

yosefu
06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
This is a pretty funkay tune. The lyrics are just so awsome

Polo
08-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Rough breakdown of each section:

1st - Sounds like something I'd hear at the Cherry Blossom Festival. The flute's a hypnotic lure, and the progressional backup instruments make the whole vibe dreamy. Even the "sad" key at 1:05-1:21 is addicting.

2nd - It begins like a star-studded, flashy nightclub, then turns heavenly when presenting all manners of strings. The ending is boisterously baller thanks to that audience member going "Aw, come on!" and the fact that the booing CUTS OFF Team Gato's second rendition.

3rd - The violin sets a melodramatic mood - a fitting precursor to the phone conversation. "You know I got some metal joints" is so full of innuendos. Backup voices add plenty of warmth, especially at 3:27's "joints." Steamy.

4th - A crazy pizzicato, gooey bass, and sharp, rap-based synth set the comical rivalry/animosity between Crono and Gato. 4:16 presents some outlandish pads like a respite before the face-off. "And we'll go at it, punk" sounds like the definitive "it's on" trigger.

All my Silver Points are belong to this.

OA
08-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Legendary song.

All of the variations are excellent and creative, but the phone call intro of the third variation is beyond epic. "You know i'll always love you... you know I have metal joints..."

Nothing but love for this track. :-)

DaleNorth
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I have seen once, on the infinite reaches of this board, Dale or Mustin mentioning the possibilty of Team Gato 2. After seeing the CT OVA, I am more convinced than ever it should happen. With bilingual lyrics. And "You're so weak, and I'm so strong, I knocked your lights out, now run along."

It would be the king of OCR.

"Ah Gonalez!"

A Team Gato 2 would be amazing...