OverClocked ReMix Forums

OverClocked ReMix Forums (http://ocremix.org/forums/index.php)
-   Community (http://ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29814)

LuIzA 02-20-2012 05:15 PM

That and every time you started playing the game on another day, you'd get the description for each treasure you collected again, even if it wasn't new.

liquid wind 02-20-2012 05:39 PM

That's even worse from a design standpoint because everyone already complained about rupees doing that in TP, there's no reason for them to have thought that would be a good idea that everyone wouldn't hate

This game makes me angry with things like that because I WANT to love it, on the story and presentation side I think it's the best Zelda in a long time, the art style might be my favorite in the whole series, but it has -so- much bad game design...

LuIzA 02-20-2012 05:58 PM

To be honest, I don't think this had any better of a story than any other Zelda game.
And despite everybody's love for the art style, it really just seemed like an excuse for the wii's limitations to me. The tree in Faron Woods come to mind, and how they have "billboards" for branches/leaves. And yes, I did love WW's art as well as TP.
I also didn't particularly like the whole sky thing and how you can't go from Faron to Eldin (for example) without going back to the sky first. I'll take exploring with Epona over flying to holes in the clouds with a giant bird any day.

EC2151 02-20-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixelPanic (Post 841524)
Let's not forget about Ashe busting in with a ROCKET LAUNCHER.

too bad the resistance in that game was like, the biggest useless pile of fucks in any Zelda game ever.

I mean, no one in any Zelda game ever does anything except for Link, Zelda, and Ganon, but these guys did nothing yet the game treated them like they were huge heroes and a big help to Link.

I actually kind of hoped that when the castle just up and exploded, the resistance was caught up in that explosion.

Bahamut 02-20-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuIzA (Post 843542)
To be honest, I don't think this had any better of a story than any other Zelda game.
And despite everybody's love for the art style, it really just seemed like an excuse for the wii's limitations to me. The tree in Faron Woods come to mind, and how they have "billboards" for branches/leaves. And yes, I did love WW's art as well as TP.
I also didn't particularly like the whole sky thing and how you can't go from Faron to Eldin (for example) without going back to the sky first. I'll take exploring with Epona over flying to holes in the clouds with a giant bird any day.

I felt like that was a cop-out by Nintendo to decrease how massive the world could become.

LuIzA 02-20-2012 06:24 PM

Yeah, I heard something about that. But IMHO, I liked it massive, like in TP.

liquid wind 02-20-2012 06:35 PM

The sky was definitely a disappointment, both in segregating the surface regions and because the sky itself was very underdeveloped. Really not much to do other than track down goddess cube chests and a few things at the lumpy pumpkin, I think there was much more potential there

I think I like the story more than WW and TP but it isn't saying too much, MM and LA are the best games in the series in that regard IMO

The art style could be seen as covering the Wii's limitations but I'm not sure that even makes sense, the textures in a lot of places actually look worse than what you might see in TP. I like the concept behind it but it does have obvious technical issues

LuIzA 02-21-2012 02:16 PM

Yeah, the only village, so to speak, in the game was Skyloft. Really makes the sky uninteresting. I thought the sea in WW much more... immersing?

Red Shadow 02-23-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuIzA (Post 843574)
But IMHO, I liked it massive, like in TP.

y'all make my job waaaaay too easy sometimes

Xarnax42 03-10-2012 07:15 AM

Finally got a chance to finish this and did so this morning. Hadn't even looked in this thread yet because I wanted to avoid any and all spoilers.

Absolutely loved this. I was mildly bothered by the same things that everyone else has brought up (too much unnecessary text - be it at the bazaar or finding items I'm already familiar with or obvious observations by Fi, forced clues that I didn't need/want, and just a touch too much flying, and the same boss battle three times,) but the things they did right more than made up for it.

I could post plenty about what I enjoyed, but it would mostly just be reiterating what's already been said. A couple points, though:

What really made this stand out from other entries in the series was the story -- not necessarily the plot itself, which was fairly solid if formulaic, but the WAY it was told. The characters had far more nuance and personality than I remember ever seeing before. There were so many little touches that made the narrative engrossing. For example, I knew I was going to love immersing myself in this world with the little note after I got the sailcloth: "(It smells nice, too!)" I was also blown away by the localization, and I'm surprised no one's mentioned it.

Regardless of any compensatory reasons for the art style they chose, the art direction was gorgeous. There were several times, especially in some of the cut scenes that I just really appreciated the visual feast.

As for the music, very few standout memorable tracks, but most of it did a great job to support the environment. The cut scenes again were notable, as they made the most use of the orchestra.
I wasn't humming this track the next day, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFvequXpMZw, but I thought it added a ton to the scene.

I think everything else has been covered above. Anyway, fantastic game. A little jealous of you if you're still looking forward to it.