OverClocked ReMix Forums

OverClocked ReMix Forums (http://ocremix.org/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Submission Standards Changes & New Encodings! (http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38885)

Level 99 02-24-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Strader (Post 844520)
The new standards were totally made in support of prog rock, right? Have you posted about it on TheShizz yet, Larry? Are you guys excited about receiving your first 30 minute prog rock piece or are you dreading that day? There's probably a fair deal of people who could make something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-G2WZ1Skvs and sub it to OCR. >:]

Also just to add, maybe I am the only idiot who didn't care that much about his FILE quality, I always just bounced out a 192kbps mp3. I don't even know what VBR1 is...

Quote:

2. We strongly recommend submissions between 2 and 7 minutes in length.
  • Anything longer and evaluation may be delayed.

Considering the time it takes to judge a normal track to be acceptable based on source usage and arrangement, the amount of time it would take to do something longer than 7 minutes would likely exponentially increase time to judge.

The whole idea is that the site is less restricted by cost of data hosting and transfer now, which opens up the quality and length standards to what we now have it set to. If you're going to submit a song that's as long as a Simpson's episode, you should be prepared to wait, possibly.

DjCUTMAN 05-01-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpretzel (Post 843130)
192kbps was previously the maximum bitrate; it is now the minimum

I am so happy about this.

Brandon Strader 05-01-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Level 99 (Post 844580)
[/LIST]If you're going to submit a song that's as long as a Simpson's episode, you should be prepared to wait, possibly.

Woah I totally missed this response before.. Good point. I don't think waiting is that big of an issue at this point, hahaha. I've still got songs from like 2010 waiting to be posted. ;-)

Hopefully when the time comes, the source usage will be mapped out appropriately and it won't be too difficult on the judges. Extra care should be taken on the artist's part to make sure it's not a pain by mapping stuff out. :twisted:

Modus 08-21-2012 02:57 AM

How come the submissions page and encoding guide still don't reflect these changes?

Liontamer 08-21-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modus (Post 878169)
How come the submissions page and encoding guide still don't reflect these changes?

The translated articles need to be updated, but what exactly are you talking about with those main articles? They've been updated from day 1 of that post.

Modus 08-21-2012 05:52 PM

When I click "submit" in the top bar, the page still says:

Quote:

Bitrate must be EITHER 192kbps OR VBR1. Please see Encoding Guidance for more information.
The encoding guide also says:

Quote:

As our Submission Standards and Instructions mention, audio must be 16-bit, 44.1kHz stereo with a bitrate of either:
  • 192kbps (constant or average bitrate) *OR*
  • VBR1 (variable bitrate, quality = 1).

Am I misunderstanding? I thought 192kbs was the minimum bitrate now and we could submit in 320kbs or whatever we want.

Liontamer 08-21-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modus (Post 878316)
When I click "submit" in the top bar, the page still says:

The encoding guide also says:

Am I misunderstanding? I thought 192kbs was the minimum bitrate now and we could submit in 320kbs or whatever we want.

No, you just misunderstood the change. The standards & encoding guide are consistent with what it says in the original post. Those are the encoding standards right now, either 192kbps CBR or V1 VBR. You cannot submit music at 320kbps CBR, that's too high.

Brandon Strader 08-21-2012 07:32 PM

If your music is full enough your VBR1 will average around 256/320 anyway

To make VBR1 mp3 files, you need WinLAME

Modus 08-21-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Strader (Post 878339)
If your music is full enough your VBR1 will average around 256/320 anyway

To make VBR1 mp3 files, you need WinLAME

OK that's a relief. 192kbs is just really low to me.

Liontamer 08-21-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modus (Post 878350)
OK that's a relief. 192kbs is just really low to me.

That's not "really low." :lol: Most can't tell 192 from lossless in ABX testing.