Old 01-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Marcellis Wentz
Eggplant Wizard (+300)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via MSN to chumble spuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Soundscape View Post
Fixing the NamesWithoutSpaces and FFVI/FF6 issues too might be a good idea. Use roman numerals.
Actually, I think using a more computer-friendly convention might be better in this case. It might look weird to see "FF01" but at least it'll sort properly, i.e.10 coming after 9, instead of before 1. (Or alternately, IX coming after V, VI, etc., instead of before.)

Please join us the next two weeks supporting our sponsor, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call™!!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Mattias Häggström Gerdt, THE ANSWER Director, Kaleidoscope Composer
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumble spuzz View Post
Actually, I think using a more computer-friendly convention might be better in this case. It might look weird to see "FF01" but at least it'll sort properly, i.e.10 coming after 9, instead of before 1. (Or alternately, IX coming after V, VI, etc., instead of before.)
The mission of OCR has always been to raise awareness of game music and tribute the original game and music. Using the games original title accomplishes that. We also don't want a fanboy-riot

I see no reason of altering the games original title. If it uses roman numerals it should and vice versa.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Larry Oji, Community Manager, Moderator, Judge
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.B. View Post
You could recruit! http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19642. No difference to me since I'm still Zen Xtra-ing (green and black screen), but if that tiles project doesn't fall through it sounds like you might have folks interested in associating the pics with the remixes.
That could be very cool, just not something that could be done quickly. Maybe around OCR02000 if they idea takes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumble spuzz View Post
Nowadays, I've seen OSes & programs smart enough to understand that filenames with Final_Fantasy_9 come before Final_Fantasy_10, so I think it's OK, but I'll keep an eye on that. As far as the actual tags, don't worry Mattias, Roman numerals where appropriate.

Last edited by Liontamer; 01-10-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Chad Garvin
Mega Man (+1000)

One more name tag to check is "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" vs "TMNT." That is a bitch to find the right remix on my Zen Micro while driving!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChadlyOC View Post
One more name tag to check is "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" vs "TMNT." That is a bitch to find the right remix on my Zen Micro while driving!
Already got that stuff, but thanks. Just for the record, I don't need any help on file renaming or proper game names, just ID3 tag fields we're not using that we should be.

Last edited by Liontamer; 01-10-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
José E. Felix, Media Editor
Mega Man (+1000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I've been meaning to ask - since my only experience is with a Creative Zen - just what systems these different players use to sort and playlist tracks. It's important for me to know before I move on with tagging my own stuff, which WILL happen no matter what, because every brand plays with the tags their own way. For example, album art size must be 200x200 before Zen recognizes it. Also, Zen doesn't sort by "year," although I'm sure others do. On that note, here's my suggestion: fix the songs with missing "year" tags. I'm not sure if the year given is necessarily the year the song was posted, but it makes sense to do that.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 AM
Mother Brain (+4000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Nowadays, I've seen OSes & programs smart enough to understand that filenames with Final_Fantasy_9 come before Final_Fantasy_10, so I think it's OK, but I'll keep an eye on that. As far as the actual tags, don't worry Mattias, Roman numerals where appropriate.
As far as this issue, I'd suggest using digits in the filename but Roman numerals in the ID3 tag. A quick check shows that Windows XP is in fact smart enough to know that 1 < 2-9 < 10+, but the original Final Fantasy isn't tagged as "Final Fantasy 1" so it gets all messed up. It classes numbers as higher than letters alphabetically, so FF1 is AFTER all the other Final Fantasy games. Also, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest get all mixed in with the Final Fantasy 1 games because it sorts all those mixes in with the FF1 songs at "T" and "M" respectively. That leads to another question. While filenames are smart enough to order themselves like that, are MP3 players? Maybe we'd be better off sticking with digits the whole way through to make those sorts of sorting issues nonexistent in any medium.

Another random issue I noticed! There are two Chrono Trigger mixes (KnightsComeMarchingHome and Downwind) that get messed up in order because, unlike any other remix that I'm aware of, they're listed as coming from multiple games. Knights is listed as "Chrono Trigger & FF9", while Downwind is "Chrono Trigger & Xenogears". There are other mixes from multiple unrelated games and they've never done this, so it should probably be standardized to listing the filename only under the "main" game.

OCR mix ID could easily go under track number.... however, this would mean that playing album "http://www.ocremix.org" would automatically sort by mix ID rather than by title, so that's something we'd probably want to avoid unless there was another easy way to sort by game, and I'm not aware of one. Perhaps put it under Disc? My iPod doesn't sort by disc number (something that has annoyed me intensely, actually), just track number within a particular album... Not an ideal solution, but the only one I can think of at the moment.

Either Album Artist/Band or Publisher seems to be a logical place to list the game the mix comes from, but I don't think that there's an option to sort by those fields in most MP3 players, so it'd be a bit pointless as far as that goes. Methinks the best solution for that is to just keep things as-is and have the game be the first part of the title.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Red Mage (+400)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Jovian View Post
As far as this issue, I'd suggest using digits in the filename but Roman numerals in the ID3 tag. A quick check shows that Windows XP is in fact smart enough to know that 1 < 2-9 < 10+, but the original Final Fantasy isn't tagged as "Final Fantasy 1" so it gets all messed up. It classes numbers as higher than letters alphabetically, so FF1 is AFTER all the other Final Fantasy games. Also, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest get all mixed in with the Final Fantasy 1 games because it sorts all those mixes in with the FF1 songs at "T" and "M" respectively. That leads to another question. While filenames are smart enough to order themselves like that, are MP3 players? Maybe we'd be better off sticking with digits the whole way through to make those sorts of sorting issues nonexistent in any medium.
Yeah. While I don't feel too strongly about this really, roman numerals seem to be overly aesthetic. For example, you'll get FF IX coming before FF V. And many things sort by tags (media player's media libraries, iPods). And the original FF songs get thrown everywhere, between & around the numbered games depending on the title. I guess that last issue could be solved by seperating the game name from the track title by a ": " or " - ", but then I've noticed older tracks seem to treat the game name as part of the remix title. :-p Not sure there's any perfect solution here.

Quote:
OCR mix ID could easily go under track number.... however, this would mean that playing album "http://www.ocremix.org" would automatically sort by mix ID rather than by title, so that's something we'd probably want to avoid unless there was another easy way to sort by game, and I'm not aware of one. Perhaps put it under Disc? My iPod doesn't sort by disc number (something that has annoyed me intensely, actually), just track number within a particular album... Not an ideal solution, but the only one I can think of at the moment.
Arg, are you serious? Can you not manually make the iPod sort by title name inside an album? If not, it seems it would be extremely cumbersome to find a specific OCR song on your iPod. Maybe there is no place in the ID3 tags for the mix ID after all. *facepalm*

Concerning album art, there was a recent topic that seems a pretty good candidate. That is, unless Dave has a graphical idea of his own.

Larry, as far as additional ID3 fields that OCR should use, I think we've got 'em all covered so far. That's why you're not seeing any more posts on that issue.

Last edited by Moguta; 01-11-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Yousef Reda
Akuma (+1100)

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulinEther
Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now, track number is used to identify which game of a series the remix is from? Like Castlevania 3 remixes would get a 3 in the track number? Or was that just my media player's fabrication and it's trying to trick me?

Isn't that kind of a waste? There should be something else being put there. And if not, what is being used there really?

Edit: my media player is a deceitful bastard. So... can't something be put there? I want to suggest remix #, but... I think that would be annoying for people whose media players / mp3 players automatically sort an album by track numbers - I personally find it handy that I can find songs from particular games easily because the songs are sorted in alphabetical order by title.. dunno.

Follow me on Youtube - I mean, there can't be that many talentless, lazy-eyed video bloggers out there.

Last edited by SoulinEther; 01-11-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by José the Bronx Rican View Post
fix the songs with missing "year" tags
I dunno where the issue came from, but I believe it's all set. I already knew about it though, but thanks anyway for pointing it out.

Quote:
As far as this issue, I'd suggest using digits in the filename but Roman numerals in the ID3 tag.
That's already the new standard, and I've carried that over to the older stuff.

Quote:
the original Final Fantasy isn't tagged as "Final Fantasy 1" so it gets all messed up. It classes numbers as higher than letters alphabetically, so FF1 is AFTER all the other Final Fantasy games. Also, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest get all mixed in with the Final Fantasy 1 games because it sorts all those mixes in with the FF1 songs at "T" and "M" respectively.
Nah, it's fine. There'll never be a 100% accurate system re: filename/tag sorting. We're OK with what's in place now.

Quote:
Knights is listed as "Chrono Trigger & FF9", while Downwind is "Chrono Trigger & Xenogears".
Way, way ahead of you.

Quote:
Isn't it just as simple as sorting by filename or track title? If not, we may need to reconsider the idea. Someone run a test.

Quote:
Either Album Artist/Band or Publisher seems to be a logical place to list the game the mix comes from, but I don't think that there's an option to sort by those fields in most MP3 players, so it'd be a bit pointless as far as that goes. Methinks the best solution for that is to just keep things as-is and have the game be the first part of the title.
Yep. And there's definitely not even the tiniest bit of reconsideration about the filename or track title styles. Those styles help popularize the mixes the same way the URL as the album popularizes the site. We'd be stupid to change them; they're the way they are for a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moguta View Post
Concerning album art, there was a recent topic that seems a pretty good candidate. That is, unless Dave has a graphical idea of his own.
Yeah, I figure it's Dave's call.