Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Chrono (+800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozovian View Post
Source ok.

Feels a little rushed, perhaps you should drop the tempo slightly. A bpm or two, no more than that It's subtle but it just might be the right fit fot this track, unless you prefer it this way... or faster? :P

It's got some human groove to it now, tho some more dynamics (soft parts, loud parts, swells, and, uh, wanes?) would improve it further.

2:25 transition is not good. The rest of the track flows well.

Can't tell without dling and importing and checking the spectrum myself, but you may have some excess lows in some of the instruments. Don't be afraid to reduce those with eq, it should give you a little more headroom to work with, if you feel you need it.

Keep working on being your own conductor conducting your own orchestra, figure out when the audience need a lighter, softer part and when they can take a bigger, louder part. It's a beautiful arrangement, just gotta be fake-performed right.
Thanks for the comment. Is this an official Mod Review? I get confused because mods often say it is a mod review when they do one

Anyway, I had not thought of lowering the tempo. I'll see if it works!

I need to play a bit more with the volume envelopes for the dynamics. The envelopes I used here were made for the tracks before I played them on a MIDI keyboard. I recorded the piano track with a MIDI keyboard now too, so there's some volume tweaking pending...

I'll check the lower frequencies thing. I probably didn't erase that many lower frequencies due to my headphones.

I actually like the 2:25 transition but I see why it can be a bit hard, since the tempo changes a bit harshly. I'm glad you liked the rest of the track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argle View Post
I think a real violin would sound much better than the sampled one you have. I'd be happy to knock out a recording for you. PM me if interested.
That sounds quite interesting, but I'm afraid that recording only the violin would be a bit odd. Do you have access to more than a violin? The song has a violin, viola (that could be easily replaced by a violin), cello (or contrabass) and a "ensemble" track I use for rhytm sections. If you have any sample of your recording it'd be quite nice too.

If somebody else plays any of the instruments on the track (flute and horn are the wind instruments present) and wants to record, PM me! If I can get a full set, I'd attempt a recorded version of this!

EDIT: Also thanks to oldellonoya for the comment. It's always nice getting them!

Last edited by jnWake; 07-20-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Ad G, Workshop Moderator, Songs of Light and Darkness Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Rozovian Send a message via MSN to Rozovian
imo, if it's good feedback and you trust the person giving it, it shouldn't matter if it's a mod review or even whether that person is a mod or not.

But yes, big official mod review. :D Was doing a whole lot of mod reviews, and I was too lazy to type those nine letters. ;)
Old 08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Chrono (+800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I only asked in case I needed to change the thread tag back to "Finished". I appreciate all feedback of course!

Anyway, I worked a bit more on EQ and instruments placing. Also, I played the piano track with a MIDI controller.

So, this is (for now) the final version of the song:

http://soundcloud.com/jnwake/coin-song-figaro-castle-fv .

Hope you like it!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Garrett A. Williamson
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

The mix feels a little off.

I don't know. More reverb maybe? On the piano and strings and all? Maybe a stronger compressor on the strings and piano? Do you have a limiter on the master track?

Overall the ReMix itself is nice, though.

official site | facebook | soundcloud | youtube | "the beat demon" album - itunes/cdbaby/bandcamp
Old 08-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Chrono (+800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mixer View Post
The mix feels a little off.

I don't know. More reverb maybe? On the piano and strings and all? Maybe a stronger compressor on the strings and piano? Do you have a limiter on the master track?

Overall the ReMix itself is nice, though.
I didn't use much reverb on the piano, that's true. But I tried with more reverb and I didn't like how it sounded... Maybe I can blame ReaVerb for that?

All other instruments have a fair share of reverb. In fact, I was afraid I had used too much reverb lol.

I used compression on most tracks, but not really strong ones. I wanted the mix to sound as natural as possible. I also used a limiter to raise the overall volume.

I'm kinda new to this producing stuff, so thanks for the comments!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Garrett A. Williamson
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I mean, overall, the ReMix is great, but again, the mix is a little weird. Just my advice, though. Everyone has a different ear, honestly. So to some people the mix may be good. It may be the EQ. Again, I really don't know.

official site | facebook | soundcloud | youtube | "the beat demon" album - itunes/cdbaby/bandcamp
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Chrono (+800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Extreme bump!

I reworked this mix with some better sounding samples and hopefully better mixing knowledge than what I had in August.

Link here: https://soundcloud.com/jnwake/final-...-a-waltz-for-a .
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Chrono (+800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Mega extreme bump!

I reworked this again (hopefully for the last time) with better samples than the last version.

I haven't uploaded it to Soundcloud in case I make small adjustments but I uploaded it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lg-55EXD68

Hope you like it!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Tom H

I liked this, the sounds were really nice and the mix between the two songs works well.

I think a very light percussion section would have made a nice addition but I don't want to intrude on your idea.