ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on patreon

Sponsors: Bart Verbeek, Cynical Brit, Matt (aka Antidragon), Michael Beauchamp, Wesley "Bahamut" Cho.. + hundreds of supporters! Thanks!!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Luigi (+2000)

I've been spending a lot of time at a specific linkshell's forum and I'll be joining them when version 2.0 comes out. But here's a question. The group uses a program called mumble which is like team-speak. In other words, what they do is use this secondary program to support voice chat among their group. Since I'll be getting the PS3 version, I'll have to have this program running while I play on the TV. I've been trying to get my wireless headset to connect to my computer but it won't work. I'm going to have to get a different one. Or use the laptop's onboard mic but I don't know if that one will have good enough quality. Keep in mind that I will be playing on PS3 so if I get a headset with a style like this one

I wont be able to hear the game on the TV. What are your suggestions? Is there a way to send the audio from both the computer program and the ps3 to the same head set, or am I going to have to try a different solution.

"I have yet to see an argument that will stand up to Christianity.... And believe me, I've looked." - Myself.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

Why do you need a headset if you're worried about not hearing the sound from the TV? Just get a boom mic then.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Peter
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Crust View Post
I've been spending a lot of time at a specific linkshell's forum and I'll be joining them when version 2.0 comes out. But here's a question. The group uses a program called mumble which is like team-speak. In other words, what they do is use this secondary program to support voice chat among their group. Since I'll be getting the PS3 version, I'll have to have this program running while I play on the TV. I've been trying to get my wireless headset to connect to my computer but it won't work. I'm going to have to get a different one. Or use the laptop's onboard mic but I don't know if that one will have good enough quality. Keep in mind that I will be playing on PS3 so if I get a headset with a style like this one

I wont be able to hear the game on the TV. What are your suggestions? Is there a way to send the audio from both the computer program and the ps3 to the same head set, or am I going to have to try a different solution.
Ever wonder why on your audio there's the blue input/output named "Line in" a lot of the times? I've run game audio into the PC using that before, and I'm guessing it should be possible with the mic port, too (not sure if stereo). You'll probably need some sort of audio adapter to take it from RCA to the 1/8" jack, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-YRA...CA+to+1%2F8%22

You can use your standard AV cable on your PS3 to output audio while video stays on HDMI or whatever. I forget where in settings that all is....

Hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Luigi (+2000)

Hey, rerouting sound from the TV to the laptop. That's a great idea. I was stuck on trying to take the sound from 2 different sources into some specialized headset. This sounds like the solution. Thank you so much.

"I have yet to see an argument that will stand up to Christianity.... And believe me, I've looked." - Myself.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Luigi (+2000)

I've been trying to figure out a way to get tv to audio output to my laptop and I'm thinking that it doesn't have that ability. I've got a strange setup in mind that would work, but I'm going to need some very specific adapters that I don't know the name to. That means I'm going to need your help to get their names. First, I'm going to need one of these.

Anyone know what it's called?

And one of these

Have one so don't worry about it.

And I'm going to need one of these except opposite. Instead of two inputs, I need two outputs. I've seen one somewhere before, but can't seem to find one. Is there a specific name for it?

And finally, I'm going to need a headset that isn't usb, but rather uses the audio and mic mini input to get it to work. Does anyone know if USB or audio/mic jack has better quality? I'd really appreciate the help.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Red Mage (+400)

I would recommend just getting a mic instead of the headset route in your situation. I'd be the first to agree that headsets usually make more sense but considering your setup and the fact that you've already got a laptop, you might as well just grab a mic, connect it to your laptop and be off to the races. I have a roommate who uses a mic similar to this with mumble and it works like a charm.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Luigi (+2000)

Just talked to a friend who suggested a really simple solution. In order to get sound both from the TV and from a gaming headset, all you really need is 2 sets of audio. Basically, I would listen to the game through ear bud headphones, and I would put the USB gaming headset overtop of the ear buds I'm already wearing. This cuts out a whole lot of problems with trying to get 2 sources to play through the same audio.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

Well, it's been a long while, but there have been a steady slew of alpha test videos and CG trailers released over the past few months, with the latest trailer, A New Beginning, having released today along with the Beta Test Application/Survey page. All previous players who qualified for Legacy status will have access to the Beta starting with Phase 1, while those looking to get into the PS3 Beta test(starting in Phase 3) will have to fill out an application. You can find a .pdf with the current Beta Test roadmap here.

For those who missed the aforementioned videos(including the amazing End of An Era trailer), here they are as follows:

Alpha Test Videos:

Alpha First Look #1: Character Creation

Alpha First Look #2: Gridania

Alpha First Look #3: The Black Shoud I

Alpha First Look #4: The Black Shroud II

Alpha First Look #5: Quests and Combat

Alpha First Look #6: Gathering and Crafting

Alpha First Look #7: Levequests and Party Combat

Alpha First Look #8: Instanced Dungeons

Trailers:

Limit Break

A New Adventure

End of An Era

A New Beginning

Edit - Finally updated the first post. I need to be more responsible about these things.

Last edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys; 01-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Luigi (+2000)

I've also been following it on a linkshell's website. And after watching "A new beginning" trailer (probably the opening cinematic) I have a question. My knowledge of insignias are a bit lacking but, was that a Garlean Flag on the chocobo at 5:52? And does this mean that the empire is joining the Eorzean alliance in opposition to Bahamut?

That being said, with regards to the audio issues I'm having, I've noticed that when I use headphones from the audio output on my TV, the audio is so low. I have to crank my TV up to max volume in order to get a decent sound. Is it because the audio output doesn't push out a lot of power?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Olivier Bariou, Competitions Moderator
Dark Force (+9000)

beta testing for all legacy members, those are good news. i can't wait.