Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
David W. Lloyd, Administrator
Ganon (+8000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

OCR02567 - Metroid Prime 'Relics of an Ancient Race'

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

djpretzel / www.ocremix.org / www.djpretzel.com / anime mixes
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Alex Ku
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

This is a pretty sweet mix.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the super fuzzy snare (I'm assuming it's a snare drum anyway) that appears during 0:33 - 0:54, but it cleans up quickly and doesn't return, even during the acoustic section starting at 3:18 where a similar sort of distant quality is used.

I like the contrast between the all-out recognizable source segments and the gentler fills (that sometimes use recognizable source as well).

Overall, I think it's a really strong mix that has a personality that can be further strengthened in future mixes.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Workshop Moderator
Evil Ryu (+1800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Wow, this was unexpected. I found the judges thoughts interesting. I don't blame anyone if they think it's too liberal. Nearly all of the song references some part of the original, but some of the sections are pretty changed up from the source. I actually thought about writing to the judges and explaining all the parts, but decided I was being paranoid.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Wes M., Double the Trouble! Director
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argle View Post
Wow, this was unexpected. I found the judges thoughts interesting. I don't blame anyone if they think it's too liberal. Nearly all of the song references some part of the original, but some of the sections are pretty changed up from the source. I actually thought about writing to the judges and explaining all the parts, but decided I was being paranoid.
Haha, I'm glad I caught that extra source usage, it's kind of tucked away in the source tune.

Really fantastic work here, I can't praise you enough for this remix. I've been terribly impressed with everything you've done lately, I'd love to work with you on a project someday

· OCR Staff · Judge· Double the Trouble Director · ARMed and DANGerous Co-Assistant Director · Zelda: Ocarina of Time Project Co-Director
Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Mascot Bio Project Co-Editor
Ryu Hayabusa (+700)

Holy crap the beat in this is infectious. Let's see...

You got serious backers like punchy drums, a low shredding guitar, choral/orchestral synths, and what sound like pseudo-gunshots. A number of these swell or are modulated during set spaces, like the latter part of a movement or bar, in order to create emphatic "sit up and take notice" moments, often strung together to bring out the full force of part of the source. Take 0:53-1:15, for example. This chunk, IMO, is what lifts the mix off the ground, sounding suspenseful, Goldeneye-ish, and driving all at once, but still manages to pile on the power and aggression before it's done. You can imagine how I feel about related movements later on (especially 3:38+ with its key change).

2:18+ not only offers a pleasant bell/chime counterbalance to the surrounding potency, but it also eases into TWO MORE attention-grabbing points, one after another: the silent fraction of a second acts as a "wait, wha-" dip in the music, then the Chozo Ruins theme emerges triumphantly with a posse of (aforementioned) hardcore supporters.

I can't get enough of this. Well, well played. *claps*
Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Workshop Moderator
Evil Ryu (+1800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

That's a great write up man. Glad you found a lot of things to like in the mix.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Joshua Pross
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

This may be one of my favorite debuts on the site that I have heard. This was a fantastic, hypnotic beat. During my first listen, I found my eyes closed and the world around me completely shut out, the ending being the only thing that brought me back up. Excited for the future.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Fantastic mix. Most of the time I'm not a huge fan of the Metroid Prime remixes because many of the songs sound like remixes as is. IMHO, it's really hard to do the Metroid Prime songs justice but boy you sure did. Instant download, love it!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 AM
formerly Audix
Little Mac (+900)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Hey man, good to see you around. Can't believe this is your first posted mix. Good stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Workshop Moderator
Evil Ryu (+1800)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sole Signal View Post
Hey man, good to see you around. Can't believe this is your first posted mix. Good stuff.
I just got back into game arrangements this summer after not doing em for years and years.

Tags
ambient, dark, electronic, industrial, synth, tempo-slow