ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Abobo (+600)

But didn't you get that Ditto from PokeGen? I seem to remember you saying you did, maybe I'm misremembering. I have never been able to get that site to work for me.

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Gerry Wheatley, The Missingno Tracks Director
Dark Force (+9000)

No, that one was a trade. I gave up a shiny Blastoise for it. The Blastoise had average stats, so I came out the winner in that one.

The one I mentioned some sort of trick that makes the GTS system on your game think it's trading without actually trading. I've never gotten it to work, because it seems I DON'T INTERNET GOOD NUFF to get it right. I fucking suck at setting up network shit, and my friend who is good at it wouldn't understand why I want this setup.

But, even then, it's still the same as finding one naturally. Let's say we both get a max IV pokemon parent. Mine was from pokegen/whateer system, yours is one you magically found while beating up some random pokes in a cave or field.

Now, we could both use it to breed eggs. The eggs will still have the same chances of getting various stats, and they will still need to be EV trained, leveled up and taught attacks. That part hasn't changed, nor is it necessarily being done quicker/easier.

But just making a perfect stat pokemon and using that? Fuck that, part of the fun is making your team and raising it. If you want straight up battling, there are a few sims that do all the hard tiresome stuff like training out, and just let you fight it out with anyone. If that's what you want, jut go use that and leave the carts to the rest of us.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Double the Trouble! Co-Director
Goomba (+100)

Eh, I wouldn't say IV breeding is difficult... it's just extraordinarily time-consuming, and sadly it's just not for me. I couldn't realistically see myself hatch a buncha eggs and check their individual IVs even if both parents were 31/31/31/31/31/31 and the child was guaranteed the beneficial nature & 31/31/31/x/x/x.

I'm not much of an EV guy either, but earlier tonight I fired up Black for the first time in almost a year for the sole purpose of hatching a good-natured Sandile to EV train. (I've been pretty bored game-wise and wanted to do something Pokémon related, and breeding a couple o' Krookodiles seemed like a good idea). It took over an hour to generate 30 eggs, and it took quite a bit longer than that hatch them all.

I'll occasionally soft-reset to get a beneficial nature for a starter just to make my playthrough a little easier, but for the most part I just play the game to unwind and have fun. I don't battle competitively and I don't see the point in me pouring dozens upon dozens of hours to get the 'perfect' team. No offense at all to anyone who does spend the time, of course. That's actually a very commendable dedication.

I'm REALLY proud of my Adamant-natured Totodile in HG--I had just picked it up from Elm's lab and had this funny feeling that I needed to EV train it. Ended up a Feraligatr before I battled a single trainer :P

I checked its IVs when it was at a decently high level (around 60-something). For its stats being completely generated by chance, it ended up having pretty amazing IVs (if I recall, Attack and Speed were both 31s and everything else was above 25... I got super lucky). Made up for that shiny Pidgey I ran into yet couldn't catch due to not having any Poké Balls.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Abobo (+600)

I totally agree on not using things like PokeGen to generate a perfect team; there's no fun in that. Team building itself has always been fun to me (with the exception of IV breeding).

Of all the Dittos I've ever caught, I've never gotten one with even all IVs above 20. I think once X&Y come out, I'll finally grit my teeth and try until I catch a really good one, and get into IV breeding for once, just to have at least one 'perfect' team.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Taylor Lyndis, Audio Engineering Director
Big Boss (+6000)

I've had a team I've deemed 'perfect' without all that stuff.

Seriously I see no need for it and manage just fine without it.

<+overcoat> I am totally a weaboo fangirl | * +sixto stares at the tits | Share & Enjoy | <ocre> I'm the John Ratzenberger to OCR's pixar | <jeffball> my balls are everywhere
Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Jude Alexander
Ganon (+8000)

EV training is kind of important, but I think you can skip out on IV bullshit and still have a strong team.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Dr. Wily (+1300)

I always do my first run through without worrying about IVs or EVs at all. At most, I'll try to get a Nature that isn't in opposition to the Pokemon's effective stats. After I beat the game I'll decide to EV train one or two monsters but its not a big deal.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Taylor Lyndis, Audio Engineering Director
Big Boss (+6000)

I've never (intentionally) EV trained.

Seriously.

Never bothered with IVs either.

And I've gotten through all the games just fine.

<+overcoat> I am totally a weaboo fangirl | * +sixto stares at the tits | Share & Enjoy | <ocre> I'm the John Ratzenberger to OCR's pixar | <jeffball> my balls are everywhere
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Abobo (+600)

I don't build these teams for the main game. They're for online battling. And when I say 'perfect', I mean in an OCD kind of way. I have several very strong teams, but they're not perfect in that they can be improved upon with strong IVs.

Last edited by Soul Splint; 01-13-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Jude Alexander
Ganon (+8000)

EVs don't matter for the main game, but they do when battling other people who take the time to EV train themselves.