Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Akuma (+1100)

LOL, yeah, it was in reference to the argument before. Thanks for chipping in with well thought out post though.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhsu View Post
http://kotaku.com/5941793/valve-is-b...h-out-consoles

The comments bring up a lot of good points about the logistical challenges involved in getting the best experience from a living room PC, including

1) Still have to deal with all the regular PC hassles like driver updates, incompatibility, upgrading hardware, finding graphics settings that are tolerable to look at while still being playable, etc.
2) The noise/lack of privacy from being in a main activity area.
3) PC games are designed to be played with the screen a couple feet from your face, so often text and smaller details become indistinguishable at a greater distance.
4) TVs actually have slightly different resolutions from PC displays, so overscan becomes an issue.
5) And this one is from personal experience: you can't get surround sound to your existing home theater receiver via your motherboard's SPDIF. It only supports stereo PCM. So either you need to have a set of PC surround speakers alongside your home theater ones, or you need to buy a sound card that will encode the output to a Dolby or DTS signal.
The issue with receivers did used to be a problem in the past, but with modern receivers, it is no longer a barrier. Almost any receiver sold after 2008 supports HDMI input, which can take 7.1/24/96 in raw PCM. HDMI 1.4a can take 3D along with Master Audio or TrueHD. Even low-end $200 models now include these features.

I have a PC running Windows 8 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR1009 and it works great. I can play DVD-Audio discs and watch 3D movies no problem. The only issue is that you need to buy something called an "HDMI detective," or else AMD's and Nvidia's drivers reset the display when you turn the TV off. If you want the PC to run all the time to host a server for web development, as I do, you need to buy one of these devices so that you don't have to restart every time you turn on the TV.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Akuma (+1100)

A little news. Nothing really that exciting, but looks like things are moving along!

1000 devs and 50 distributors sounds like a start at least. Also big name on board sounds less and less like a scam everyday! We'll see!

Last edited by Crowbar Man; 09-30-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
David Hsu
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Well, now that the dev units have shipped and people are busily working on their games and apps, I think we can safely say the OUYA wasn't a hoax.

In fact, not only were they able to get the console out in a year, they're saying they'll be releasing one every year.

I'm a little worried, since it introduces the risk of fragmentation, but I suppose developing for a few versions of OUYA is still better than trying to be compatible with hundreds of phones.

Still, as long as it does this, I'm happy.

<Bleck> Neblix I will punch you in the soul
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Songs of Light and Darkness Asst. Director, Impulse Composer
Strider Hiryu (+5000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Well, now that the dev units have shipped and people are busily working on their games and apps, I think we can safely say the OUYA wasn't a hoax.
But any intelligent person is a good skeptic, and any good skeptic openly dismisses anything he/she doesn't get their hands on, so while I read some words on a website and saw some pictures, I have no seen no empirical evidence this supposed "system" actually exists, and therefore it does not exist and anyone who believes otherwise is irrational and believes in fairy tales.

THIS KIND OF THINKING MAKES ME SMART DERP. /pointlessrantdirectedathardcoreskeptics
Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
David Hsu
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I think the skepticism around this was warranted, honestly. I ended up backing it (after unbacking it) for a few reasons:

A) Julie Uhrman has an industry record, she isn't just some random person.
B) There would be no way anyone could get away with a scam of this magnitude with so much public exposure.
C) They finally offered a Kickstarter-exclusive special edition console. Otherwise there was no incentive to not just wait until it was actually released.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Emery Monzerol
Red Mage (+400)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteo Xavier View Post
But any intelligent person is a good skeptic, and any good skeptic openly dismisses anything he/she doesn't get their hands on, so while I read some words on a website and saw some pictures, I have no seen no empirical evidence this supposed "system" actually exists, and therefore it does not exist and anyone who believes otherwise is irrational and believes in fairy tales.

THIS KIND OF THINKING MAKES ME SMART DERP. /pointlessrantdirectedathardcoreskeptics
I have one of those dev ouya consoles, and my game is playable on it ^_^ it IS real

"Let's get this show on the road" ~Geno
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Nabeel Ansari
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Wait, did people actually think it was a hoax

Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
David Hsu
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

Ben Kuchera was skeptical as well.

Edit: And now admits he might have been wrong. :P

Last edited by Dhsu; 02-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Frog Mario (+1475)

Quote:
Kuchera is a hack and is as bad as the rest of game journalism.

"games are art" - LOL.
8bittherapy