Reaper tips

Argle

So, track folders are great for contiguous tracks, but if you want to group non-contiguous tracks you need a different solution. For this you can create a bus/submix/aux track. For definition's sake, I think of a submix as a bus routing where you turn off the Master/Parent send of the sending tracks. AKA a way to group tracks together to control with a single fader, or apply FX to the lot. While an aux track is routed in addition to the Master/Parent send. AKA the way you would set up a reverb bus. You want both the original signal and aux feed. So aux = keep Master/Parent send checked, submix = turn off Master/Parent send.

First way to create a bus is manually do the routing. Works but is slow and laborious.

A better way is to use the excellent SWS Cue Buss generator, found under the Extensions menu. Select the options you want and instant bus. Remember to turn off the Master/Parent sends for the tracks if creating a submix.

Continuing to piece the puzzle together, the cue bus generator can be run as an action. This gets rid of the need to open the window.

Now the real power starts to come in when you use a track template option in the cue bus generator. Allows for a more customized bus than a default track.

With all these tools in place, an idea for a custom action begins to emerge. One that creates an aux or submix with minimal work. We need to

- turn off the Master/Parent sends for the selected tracks (if creating a submix)

- use a cue bus generator action on the selected tracks, perhaps with a bus track template we've created

- open a dialog box to name the resulting bus

See if you can create a really efficient action for bussing. You'll save loads of time in the long run.

Edited by Argle

• 4 weeks later...

Time to resurrect this moldy old corpse and infuse it with some dark necromantic energy. Adding markers is very easy, the M key. You notice markers are numbered. Sometimes you might want to give them a label, other times the marker itself is all you need. What inserting markers DOESN'T do is reorder the numbers if you insert them non-sequentially. You can see an example here. It just looks... weird. Good thing though, is there is an action to renumber all markers. Two actions, actually, doesn't matter which one you use. Let's take a look.

So from here it's simplicity itself to make a custom insert marker action that first inserts the marker, then renumbers all the markers. That way your makers will always be in order.

• 3 weeks later...

rs5000.JPG

So there's ReaSamplomatic5000, which has always been a bit of a micky mouse sampler that comes with Reaper. But actually, it has been improved in a recent version! Two things are the ability to import multiple files, and a graphical ASDR. You can drag and drop files for easy loading. You can import a selected item for the arrange window, as well. It won't replace Kontakt by any means, but for quick and dirty sample playback you might get some use outta this. The GUI looks a bit wonky but if you're a Reaper user you should be well used to that. :lol:

Some tips for the waveform display, clicking on the upper half will zoom in, clicking on the lower half will zoom out. Mousewheel will zoom as well. You can drag left and right to scroll the waveform. Dragging up and down will resize the waveform.

There are a number of "last touched" actions that are quite nice.

Show/hide track envelope for last touched FX parameter is for my money the easiest way to create envelopes for FX parameters. Wiggle a parameter, run this action and bam, there it is.

Show/hide parameter modulation for last touched FX parameter is the same thing for parameter modulation. Again, saves pointless clicks and menu navigation.

Show/hide track control for last touched FX parameter is again the same concept, but for adding track control knobs if that is your thing.

These are 3 of the most obviously useful ones, but there are many more "last touched" actions. Type it in the search box and see which ones pique your interest.

Stripping silence is yet another great Reaper feature that is bafflingly hidden/not advertised. I have long thought the devs need to hire someone to totally redo the menus, because there are so many sweet features that an average user might not find. Maybe it can't be avoided with a DAW with so many options. The only place I've found this feature is in the action list. But I digress, let's look at an example.

This has big potential for sound design, item processing, etc. Combined with the ability to batch render it's a snap to record a bunch of things, split them up correctly and render them with minimal hassle. Don't forget to experiment with the settings. This is a different action from Dynamic Split, which is more readily visible in the menus. Dynamic Split is useful as well, but this action is (IMO) easier and quicker for this type of splitting job.

Have I talked about batch rendering yet? I don't think so. I'll get to that next.

Exploding items. It's not as exciting as it sounds, but somewhat related to the previous and forthcoming posts. You may have a track of items and want each on a separate track, and wish you didn't have to tediously move them by hand. Well, you don't.

There are various other explode actions for other purposes, so have a look at them.

btw, if you're wondering what the reverse action of this is, it is called Item: Implode items across tracks tracks into items on one track.

One of my absolute favorite things I like about Reaper over Sonar is batch rendering, which Sonar lacks. Some DAWs can do it, but not all. Any kind of audio based job where you need to export a bunch of files, is a job for batch rendering. So it's an absolute necessity for sound design and album mastering, among other things.

The first way is to use the Render dialogue box. Here's an example. This is better for rendering across tracks than rendering multiple items within a single track. Remember to select Stems (selected tracks) in the top box.

Note: this gif example would not properly create renders of the items only, it would render the entire project length. To make it work correctly in this example, you would first create regions for each item, then set the Render Bounds to region.

For item-based rendering you want to use the Batch file/item converter. Here it is in action.

So yeah, batch rendering, good times.

Just wanted to let you know that this thread is amazing and we all appreciate the tips you give! Although it seems like its just you in here I can personally say these tips are great!

Haha, thanks. I don't really expect comments on this stuff, unless people have specific questions (or they want to post their own tips!). I'm just layin a bunch of crap out here, hopefully some of it will be useful to people.

You may be saying, "Argle, that trick to audition drum slices is all well and good, but can I do it with my MIDI drums? I'm not a caveman." Well in fact you can, and it doesn't even require a custom action. The MIDI editor actions in question are

Navigation: select next note

and

Navigation: select previous note

Using these you can step through MIDI notes to audition them, or just for easier editing.

Some more useful MIDI editor actions, since I tend to find keyboard commands more useful than mouse editing.

Edit: move notes up one octave

Edit: move notes up one semitone

Edit: move notes down one octave

Edit: move notes down one semitone

Does exactly what you think they would do. I find it useful to have keyboard shortcuts for transposing notes on the fly.

Some more useful MIDI editor actions, since I tend to find keyboard commands more useful than mouse editing.

Edit: move notes up one octave

Edit: move notes up one semitone

Edit: move notes down one octave

Edit: move notes down one semitone

Does exactly what you think they would do. I find it useful to have keyboard shortcuts for transposing notes on the fly.

Does it work properly if you have the key signature set?

Something that interests me is easier ways to create MIDI chords than drawing them manually. I've been experimenting with custom actions that will take a root note and finish the chord.

chord.JPG

This makes a major chord. You can make a variant for a minor chord, or any other flavor. The first action is important to make sure that the edit cursor is the right place. What you would do is first draw the root note, then run this action, repeat. I'm thinking key commands might be the quickest.

What you can't do with this action is select a group of root notes and automatically chord them all. I'm thinking it would take more work than a custom action can provide, perhaps ReaScript. If you have played around with chord actions and have your own ideas, let me know!

Edited by Argle

• 3 weeks later...

Another new MIDI feature in 4.6 is the ability to select a range of notes by clicking and dragging on the piano keys. Certain other DAWs support this, and now Reaper does. Right-drag highlights a block of notes, shift+right drag will add notes to the current selection, and ctrl+right drag will remove notes from the current selection. Here's an example.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know why ReaControlMIDI doesn't keep the selected patch when we reload a project ?

I choose the GM.dll and a channel, also choose to view 3 parameters on the track (vol, pan and program). On the track I then choose the corresponding channel. It works, I can get everything to work and separated (piano, guitars, drums) just like in Guitar Pro 5.

I saved it to a template but when I load it, I have to go to the "program" parameter and just re-click it. Say it's a guitar, it will have the piano sound until I manually click the patch in the menu. It's already on "guitar", I just click on it and then it works. However, it's annoying to do that for each track. I don't have that problem for the drums, obviously (channel 10).

Is there a way to tell it to verify its patches right from the start?

Do you know why ReaControlMIDI doesn't keep the selected patch when we reload a project ?

I choose the GM.dll and a channel, also choose to view 3 parameters on the track (vol, pan and program). On the track I then choose the corresponding channel. It works, I can get everything to work and separated (piano, guitars, drums) just like in Guitar Pro 5.

I saved it to a template but when I load it, I have to go to the "program" parameter and just re-click it. Say it's a guitar, it will have the piano sound until I manually click the patch in the menu. It's already on "guitar", I just click on it and then it works. However, it's annoying to do that for each track. I don't have that problem for the drums, obviously (channel 10).

Is there a way to tell it to verify its patches right from the start?

Honestly couldn't tell you man, ReaControlMIDI isn't something I use for program changes. Try the Reaper forums, if anyone has the answer it's them.

Also new in 4.6 is the ability to reverse (horizontally) and invert (vertically) selected MIDI notes.

midi_invert_reverse.JPG

More useful commands for your arsenal, you'll find these a time saver when constructing arpeggios and stuff. Running low on available keys yet? Having trouble remembering all the key commands you've made? I'm right there with you. :-)

• 4 weeks later...